Menu

What do you do on school breaks?

Jean in Newcastle

free time! well and house projects for mom and dad to do so the kids get to hang out at their grandparents' house.  this break it will be working on the bathrooms.  2 need tile installed and the plumbing entirely redone.  We'll be pulling up the floor in both bathrooms one day this Christmas break and finding all the supplies as cheaply as possible.  The actual tiling will be done sometime when my brother (who wants to learn so he can tile his bathroom) is available.

Usually they just get to do whatever.  During the Christmas break we work on baking.  Kids can help or not, totally up to them.  We are taking an extra week this year that the schools don't get so DD will still have her dance classes and other activities.  This year during our spring break we are talking about doing a field trip to some historic sites, but it would mostly be for fun trip.  We haven't done a family trip in a very long time.

Depends on when the break is, and for how long. I find that *I* tend to get lazy if we don't have some kind of routine for too long. When dd was in ps and had summer break, we would try to plan an outing with friends at least once a week, and stick to our regular routine (swimming at the Y, library, errands) the rest of the week. There's plenty of free time even with those things if there's no schoolwork to worry about.

For shorter breaks, we just veg, especially if things have been busy. The week after Christmas rush, I'll be lucky to get up and get dressed! :lol:

It's mostly free time, but we like to plan a few things, such as a day trip, board game or movie marathon, etc., to make sure we do spend some time together. It's easy to all go off and do our own things. I try to plan some kind of organization project, but I don't know why. It never stays that way. Okay...off to start a thread on how not to do that!  

We usually just loaf around, but since my mom and step dad are coming, we'll do…something.  It's awfully cold though, and my mom and step dad do not like the cold, and most of the stuff to do is outdoors.  Of course, they'll probably be just as happy hanging out with the boys and spoiling them beyond belief, so that it will take me 2 weeks to get them back to normal.  :)

On a couple of weeks break for winter: A few around the house projects for me, mostly involving cleaning out a few closets.  Lots of play time for the boys.  If they start getting cranky then they can help me on a project.

During the summer:  We keep up with some fun (but required) reading, watch horrible histories, do a dreaded math sheet to keep the math facts from falling out of their brains.  And that's about it.  I work on preparing for the next year and bigger house projects (like cleaning out the entire attic or basement or shed/garage.)

Sleep

Exercise extra to try and get a good routine going

Bake to stock freezer with breakfast items

Sleep

Clean/organize the house

Garden

Sleep

We do quite a bit of educational travel, so some breaks are taken up with that

We school year-round so local field trips tend to happen whenever

DS's time is largely unplanned during breaks, though he is involved in certain activities year-round so those keep going

We used to bake cookies, eat cookies, take walks, clean out the horse stall, play with the chickens, go to the library, the ice skating rink (indoors in CA :)) or the roller skating rink, attend matinees or rent movies (before Netflix streaming) and watch "It's Christmas Again, Charlie Brown," Rudolph," and a few other seasonal movies. Ds usually had a book to read for analysis or book report due in January...

We have 3 weeks off for Christmas. We will spend one week in Singapore. We are going to the Singapore Zoo, Unjversal Studios, the new aquarium and several other things. Another week will be spent doing all the holiday things plus my dd's birthday is the day after Christmas. And then one week running errands I never seem to have time for and relaxing. I can't wait!

For Christmas we bake and enjoy lots of free time. Play with new toys! Read new books! Watch new movies!

When kids get grouchy, usually about the third day of no structure, I'll organize something - play with friends or a whole day of science projects or a hike or go to the zoo or swim at the rec center. 

I do some make ahead cooking for the freezer. And a little prep work for the coming months of school.

We do work hard to keep bedtime at the onrmal time and to make sure chores still get done. Sometimes I even add a few chores.