Menu

Just wanted to share again how much I really like Journeys through Bookland

I just had to come back to this thread and post that I am now the proud owner of a lovely set of books 2 - 10. I picked it up quite reasonably on ebay and they are in beautiful shape. They have the black cover with the gold ship on the front, and they almost look new! I'm so excited! I have volume 1 in ebook format, and I have a few different vintage sets that have the same material as volume one, but if I manage to find a copy I will probably purchase it. ;-)

So I wonder how many of us have purchased this set of books because of this thread. I did!!! Red leather bound with the embossed ship on the front, all 10 volumes, 1939, eBay, beautiful!! My dd9 liked Swiss Family Robinson excerpt so much she asked to read the whole book, so that's what she is currently reading. Great purchase. I love everything about JtB.

The volume 10 I ordered surprisingly says volume 9 on the spine instead. Now I have to go look for 10 again. Bah.

That's disappointing! :grouphug:

More than a year ago I tried to buy Journeys through Bookland and when my big box finally arrived, it only contained one book, book 5. I was sooooooo mad! I got a refund, searched for another set and bought that. Waited several weeks and what do you think arrived......book 5.....again :lol:. I again got a refund (Abebooks is good!) and finally managed to get the whole set. Pfieuw.

It's a hazard with multi-volume sets on the used market, unfortunately. :P My 3 volume complete Shakespeare set came as just the comedies volume last week. Very punny. And when I did intentionally just order volume 1 of Growing Up with Science I got volume 8! O_o

What is with the missing volumes 1? I have a set of 2-10, as well, and assumed I'd be easily able to get a volume 1. Not!!!

I suspect it is the same reason my mother kept the books she read to me, but then got rid of the rest of the books until I was old enough to raise a fuss about particular books. 

Probably also related to the fact that the early volume of Childcraft that has the picture books is in my daughter's bedroom and the rest is neatly on the shelf.  I imagine other people did the same with Volume 1 of this set.  

Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly. . .

The Kindle editions don't have illustrations, correct? Otherwise are those of you using the kindle editions happy with them?

I'm not familiar with these books. To what age/grade would they be useful?

Thanks!

I am unfamiliar with the Kindle editions and don't know of they are the newer ed or the original. The newer eds do not contain the same booklists as the older eds.

The books are a compilation of great literature selections in increasing level of difficulty in sequential volumes. So vol 1 contains nursery rhymes, fairy tales, and fables while vol 9 contains selections from Dickens, Poe,Stevenson, Bacon, Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and Patrick Henry, etc.

All of the early ed volumes are available for free on Gutenberg.

I am unfamiliar with the Kindle editions and don't know of they are the newer ed or the original. The newer eds do not contain the same booklists as the older eds.

The books are a compilation of great literature selections in increasing level of difficulty in sequential volumes. So vol 1 contains nursery rhymes, fairy tales, and fables while vol 9 contains selections from Dickens, Poe,Stevenson, Bacon, Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and Patrick Henry, etc.

All of the early ed volumes are available for free on Gutenberg.

This is so helpful! Thanks!

ARGH! I'm going to have to find a copy this summer. At least now I know to look for the older 10-volume set. One question - will these work as group read-alouds? Or as between term reading? I hesitate to add more reading to AO, and I don't want to drop that.

That's dissapointing! :grouphug:

More than a year ago I tried to buy Journeys through Bookland and when my big box finally arrived, it only contained one book, book 5. I was sooooooo mad! I got a refund, searched for another set and bought that. Waited several weeks and what do you think arrived......book 5.....again :lol:. I again got a refund (Abebooks is good!) and finally managed to get the whole set. Pfieuw.

Third try's a charm?

That is pretty crazy.

I remain thrilled with my purchase. When DS finishes an assigned novel (which takes several weeks), we turn to this set before starting the next novel.

I assign things from various volumes, looking for pieces that go with our history or interests. We do not read through in order. I am going through all the volumes and making an annotated Table of Contents to hasten the process of finding what I want.

My volumes are again under a table, like they were when I found them last month, when cleaning.

Reading volume 10 helped me teach CM style language arts better though–permanently I believe. I'd really like to get a cheap but nicely formatted paperback copy of volume 10 to mark up, highlight and sticky-note.

Hunter, do you think the volumes other than 10 will be useful to you at some point? 

I'm really torn. I love old books and am drawn to these, but when I browse through them on-line I just don't think they'll be a good fit. I keep thinking we would be better off buying the full novels. We already have many volumes of poetry.

Did anyone get Journeys through Bookland and not feel the love?

I just have so many things. This would be ONE good way to go. But, Woodland Mist Academy, like you, I am drawn to complete novels right now. I'm really on a Robinson/TJE/DEAR/SSR type kick.

I'm in no rush to get rid of my set, but if if someone came over and wanted them, I'd let them have them.

I just have so many things. This would be ONE good way to go. But, Woodland Mist Academy, like you, I am drawn to complete novels right now. I'm really on a Robinson/TJE/DEAR/SSR type kick.

I'm in no rush to get rid of my set, but if if someone came over and wanted them, I'd let them have them.

I have so many old books from our Waldorf and CM days that when I look through Journeys online I keep thinking of all the books we already have with much of the same material.

Would you mind decoding for me? I've never heard of some of those programs.

Thanks so much for your response.

Hunter, do you think the volumes other than 10 will be useful to you at some point? 

I'm really torn. I love old books and am drawn to these, but when I browse through them on-line I just don't think they'll be a good fit. I keep thinking we would be better off buying the full novels. We already have many volumes of poetry.

I got a copy of Vol. 10 and so far have just skimmed through it.  It looks absolutely amazing, and I hope I get around to reading it soon!  It's the "how-to" and "why-to" volume.

I have the others on my kindle.  I never have used them.  But I hate kindle books.  I need to be able to  hold it and flip through it and pick and choose.  I will probably never use it on the kindle.  I have also hesitated to buy them, because I did get the Junior Classics and I find myself often disappointed with them, as I often am with Yesterday's Classics, something I also have on my kindle.  

So no, I don't feel the love in kindle format.  I might feel differently if I had the real live books in my hands . . . . so, no real help.  Again.  ;)

While there are some works that are only selections, there are complete works as well. I picked up 2 volumes and skimmed through them and for example the entire Dicken's Christmas Carol is in there. But, that is not why I like them. I prefer reading whole books as well, so I definitely agree with you. But what I like is how the literary studies are set up. For example, look online at volume 8. There is an introduction to Shakespeare followed by the Lamb's version of The Tempest, followed but the complete Tempest, followed by a study of the Tempest. Considering you can access them for free or buy them cheaply, the most I pd for the entire set was something like $70, it is worth it for me personally for using teaching intros to various people, the selections we would never read otherwise (for example, the abridged version of David Crockett in the Creek War from his autobiography), and the guide. But, if I didn't detest reading books online, I would opt for the free versions unless I knew I would use them.

I got a copy of Vol. 10 and so far have just skimmed through it. It looks absolutely amazing, and I hope I get around to reading it soon! It's the "how-to" and "why-to" volume.

I have the others on my kindle. I never have used them. But I hate kindle books. I need to be able to hold it and flip through it and pick and choose. I will probably never use it on the kindle. I have also hesitated to buy them, because I did get the Junior Classics and I find myself often disappointed with them, as I often am with Yesterday's Classics, something I also have on my kindle.

So no, I don't feel the love in kindle format. I might feel differently if I had the real live books in my hands . . . . so, no real help. Again. ;)

You don't like Jr Classics! Gasp!!!! ;) just teasing!! :) We love them for read alouds. When Molly was Six and Nelly's Hospital are absolute favorites here. There are a couple of volumes I am less fond of, but some of them have been read over and over.

You don't like Jr Classics! Gasp!!!! ;) just teasing!! :) We love them for read alouds. When Molly was Six and Nelly's Hospital are absolute favorites here. There are a couple of volumes I am less fond of, but some of them have been read over and over.

Oh, some of them are great! But I've been going through them looking for pre-Hobbit stuff - Beowulf, Norse Myths, that kind of thing.  I thought John Harrington Cox's Beowulf chapters were awful, so I'm getting Rosemary Sutcliff instead.

I've tried to read them aloud to Morgan a few times, but her "mom's trying to read me something educational" detectors go off . . .  :glare:  I can read her anything if it is a beautiful book with pictures, but for some reason she balks at these.

While there are some works that are only selections, there are complete works as well. I picked up 2 volumes and skimmed through them and for example the entire Dicken's Christmas Carol is in there. But, that is not why I like them. I prefer reading whole books as well, so I definitely agree with you. But what I like is how the literary studies are set up. For example, look online at volume 8. There is an introduction to Shakespeare followed by the Lamb's version of The Tempest, followed but the complete Tempest, followed by a study of the Tempest. Considering you can access them for free or buy them cheaply, the most I pd for the entire set was something like $70, it is worth it for me personally for using teaching intros to various people, the selections we would never read otherwise (for example, the abridged version of David Crockett in the Creek War from his autobiography), and the guide. But, if I didn't detest reading books online, I would opt for the free versions unless I knew I would use them.

Oh, that's cool about the Tempest! I'll have to check that out.  I hate reading online and on the Kindle, so if I find one of them that I really want to read (like Vol. 10) I will just buy the book.

I have so many old books from our Waldorf and CM days that when I look through Journeys online I keep thinking of all the books we already have with much of the same material.

Would you mind decoding for me? I've never heard of some of those programs.

Thanks so much for your response.

Robinson Curriculum, Thomas Edison Education, Drop Everything and Read, Silent Sustained Reading.

Basically–Just READ! And then read some more.

For example, look online at volume 8. There is an introduction to Shakespeare followed by the Lamb's version of The Tempest, followed but the complete Tempest, followed by a study of the Tempest.

This is an excellent example--thanks!

We have the Lamb's version of The Tempest, which my daughter read a few years ago in fourth grade. We also have http://www.amazon.com/Asimovs-Guide-Shakespeare-Understanding-Enjoying/dp/0517268256 for reading along with the complete Tempest (or many of the other works of Shakespeare). It's difficult to imagine that we would gain any substantial additional benefits from the comments in JTB.

You also mentioned A Christmas Carol  being included. That would be yet another copy to add to the ones we already own.

So while there are probably countless tidbits we wouldn't read unless we bought these books, time spending reading those tidbits would be time not spent reading something else (like the books we already have around the house we haven't been able to get to yet. ;) . )   I guess I'm not sure I find the tidbits to be overly compelling compared to other alternatives.

I like what Hunter said earlier about Journeys Through Bookland being ONE good way to go. I think it's just not the way for us. :)

I'm torn as well!  I was the type of child who LOVED these sorts of anthologies, and would read the pile of old textbooks and anthologies in the cupboard at the back of the classroom.  I discovered a lot of good stuff that way.  But another option would be to just print out a copy of the TOC and then, for example while reading the Tempest, go ahead and just find the kindle reference to the Tempest study and use it as my teacher's guide.  Tough to decide! 

I did download and read the entire guide (book 10) when this thread started, and felt like it was immensely helpful and interesting, so I know I wouldn't "regret" having these on my shelves...  Argh!

I remember reading a quote once, can't remember who it was, to the effect:  "We believe that by buying books, we are actually buying the time to read the books".  LOL.  That is definitely me! 

These books are not rare, but they are certianly limited. Any of us that are not sure we are going to use them, owe it to others not to hoard them.

Since I already own them, I'm not being quick to spend the considerable shipping to get them to someone else right away, but, as I said, if someone came to my home and wanted them, I would let them have them.

I don't recommned purchasing a set, unless someone at least THINKS they are going to use them. They are a good set, especially witht the reading guide, for someone who doesn't have a lot else. For those of us already set in our ways and with lots of other books, they are not always a responsible purchase

• 1 month later...

Dredging up this old thread--

I received my set of Journeys Through Bookland (1922, 10 volumes) a couple of days ago.   :001_wub:  I love all of them. I started reading volume 1 aloud to my kids.  Even my 5th grader likes it.  The guide is wonderful.  The set warms my little Core Knowledge heart.

Thanks, 8!

OK, so I'm changing topics a bit. 

I was at the library book sale and I got the 1902 edition of Young Folks Library for $16.75 (21 books, 75 cents each!)

Is anyone familiar with these?

We have a couple volumes from different editions. The books were read lots in the younger years.

Right now I'm kicking myself for giving away a beautiful set of short stories before the moves. Such gorgeous books! What was I thinking? :huh:   :crying:  :confused1:

We have a couple volumes from different editions. The books were read lots in the younger years.

Right now I'm kicking myself for giving away a beautiful set of short stories before the moves. Such gorgeous books! What was I thinking? :huh:   :crying:  :confused1:

Can you replace them via ebay or Abe books?

• 1 month later...
Guest tkontheway

Just a note that I have the full 10 volume set of the 1939 edition of Journeys through Bookland and hope to place onto classifieds asap....it truly is a wonderful set of books and the set I have was my father's.  I have read the majority of the set; time to pass on to someone who will enjoy!

• 3 months later...

If anyone is still looking for a set, shopGoodwill has a 1909 set here, 11 volumes:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Book-Journey-Through-Bookland--11-Volumes-18463973.html

It's definitely a good deal if you can pick up from that Goodwill (Indianapolis), but it could still be worthwhile for some even with shipping/handling costs. 

Just so everyone knows, the shipping is $20 (at least to my house).  

Everyone, stay away!  My pretty   :laugh: