Menu

MP Latin Forms or Henle?

Trinqueta's taking First Form Latin online this year. I'd like to switch to the self study option because I think it's important to keep up her (okay, our) Latin study year round to avoid having to review/relearn every fall. Even though it's an online class, she still needs me to supervise her studies and do oral drills with her so I need to relearn along with her. Going forward we have 2 options:

-keep going with the forms through Fourth Form (which uses parts of Henle 1 for translation practice)

-switch to the "high school" Henle Latin class which covers units 1-5 the first year and 6-end the second year. Although this is labeled hs Latin, I think T'd be fine because units 1 and 2 would be review and she's chugging along with Latin pretty painlessly. I don't think 1-2 over a couple of months and 3-5 over 6 months is a stretch. We'd have to do hs Latin because there's no self study option for MP's middle school Latin and T likes taking the tests and hates missing questions so she's highly motivated to study. It's well worth paying the money for her to take the online tests for the boost in work ethic it brings.

So, I've got a list of questions:

If you've used or closely examined both the Forms and Henle Latin, which would you pick?

If you've gone on to Caesar, Cicero and AP, what did you use and were you pleased with the results?

How much of a difference is there really between the Forms and Henle 1? We like the nice, easy to read lay out of the Forms, but they clearly don't have as much translation practice since they end up adding Henle 1 back in to the Fourth Form course. Henle's cheaper, but that's not a decisive factor.

Is there another point in the Forms series that we could jump to Henle 1? Say after Second Form go to Unit 6? Has anyone done this?

I'd love to hear your experiences with either the Forms or Henle.

I found this thread while trying to decide what route to go with dd14.  She is currently taking an online class for lingua latina and is top of her class currently.  However I don't feel that what she is doing is enough for high school latin.  It is enough to earn credits based on gov't outcomes but not for my own feelings about what is best.  So since I wanted to place an MP order anyway to get that calendar I am trying to decide if I should add in one of the levels of forms latin (and if so which one) or go to henle 1. 

I am no help to you OP, just piggy backing on your thread because you are debating between the same courses I am.

I'm not familiar with the newer "Form" books from Memoria, but have worked through Henle I several times with my own children and taught Henle II locally.

I have a post here that may help: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/494527-anyone-else-not-prefer-henle-latin/?hl=%2Bhenle&do=findComment&comment=5310829

If your goal is indeed the exams, you probably should ask how Memoria adds to Henle in order to achieve that goal.  By itself, Henle won't do that.  Good program though.  I'm glad that I started there with Latin.

MP has study guides for the NLE exams now, so I guess they address those weaknesses. Do you think Henle through Cicero followed by MP's AP Latin class would work or do you think their AP course is weak? I haven't seen their average score, so I don't know.

I don't think Trinqueta would be up to do Lukeion's Wheelock course yet. She'll be in 6th grade next year so we're not in a hurry. First Form was the right level of challenge for this year and I'm inclined to stay with MP through middle school. A fast-paced class might kill T's enjoyment of Latin and there's no point in getting to AP Latin before 10th grade (and probably better 11th).

Brandy, for a high school student, I'd go with Henle. The Forms are great for younger kids, but they'll be lite for an older student unless you like the format a lot and don't mind doing 2 levels a year. They'd be a lot more expensive and consumable so that's also a negative for the forms. The major down side to Henle is the teeny tiny print and eye straining lay out. If it was more visually appealing, I'd be a slam dunk imho.

MP has study guides for the NLE exams now, so I guess they address those weaknesses. Do you think Henle through Cicero followed by MP's AP Latin class would work or do you think their AP course is weak? I haven't seen their average score, so I don't know.

I don't know either.  You can't call a class "AP" unless your syllabus has been approved by the College Board, and their description hints but doesn't explicitly say that they have done that.  The Latin AP just changed again, so maybe they are working on it.  They are using the right textbooks though.  You have to watch Latin IV and V courses.  Some are AP, and some are not.  Also keep in mind that the Latin AP is considered one of the tougher ones.