Menu

If I like Uncle Tungsten -

If I like Uncle Tungsten: Memoirs of a Chemical Boyhood by Oliver Sacks, what other of his books will I like? I have had the book for a couple of years and had started it before, but now that we are doing chemistry with Bob Thompson's book, I am completely sucked in. If you know of other chemistry-related books I might enjoy too, that would be great.

Uncle Tungsten is the only one that is autobiographical in nature. Sacks' other books are mostly clinical case studies. Lots of interesting tales about neurological and behavioral disorders and quite riveting for the neuroscience enthusiast. For more neuroscience-themed books check out VS Ramachandran.

If you like the adventurous, scientific childhood/ adolescence theme then Rocket Boys (Homer Hickam) and Paperboy by Henry Petroski might be fun. And of course the Feynman books: Surely You are Joking, What Do You Care What Other People Think, etc.

Other chemistry books liked here include Molecules at an Exhibition and others by John Emsley. Also as a pp mentioned, The Poisoner's Handbook.