Menu

Not only does middle son come home on Friday...

Bureaucracy has been "solved" (I think), so...

To update on my BT for those interested, things get started with that on Friday - just before picking up middle son from BWI. It should make for an interesting day. I expect "the rest" to start in Jan (6 weeks worth as currently planned). It's all going to be radiation as it's in an inoperable position (radiation is less risky than surgery would be - "good" tumor, but bad position). I'm perfectly fine with that. I prefer Star Trek's tricorder-type system to cutting into my gray matter!

All should be fine in the end (more or less - it's not the deadly type of tumor), it's just an inconvenience and a 6+ week "vacation" from school due to the commute (I'll miss it...)

However, had I stuck with "my" Plan B of waiting until August (after dropping youngest off at college) I expect I'd have been burned at the stake and/or voted off the island by my co-workers, certain family members, and friends, so... Peer pressure still runs strong in high schools and life.  This may be the first time in my life that I've ever actually given in to it though.  Blame that on hubby - who dealt with all the bureaucracy - mainly while I was away at school... so I wouldn't know what he was doing... :glare:   It's a good thing we're still very happily married.  ;)

Sometimes peer pressure is a good thing. ;)

To be "fair" to my side of things... waiting and watching the little bugger for 6 months WAS one of the options they gave me.  August would have been 9-10 months, so a little over, but not tons.

Plan A was to get it started soon (already in fact), but then we ran into bureaucracy at Place A.  I don't "deal" well with bureaucracy, and in the spirit of choosing my battles, I was more than willing to walk away as we had plenty of other "non-bureaucracy" options available - just none within commuting distance.

Youngest is a senior in high school... a VERY good kid, but nonetheless, still a teen - and peer pressure is still out there, plus it's winter with its driving issues, etc.  I was not willing to leave him home alone while we were gone for 2 months and hubby was not willing to let me "vacation" by myself.

Hubby deals with bureaucracy daily on his job as a Civil Engineer, so had no problems with that.

And in the end... he came up with a compromise I agreed to, reluctantly admitting it was better for us than the alternatives...

If I didn't have the sneaking suspicion I'd have been on the same side as my co-workers, etc, had we been talking about anyone else, I'd have never backed down. ;)

But that's how it all worked - short version.

We'll see what happens.  Prayers are definitely appreciated as nothing is definite when dealing with these sorts of things, but it "should" be relatively routine.

To be "fair" to my side of things... waiting and watching the little bugger for 6 months WAS one of the options they gave me.  August would have been 9-10 months, so a little over, but not tons.

Plan A was to get it started soon (already in fact), but then we ran into bureaucracy at Place A.  I don't "deal" well with bureaucracy, and in the spirit of choosing my battles, I was more than willing to walk away as we had plenty of other "non-bureaucracy" options available - just none within commuting distance.

Youngest is a senior in high school... a VERY good kid, but nonetheless, still a teen - and peer pressure is still out there, plus it's winter with its driving issues, etc.  I was not willing to leave him home alone while we were gone for 2 months and hubby was not willing to let me "vacation" by myself.

Hubby deals with bureaucracy daily on his job as a Civil Engineer, so had no problems with that.

And in the end... he came up with a compromise I agreed to, reluctantly admitting it was better for us than the alternatives...

If I didn't have the sneaking suspicion I'd have been on the same side as my co-workers, etc, had we been talking about anyone else, I'd have never backed down. ;)

But that's how it all worked - short version.

We'll see what happens.  Prayers are definitely appreciated as nothing is definite when dealing with these sorts of things, but it "should" be relatively routine.

Ah, I see. I'm glad this compromise worked then.

Prayers? You've got 'em! 

And I know a few kids at Covenant! They didn't have dd's major, so she didn't consider them, despite many calls from Admissions. One of our friends stayed in Liz Taylor's honeymooned w/ Warner (I think it was, who could blame me for not knowing that?)

who could blame me for not knowing that?

Now see?  That's one of the "pros" I have and will be able to use for the rest of my life.  I now have an instant, totally plausible (sort of) reason for why I can't remember things or act certain ways or whatever.  I used to have to blame it all on PMS, old age setting in, or something similar.  With (almost) any issue in life, there is always some sort of pro if one looks hard enough... ;)

Creekland, I somehow missed your current situation. :grouphug: Take care of yourself and enjoy your visit your boy. Thinking of you and sending warm wishes for healing and sanity, which I find that I am in short supply of when dealing with bureaucracy and healthcare. Hmmm. Maybe I meant patience. ;)

It's ok to have missed it.  I haven't REALLY publicized it all that much online.   Besides, only 2 months ago we didn't even know it was there...though technically the suspicion started 3 months ago.  Either way, it hasn't been up to the forefront in life for long.  I'm pretty thankful it didn't end up worse (or at least it doesn't seem to have ended up worse).  There are FAR worse things to be dealing with.

In the morning.

Ok... so I guess I'd best not suggest trying to meet up - or you'd owe a fortune in parking fees and either have an annoyed person you're picking up or have missed your plane if heading out.

It's still a small world though!

Ok... so I guess I'd best not suggest trying to meet up - or you'd owe a fortune in parking fees and either have an annoyed person you're picking up or have missed your plane if heading out.

It's still a small world though!

I would've loved too!  We'll be long gone and shopping by then.  I won't have any kids with me, so we can shop 'til we drop.

My sil told me about a shop in Eldersburg that makes chocolate including drinks and suggests we go there (although the chocolate is cheaper at Wegman's).  Have to decide if it's worth going out of our way.  Probably is for chocolate.

That's the secret we don't tell our teens, sometimes peer pressure is good!

With beliefs like that I'm not so sure you should keep your homeschooling qualifications... ;)  Doesn't it go along with being properly socialized?  I've resisted that since birth...

(But thanks for the prayers and well wishes.)

So many people think it should be dealt with now...  Even my dear, sweet mom was almost threatening to kill me if I didn't (thus ending any problems from the BT)!  I had visions of Bill Cosby... but she's way too old to produce another one "just like" me.

(Sigh)  Y'all won - well, not really, since it was already decided prior to my posting, but...

"I" still think August would have worked out better in our schedule... Maybe even June would have worked.  Someday we need to figure out how to plan these things better... (Note to self:  Think about these things prior to making "first" doctor appts to check out issues in the future...) 

Extra bonus... we got an e-mail from middle son last night... He got an A on his Orgo final, and already had an A in the class, so his final grade is an A.  He has two more finals to go before we get him on Friday, but I don't think either are as tough (in his opinion).  It should make for a fun ride home from the airport.  The A in Orgo will probably be a better Christmas present to him than anything we can get him.

And to anyone who is concerned about me vs the timing... I am ok with it.  Yes, it's a hassle, and absolutely, I detest bureaucracy, but after raising 3 kids for 18+ years, and managing a household, it's all "details" that CAN be worked around to make fit since there isn't a whole lot of choice in the matter.  It's not really that different than scheduling stuff related to parenting or family.  (That birthday party is TOMORROW and you need WHAT? Or in the teen years... You and your buddies are going where, when?  In a couple of hours?  Or the hubby dept...  You've got to go to a township meeting tonight?   Ok then, so much for our supper plans...  The feelings I have from each of the scenarios are pretty similar, but they all work out in the end.)

As a nice little Christmas (or shortly thereafter bonus)... middle son got his 4.0 for the semester AND the MRI I had before Christmas showed no significant change from the one 2 months ago - all good news IMO (the latter being news that also makes me wonder if I need to be pursuing this so quickly, of course ;)  ).

Hope everyone has had nice, relaxing holidays.