Menu

s/o what things have you found in food that should not be there?

Melissa in Australia

I found part of a purple rubber band in my asparagus while in the hospital after giving birth. 

I once took a big swig of soda, and could feel what felt like a bug in my mouth (it was a grasshopper).  I spit it out all over the floor.  Unfortunately, I was working in the drive-in theatre snack bar, so had to clean it up myself.

I was eating a pork burrito at a popular burrito chain, and I ended up with a chunk of sharp bone, about the size of my big toe, in my mouth.  It had very sharp points and edges all over it and I was lucky I didn't injure my mouth.  I showed it to the manager - I filled out some kind of form, and got a nice bean burrito for free and they had to thoroughly check the rest of the pork they had. 

OK, I know it was my staple-in-the-sushi thread that started all this, but I'm really, really sorry right now that I read this spin-off  :ack2:  I mean, I know all about the bug part thresholds and such, but I try not to think about all of that. I did NOT expect mice, crickets, Band-aids, etc. *shudder*

Thankfully, I've never see anything worse than a little caterpillar in some of my CSA produce, although I did find some glass in a can of salmon once. It was in my mouth, and I quickly spit it out. I either didn't swallow any of it or didn't suffer any ill effects. But I'm grateful that I've not experienced many formerly (or still!) living creatures. 

Of course, now that I've gone and said that...

One time as a teenager I went to a restaurant with my mom.  I got a breaded, fried shrimp.  When I bit into one, I found a paper rolled up with numbers instead of shrimp.  There ended up being several on my plate that way.

My first job was at a little "Tea Room" (where I had to wear an outfit like "Alice", complete with tennis shoes).  One day the local restaurant reviewer came in and sat in my section (she went to our church, so I knew who she was).  I served her a muffin with her coffee and she found a used bandaid baked in it.  The restaurant got slaughtered in that review...but she raved about her server, who was mortified and apologetic. 

I've also found maggots in a Reese's cup from a vending machine.  Yuck!

That's really scary. How could a needle in an apple be an accident? Wouldn't someone had to have put it there on purpose?

Yeah, it's weird and scary. I don't remember seeing any puncture marks, so it's like it was put in earlier and the apple grew around it? 

I agree with a PP that this thread is great for diets, because I sure don't feel like eating now.