Menu

Board game for 4, 6, 8?

musicianmom

I'm assuming those are the ages of the kids, not the number?  I've had kids those ages, and these games have worked for us:

Apples to Apples (had to read the cards to my 4yo but he still really enjoyed playing)

Carcassone

Life (we got the anniversary remake of the old edition)

Gameright games: Sleeping Queens, Too Many Monkeys, Moose in the House, Hiss, Zeus on the Loose (are the ones we have. I try to add one each year or so)

Magic Layrinth

Sequence for Kids

Blokus

Both are simple enough to play for little kids, but older kids and adults still have the opportunity to strategize. They aren't based on luck like Candyland (shoot me in the face) or Chutes and Ladders (ugh).

This year we're adding Qwirkle and Enchanted Forest, both of which I think would fit your family. Qwirkle is kinda like Blokus in that it's simple to learn the rules, but there are lots of opportunities for strategizing. Enchanted Forest is just a for-fun fairy tale game with some elements of memory.

Yeah, I also wondered if that was the ages of the children or the number of players you needed to cover. 

For those ages you can play: 

Faces-like Apples to Apples but the cards have no words (easier for non-readers)

Uno-standard numbers in order game

Skip-bo-another standard numbers in order game

Incan Gold-press your luck while exploring tunnels underground, child just has to decide to stay or go

Momma Mia-adding ingredients to a pizza, youngest will have a hard time deciding when to throw in an order card but strangely it won't matter too much

For Sale-buying and selling silly houses, again the youngest won't do the best but they will have fun

Bohnanza-trading and planting bean fields

Animal Upon Animal-balancing animals on top of each other

Chateau Rocquefort-you are mice searching through an old house for matching cheeses, don't fall in!

Sorry Sliders-like shuffleboard

Loopin' Louie-trying to keep a moving plane from taking your chips by pushing it up at the right moment

Alfredo's Food Fight-flinging spaghetti and meatballs at a moving chef

The 6 & 8 year olds can play a lot more, but these should be open to the 4 year old as well. Do a search on here for similar threads. 

Qwirkle

Spot It

Blink is very fun and very fast. It’s a two person card game but we play it as rounds (2 people play, winner plays someone etc)

Uno is a classic for a reason 

My 4 year old loves the Angry Birds Space game. Someone gave it to my 7 yr old but she can play it easily so she’s kind of taken it over. 

Mastermind is one we all like, the 4 year old likes to make the code and someone else can guess, she needs help “scoring it†but it’s still fun. 

I'd like to find a board game that all my kids can play that won't make me want to run away screaming when they inevitably try to rope me into playing along. Ideas?

Invest in a babysitter or bribe a neighborhood kid to come over now & then & do that. (Make sure it's explicitly part of the job description before having them come over.) :lol:

Apples to Apples, if you pair up w/ the youngest to help read cards. I'm not much of a game sort of person (I still have nightmares over Chutes & Ladders), but we all love Apples to Apples.

Gonna second all the Gamewright games.

Each of my children gets a special night of playing games on his own once every two weeks. We have played a TON of kid games.

A special night sounds interesting. How do you make it happen? Does just the one get to play, or do they just take turns picking nights? Do you put the other ones in bed first? Just wondering...we often let our 2 oldest stay up to play games, but I know my 3yr old finds it unfair. Maybe we should give him a night of his own...the logistics just don't seem to work.

A special night sounds interesting. How do you make it happen? Does just the one get to play, or do they just take turns picking nights? Do you put the other ones in bed first? Just wondering...we often let our 2 oldest stay up to play games, but I know my 3yr old finds it unfair. Maybe we should give him a night of his own...the logistics just don't seem to work.

It rotates. On Friday it's Kid 1. Saturday it's Kid 2. The next week it's Kid 3 on Friday, Kid 4 on Saturday. Since we have 2 boys and 2 girls, we rotate boys' and girls' weekends.

On that night, we put everyone but the special night kid in bed. The special night kid gets three games with just Mom and Dad. We typically aim to have kids in bed by 8. Special night kid is in bed anywhere between 8:45 and 9:30 (depending on which child it is).

I really recommend something like this! We have a crew of kids so it's neat to spend time with each jndependently. I enjoy their personality an goofiness while it's just them. Some nights it reminds me why I love my kid if it's been a rough day.

It rotates. On Friday it's Kid 1. Saturday it's Kid 2. The next week it's Kid 3 on Friday, Kid 4 on Saturday. Since we have 2 boys and 2 girls, we rotate boys' and girls' weekends.

On that night, we put everyone but the special night kid in bed. The special night kid gets three games with just Mom and Dad. We typically aim to have kids in bed by 8. Special night kid is in bed anywhere between 8:45 and 9:30 (depending on which child it is).

I really recommend something like this! We have a crew of kids so it's neat to spend time with each jndependently. I enjoy their personality an goofiness while it's just them. Some nights it reminds me why I love my kid if it's been a rough day.

That's the exact same thing we do! Same rotation and all. Except we don't always play games. Every 4 special nights a child can choose screen time and watch a movie or play video game with mom and dad. Some weeks they choose puzzles to do or we bake together (or Easy Bake oven lol). In the summer it can also be a bike ride or outing but I find I'm less ambitious when the weather is cooler.

We also aim for a family game night each week. We play lots of games around here. :)