Menu

Human Biology for 5th grader

zenjenn

I need to preface this by saying we do no formal science. None. I used to do a little, but I rapidly came to the conclusion that seldom did my kids learn anything new from any curriculum I tried. This is just due to the fact that they are voracious readers, and have two parents (especially their physicist father) who can't take two steps anywhere without bothering to launch into scientific explanations about everything they see and do. They've always scored perfect or near-perfect on standardized test science sections, so I've never worried about it. I don't unschool everything, but for science it has worked.

However, "let curiosity be their guide" philosophy has failed in the human biology department.  This is because my girls, especially my oldest, are repulsed by all things related to guts, organs, blood, etc. This has been to the point where my kids actively even avoid the human bio sections of the children's museum.

But, DD#1 is now 11 yrs old. Time to force feed the biology/human biology information, whether she likes it or not. It's stuff she needs to know.

She is still a good self-learner, so I am looking for some excellent resources and materials I can provide her with in the spring semester to study human biology. Books, videos, etc. 

She's also at a point where a lot of the elementary stuff looks babyish to her, so I'm looking for materials that are middle-school level explanation of all functions of the human body - up into and including human reproduction (without any non-scientific commentary on sexual relations), presented in a way that is mature (no emphasis on 'grossology', etc), and interesting.

General bio is fine, but I am mostly looking for an emphasis on organisms (mostly human body but other non-human body systems as well.) She is already very well-read in more macro biology in terms of ecosystems, animal behaviors, and the like.

Any recommendations?

My 10 year old and I are using Noeo Biology 2 this year and we really like it.  But, it covers more than just human biology.  I was thinking of also suggesting Human Body Detectives, but I don't know that it's considered a full curriculum...but you could add it to something like Noeo.

ETA: looking at HBD again, maybe it is considered a full curriculum...with all the printables and stuff??  I don't know.  I only have the books and the workbooks, not all the online stuff. 

I will be buying Mr Q's Advanced Biology:Anatomy and Physiology for Doodle's 5th grade year (next year). Mr Q's 50% Sale is next month.

http://eequalsmcq.com/AnPChapterDwnld.htm

I also have this book for next year:

Your Body and How it Works

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Body-How-Works-Grades/dp/1580371116/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387919972&sr=8-1&keywords=your+body+and+how+it+works

We enjoyed the Usborne Internet-Linked Human Body (c. 2001) -- 2-page spreads on the different systems, including some good ones on nutrition, disease/health awareness, and genetics. Looks like they also have a more recent edition (2006/2007). Check out the "surprise me" option to see pages to see if it will work for your DC.

Reader's Digest: How the Body Works might work for you, too. Not too graphic, 2-page spreads of info, plus experiments.

Finally, a supplement that we really enjoyed was Exploring the History of Medicine (Tiner). Each chapter focuses on a key discovery throughout the history of medicine; from a Christian perspective. However, people seem to either really enjoy this one or find it boring, so you'll have to check it out to see what you think. 

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

• 3 weeks later...

We've enjoyed RSO biology level 2this year.

Could you elaborate a bit more on this program and what you liked about it?  I am considering this, but did not have success with their level 1 materials, this one looks different.....

Not an actual curriculum, but we enjoyed The Way We Work by Macaulay. It's full of pencil drawings with clever ways of demonstrating the functions. Near the very end there's a drawing of exactly how the sperm reaches the egg, which is easily skipped if it's not your cuppa tea.

The Seymour Simon books are very good.  They're accessible to young kids, but I really think they're best for 4th-6th grade.  There's a good bit of detail in there.

Seconding The Way We Work.

While Blood and Guts or Head to Toe Science are both on the elementary end, they really are things that should be fun for a 5th grader still.

You might also consider doing Ellen McHenry's The Brain.

Could you elaborate a bit more on this program and what you liked about it?  I am considering this, but did not have success with their level 1 materials, this one looks different.....

I like the RSO level 1 as well. I use it with my youngest, plus lots of read alouds.

First I like it that is is secular. 

There are a lot of options for each week's lesson. Famous scientist research, microscope lab, regular lab, review questions and tests. The lesson is written to the child and has spots to write within the text. It's not dumbed down at all. It's actually quite hard at times for my ds. I don't hesitate at tweaking or skipping around.

We haven't even done every part of every lesson and my ds is still learning a lot. There are sample pages available at Pandia Press. I honestly doubt we can finish it. It's something we'll continue with and go back to. I'm at a place in my life where I just want things laid out and scheduled for me, and yet still some flexibility.

I'll also tell you what I don't like about it. Lack of color. I like color with science. That can be remedied with library books and documentaries. The price! I got it during a sale but still....pretty pricey. The list of recommended books are focused on the research of a famous scientist section, since the student is expected to read and study that on their own. So there will be 5-6 books about Jonas Salk for example. I would have liked more variety in the booklists to reflect the main lesson as well.

But overall it's a well written, rigorous first biology course. 

I used a book similar to this (may be this one, just looks a little different) a few years ago with my kids.  Since your kids are voracious readers you could just have them read books that go with the different systems as you put the model together.  My kids also have enjoyed body "encyclopedias" such as Kingfisher or Eyewitness.. that type.  The models were actually quite challenging to put together (my kids were younger) not babyish at all.

As for curriculum, I've used a lot.  My dd11 will do Apologia Anatomy and Physiology this next semester.  It's a text and then has a notebook to go with it.  Lots of activities in there to choose from.  It is a Christian curriculum though... not sure if that's what you're looking for.

I am using Mr Q and RSO life this year for human body, and the font is annoying to me too. :) I do like the programs for my kids though.

If I had an older child and wanted to do the human body, I'd probably use Mr Q and supplement with library books, Bill Nye, and the Seymore Simon books. Well, that's what I'm doing now, but I'm keeping simple for my littles. But the info is there for an older student as well. And Mr Q is free to try. Well, so is RSO - the human body portion. So you could see what you think. We liked the animal and plant sections of RSO life too.