Menu

Wisdom teeth extraction update and questions/advice about food and antibiotics

unsinkable

DD is doing well. She hasn't had any bad seizures and her pain is well controlled with mostly OTC meds. I am so happy she is doing this well. She had wonderful care at the hospital.

(I had a horrible time with my wisdom teeth and I was so afraid going into this.)

So...questions:

So far, she's had yogurt, jello, pudding, mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs. I am stumped about other foods. Any suggestions? Doc said no hot, cold or spicy foods otherwise I'd try ice cream or milkshakes.

Are antibiotics routinely given?

Swelling is really bad. She looks like she did when she was a toddler, with a round baby face. How long before it starts to recede? She had ice on and off for the first day and a half. Should we still do it?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I did a lot of tepid ramen noodles with broth.  That worked well.  

My extractions were all done at once and mostly all impacted teeth, with 3 extra teeth besides the wisdom teeth taken out because there was no room for them.  I looked like I had taken the worst of it in a boxing ring for the first few days and the swelling wasn't truly gone for nearly a week.  Ice on and ice off was really the only thing to do.  The warm sand thing they gave me was nice too to ease the pain.  

Avoid using straws and do take the antibiotics.  They really do help post extraction. My mom got an infection and dry socket after hers were taken out and it was horrible.  

That takes me way back. I was in the Navy, and ate whatever tasted good and didn't take chewing. How about banana? Otherwise, more of the same, and ramen is good. Ditto mac and cheese, or any canned pasta product like spaghetti-o's or ravioli. Did oatmeal get mentioned? Any cold cereal she'll eat after it's gotten mushy and not super cold?

My daughter remembers mostly pudding and jello. It didn't last too long, so she didn't get too sick of it.

Applesauce?

We were warned against tiny seeds, so no raspberry yogurt with fruit bits. And that makes me wonder about the advisability of bananas as well. (Maybe rice is also a bad idea?)

Neither of my kids got routine antibiotics. I wish they had for my first (as she developed an infection), and I was even more nervous about 2nd (because she has a heart valve that is more susceptible to infections). But the 2nd kid did just fine without antibiotics. (They claim there are more complications from the antibiotics than are ever prevented.)