Menu

s/o what things have you found in food that should not be there?

Melissa in Australia

So what things have you found in food either home cooked or eating out that should not be there?

things we have had include;

a fake fingernail in spaghetti  ( my sister's, DH found it in his serving - she has never ever worn fake fingernails since)

lots of different insects in many different dishes ( homemade, what can I say, we grow all our own veggies- at least they are organic)

paper ( that was ds 17, he forgot to take the paper lining off the cake after baking and  before decorating)

ground up bones in a hamburger (take away)

metal shavings in peanut butter

Here's an 'almost' :    My mother-in-law lost her false teeth the same day she baked 40 loaves of bread. She thought it fell in and was baked in a loaf and she wondered how she was going to check all of the loaves to find them. Fortunately she found them days later in the chest freezer with, but not IN, the loaves of bread.

Here's an 'almost' :    My mother-in-law lost her false teeth the same day she baked 40 loaves of bread. She thought it fell in and was baked in a loaf and she wondered how she was going to check all of the loaves to find them. Fortunately she found them days later in the chest freezer with, but not IN, the loaves of bread.

:lol:

I had a small worm in a Halloween snickers bar. Unfortunately it was after I'd eaten one without looking closely at it. I haven't had snickers since.

Dh found a roach in food on his plate at a Chinese buffet. He won't eat at any buffet after that.

Thankfully I wasn't there. The funny thing is that it was my fathers favorite restaurant at the time.

I've had several incidents:

ABC gum in a salad from my high school cafeteria.

A rock in chocolate covered peanuts.

Plastic chunk in a brand new can of formula (formula company had me send it in for anylysis and claimed it came from my house, fortunately it was to be the last can for my daughter so we switched her to milk).

My husband found a 1/2" diameter metal piece that looked like it came from a pot scrubber in his food at a Chienese restaurant.

A bug in a sandwich from Panera. This was over 10 yrs ago. They gave me 2 free sandwich coupons and refunded my money. Not sure if it made up for it. This sandwich had sprouts on it, so I'm assuming that's where it came from and I haven't seen sprouts on the menu in recent yrs (yes I still go there every once in a while, but check for bugs before I eat)

My dad got a cherry pit in a bite of BLUEBERRY pie he stole off my mom's plate at Denny's. We said it served him right!

When I was a teen we had a youth group Christmas party with homemade snacks. The only item that no one ate was a pan of Rice Krispie treats with 12-inch-long red hairs woven throughout. Of course everyone quickly figured out who had made them.

I took one of my daughters chicken mcnuggets and started breaking it into smaller pieces for her and found a small, white feather.

My grandmother baked a pie and when she went to serve it she couldn't cut through it. She had bought a store-bought pie crust but forgot to take the plastic inverted top off of it before filling it.

I took one of my daughters chicken mcnuggets and started breaking it into smaller pieces for her and found a small, white feather.

That's weirdly comforting. You may be getting parts of the chicken you never intended to eat, but at least it suggests the McNuggets are, actually, made from chicken. I had my doubts.

My MIL tells of making cheeseburgers and neglecting to take the plastic off the slices of American cheese. She had been living away from the US for years and was unfamiliar with plastic-wrapped cheese slices, and it just never occurred to her that it wasn't edible.

I hope none if you found the Band-Aid that fell off my finger into a jar of pickles the summer I worked in a pickle production plant. Sorry about that, if you did.

A few years ago, we stayed in a bed and breakfast in Ohio. The guy who lived there made cookies every day. One day my SIL was chewing one and said there was something chewy in it and has she was trying to chew it up, the guy stopped and said, "Stop- spit it out!" He then said, "I lost my band-aid when I was baking this morning and I think you found the magic cookie!"

Sure enough, she spit it out, and there it was!!

A few years ago, we stayed in a bed and breakfast in Ohio. The guy who lived there made cookies every day. One day my SIL was chewing one and said there was something chewy in it and has she was trying to chew it up, the guy stopped and said, "Stop- spit it out!" He then said, "I lost my band-aid when I was baking this morning and I think you found the magic cookie!"

Sure enough, she spit it out, and there it was!!

:scared:

Guest submarines

My grandmother baked a pie and when she went to serve it she couldn't cut through it. She had bought a store-bought pie crust but forgot to take the plastic inverted top off of it before filling it.

Wow. So they actually make those out of chicken?

:laugh:

Moth larvae in a cookie bought out of a vending machine

A long red thread in a gallon of ice cream

A wasp in a glass of water at a restaurant

A cockroach on the bottom of a pizza (did they just slap that crust down on top to kill it as it scurried away?)

A 3 inch staple in a lemon meringue pie

A rock in a Nilla Waver

In my own cooking, the only thing that really comes to mind was the time I cooked a turkey without removing the giblets.  It was a paper bag, not plastic, so maybe not a big deal.  As I recall, the turkey tasted better than average.

That's weirdly comforting. You may be getting parts of the chicken you never intended to eat, but at least it suggests the McNuggets are, actually, made from chicken. I had my doubts.

Oh it starts as chicken that was factory farmed, no doubt. It's the processing with things like ammonia that's makes you wonder...

I had a fly baked into my breadstick at an Olive Garden in Kissame, Fl over 20 years ago.  It looked like a worker slapped the fly with the breadstick and then put it in the oven. The manager comped us a soda.  i have not eaten in an Olive Garden since.

I found a razor blade in chicken pot pie when I was a teen. There was a lawsuit that I was part of because there had been a string of similar incidents. Strangely, I don't remember the outcome or where I got that pie from. I think my brain must have blocked it out while in a strange self preservation mode.

A moment I remember more clearly is when I apparently tried to poison my family at the age of 10 by helping mom to make lasagna. I listened to her instructions, took it out of the fridge, popped it in the oven and set the timer. 30 minutes later the entire house smelled like burned plastic and when I checked the lasagna it had a beautiful glossy finish - I had forgotten to remove the plastic wrap.

I had a fly baked into my breadstick at an Olive Garden in Kissame, Fl over 20 years ago.  It looked like a worker slapped the fly with the breadstick and then put it in the oven. The manager comped us a soda.  i have not eaten in an Olive Garden since.

Olive Garden comped us NOTHING when we found 1/2 a cricket in our salad.

Misers.

Actually, just today I found an industrial sized stapled twisted in our store bought peanut butter. My kids eat spoonfuls of peanut butter all the time. It's a good thing I caught it, rather than them finding it when they are licking those spoons! Not cool.

I would report this to the company that makes it, and give them the lot number, etc. This is very concerning. A lot of food producers x-ray the food before it leaves in order to avoid contaminants such as this. 

Wow, I have never found anything like this. I feel so blessed that I don't have to break my food into pieces before I eat it. We do own a small restaurant and someone got a fly in their food this fall. But the fly was not cooked into the food, it just landed there and couldn't get away. We did comp the meal and get him a new one. He upset my oldest dd by going around the whole restaurant showing everyone the fly in his food. I couldn't blame him. It was probably the most interesting thing to ever happen to him.

I used to work as a server at Applebee's and have seen aphids, grasshoppers, and a live frog. I once found glass in my cup of pop hiding under the ice. Early in the month a friend was eating oysters for the first time. She found a live baby crab. It was adorable but gross.

Olive Garden comped us NOTHING when we found 1/2 a cricket in our salad.

Misers.

I can't believe they didn't even give you a soda.  Bad customer service.  That is why I never returned. Well, that and the fact that thinking about that fly turns my stomach. 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow, I have never found anything like this. I feel so blessed that I don't have to break my food into pieces before I eat it. We do own a small restaurant and someone got a fly in their food this fall. But the fly was not cooked into the food, it just landed there and couldn't get away. We did comp the meal and get him a new one. He upset my oldest dd by going around the whole restaurant showing everyone the fly in his food. I couldn't blame him. It was probably the most interesting thing to ever happen to him.

There are people like that aren't there :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A band aid in salad

A piece of glass in salad

a metal bar in the bottom of my soda cup

A fly baked into a hamburger bun

A exoskeleton of something like an earwig in the bottom of a take out tortilla chip bag

and a hostess chocolate covered doughnut that was actually coffee grounds formed into the shape of a doughnut and covered in the chocolate.

I am not very lucky...