Menu

Favorite little moments in TV shows you loved

poppy

Would love to hear moments from tv shows that made you smile or think or react in a way that was really genuine.

Here's mine for the day.  Pretty Little Liars is a show about stunning, glamorous young women (and their stunning, glamorous  moms)  enmeshed in a very elaborate set of scandals and secrets.  There are lots of WOW moments. But the bit I saw today that really struck me was a scene where a mom (played by Syndey from Melrose Place) and her daughter are stressed out while munching on carrot sticks.  The mom, tense, says "I really want a pretzel".  The daughter look at the carrot sticks mournfully and says "try putting salt on it".  Then the cut to commercial.   I just loved that little bit of realness. And that they aren't using TV fantasy food; cutting carbs to wear those outfits is no fun.

What's yours?

One of my favorite recent scenes is from when Mindy (The Mindy Project) went on a date with a film critic. This is what happened when he asked her what she thought of the movie they had seen-

Mindy: I thought it was very real. I thought they looked like people that would be in line behind me at the bank. I was not sure why we paid money to see it.

Her date: For me, it was refreshing to see normal people falling in love in a movie.

Mindy: I have not yet tired of seeing hot people fall in love.

The scen I most often quote is from a movie or tv show I never watched, I have no idea where I saw it.

Car drives by and the hero is pushed out of the moving car onto a lawn. He stands up and dusts himself off. His Mom? Asks what just happened.

Hero: my friends where just dropping me off.

Mom: friends slow down, friends stop!

The scen I most often quote is from a movie or tv show I never watched, I have no idea where I saw it.

Car drives by and the hero is pushed out of the moving car onto a lawn. He stands up and dusts himself off. His Mom? Asks what just happened.

That's the movie Parenthood. I love that movie! Now I need to find it and watch it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098067/quotes

That is from the movie, Parenthood.

Eta: Never mind, I see someone already said that. Sorry!

Anything Friends, but probably one of our all-time favorite moments:

A2BwT-wCIAA68Gd.jpg

That's what I was going to say, but that whole episode is sooooo funny.  "What's not to like?" is in our family vocabulary.  I laugh so hard I cry.  When Monica and Ross's mom goes through each of the things that are wrong and then says such nice things to Chandler I just laugh and laugh.  "It did not taste good."

ETA link.

This one is serious and poignant--Spoiler for LOST follows--

In LOST, Ben Linus has killed Jacob, an extremely important character. In this scene, Ben explains why he did it, and the effect it had on him.

He no longer thinks he is worthy of...well, anything but going over to the Dark Side.

But Illiana forgives him. 

When we watched it the first time, my son was having a very difficult time, relapsed yet again from his recovery. He thought we were finished with him--he thought he'd blown it forever. Staying in relationship, still loving him, still willing to try...this was so important to his eventual recovery.

When Iliana said I'll have you, it summed up all I held for my son.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1foE7nWD6Do

One of my favorites is from Castle's Halloween episode from like season 1 or 2.  They open the show with him strapping on all of his Firefly gear on.  As he steps out his daughter sees him and asks what he was supposed to be and he replies a space cowboy.  His DD then proclaims that he was that 5 years ago and needs to move on.

Castle Scene

We quote tons from Seinfeld, but  the one we like best is George saying "Worlds are colliding! Worlds are colliding!"

or "Summer of George!"

Yes, Seinfeld, oh, so much Seinfeld. Just quoted Kramer tonight (as he sits in a sauna): "It's like a sauna in here."

One that comes up when we have popcorn is "It's yellow!":

Erica in OR

From series 8 of the Simpsons, episode "El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Homer." Homer has eaten a insanely strong chili pepper, gone on a vision quest, and has become unsure that Marge is indeed his soul mate. Marge looks for Homer, and finds him in the lighthouse.

DH and I have been saying "I knew you'd do _____ because the road slopes down that way," since the first time we saw it.

--------

In the lighthouse, creepy music plays while Homer giggles insanely. Suddenly, we hear footsteps, and the door opening. It's Marge, who was worried when she woke up and Homer was gone.

Homer: But how did you find me?

Marge: Well, I was sure you'd be on foot, because you always say public transportation is for losers. And I was sure you'd head west, because Springfield slopes down that way. And then, I saw the lighthouse, and I remembered how you love blinking lights. Like the one on the waffle iron.

Homer: Or that little guy on the "Don't Walk" sign.

Homer: Wow, Marge, you really do understand me. See, I thought we weren't soulmates because...

Marge: ...we had a fight?

Homer: Right, and we don't like the same things. It's like you're from Venus...

Marge: ...and you're from Mars.

Homer: [resentfully] Oh, sure, give me the one with all the monsters.

One of my favorites is from Castle's Halloween episode from like season 1 or 2.  They open the show with him strapping on all of his Firefly gear on.  As he steps out his daughter sees him and asks what he was supposed to be and he replies a space cowboy.  His DD then proclaims that he was that 5 years ago and needs to move on.

Castle Scene

OMG, that is one of the BEST scenes ever in Castle.  James Bond and I are HUGE Firefly fans.  Another one in Castle is when they are chasing a guy through a warehouse with Chinese workers.  Beckett tries to talk to them, but they only speak Chinese.  Castle starts speaking Chinese and gets the info they need.  Beckett asks him where he learned Chinese, and he says "From an old show I used to love."  HAHA!  If you pay attention, you can find loads of Firefly references in Castle.

My favorite scene from Sherlock (Season 3 is so close!) is when the paramedics give him a blanket for shock and he thinks it's silly until, John comes up and wants to talk about so he says "I'm in shock.  Look, I have a blanket."

I loved the scene from The Office where it's Michael Scott's last day and he's saying goodbye to Jim.  But it's too emotional for both of them, so they pretend that they're going to lunch the next day and will say their goodbyes then.  Very real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS1jjvRiZG4

Loved that. I think The Office had the best series finale ever. Everyone got what they had always wanted. I found it very .... satisfying.

these were fun.  This one will date me:

The scene from Taxi where Jim is trying to get his driver's license.   For you youngin's the Jim character was a 60's druggie whose mind wasn't always all there.  You need the Youtube video to get the full effect:  It's a little long but the part I'm referring to starts at about min. 3:00, so just skip ahead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvn-tBeLpCk

Old, old one, but does anyone remember the scene from Cheers with Coach's daughter? She was a not-very-attractive actress, and he adores her and tells her she is beautiful. She gets irate with him and he tells her, "You look just like your mother," who had died many years ago and who Coach still missed. His daughter starts to say, "I know, and she was ugly, too." but she sees Coach's expression and says, instead, "I know, and she wasn't comfortable with her beauty, either." Then Coach goes on about how her mother got more beautiful every day he knew her, or something like that.