Menu

If you use MEP and have lots of littles OR you use it with more than 1 kid...

jkl

I've posted about this before, but I'm still torn. I have an almost 8 yr old ds in MEP yr 2. I love this program. I wish I'd been taught math this way! Just within this past month, he has started enjoying (or at least tolerating) math for the first time ever. I feel that something just clicked, and we are both much happier! So, what's the problem? Well, first of all it is sometimes a struggle to get it done, time-wise. We also have a 5 year old and a 2 year old, andaa ds gets extremely frustrated by any interruption when doing math. So, I've been doing it with him on the weekends, when dh can watch the girls. Now, though, we have a new baby coming in Feb, and it's already tough to fit it in on the weekends... So, I'd decided that we had to switch to something that would let allow me to teach a short lesson and then have him do some practice problems on his own. R&S and CLE both seem very solid, but I really, really want to stick with MEP. So, I'd love to hear form anyone who does MEP with a bunch of littles running around, and I'd love to hear how they do it. I was also thinking I should find another program I like because I just can't see getting MEP done with more than 1 child anyway, so I'd also love to hear from anyone who uses it with multiple children. Sorry, this is really scattered! Thanks to anyone still reading! :)

I let my 4 year old play on the tablet for 30 minutes while we do math. I hate this solution because I don't like kids using electronics a lot, but it's been really effective. You can download teaching apps, such as Handwriting without Tears, if you need to feel better about handing the tablet to a young child .

You can also try other things to keep them busy, such as shaving cream in a pan with a few drops of food coloring, a water tub, etc. There are lots of ideas out there for keeping little ones busy when you can't supervise them. I especially like the Montessori activities, which foster quiet, independent work.

Here are some websites that I have enjoyed:

http://theprincessandthetot.blogspot.com/

http://countingcoconuts.blogspot.com/

http://sporschool.blogspot.com/

I am expecting another baby, too, so I can't even imagine encouraging my younger ones to make a mess (such as playing with shaving cream) when I have a difficult time cleaning our "regular" mess. That is why I turned to the tablet (iPad).

Good luck!

Thanks, guys! Actually, I don't have a tablet, and we have an open floor plan, so our doors are limited! I do have tons of activities that my younger 2 do while ds and I work on other parts of school, but with math, he gets very frustrated if there are any interruptions--and with my girls, there are always interruptions!!!

ETA: With MEP especially, there is so much student-teacher give and take that it's hard to do with my girls around....

We don't use MEP but I do have lots of littles and use mostly teacher intensive curricula.  How it works for us is that, other than history/geography, science, and Spanish, everything we do is one-on-one.  This means that I am busy all day long, but when I'm working with one kid there are 3 big siblings to play with the toddler.  My oldest used to get distracted very easily (still does sometimes but usually not except during dictation) and we did her main work during the other kids' nap time.  That worked well when everyone else was napping.  Now, I just send the other kids upstairs to play.

If my youngest is feeling especially needy or unable to entertain herself I put on a leapfrog video. She does learn from them and it gives me 40 minutes of quiet teaching time. She usually plays independently with her dolls and a doctor bag after her homework is done. We also have activities like playdoh, sensory tubs, books on tape, or nonmessy art supplies that can kill time quietly.

When dd did MEP this summer I talked her through one of each problem before she started the practice sheets. That seemed to condense the teaching time.

If MEP clicks with your 8yr old, then I would definitely try to stick with it.

I work in a special needs classroom where there is an abundance of distractions, so I do have some ideas for you.

While your son is working and you are instructing, have him sitting with his back to the wall, facing the room. Put a divider in front of him (such as a cardboard barrier), so he can only see his own workspace.

Secondly, work with him in 10 minute increments, then let him work independently for 5 minutes. Set a timer and check in on him again. Let the littles know that you are not to be interrupted during one-on-one time. If necessary, put blue painters tape on the floor for a visual barrier. Your children will learn not to interrupt during those 10 minute intervals, but it will take time. Your oldest will also learn to work more independently.

Finally, when the new baby arrives, let your DS8 know that those 10 minutes are his, and usually won't be interrupted by baby. If baby cries during that time, tell him/her that it's big brother's turn right now. Sounds odd, but your older son will feel reassured and know that you'll stay on task.

It will all take some time and effort, but just remember, that you don't have to do MEP all in one big chunk. You can set aside 10 minutes at a time, 2 or 3 times a day.

I let my 4 year old play on the tablet for 30 minutes while we do math. I hate this solution because I don't like kids using electronics a lot, but it's been really effective. You can download teaching apps, such as Handwriting without Tears, if you need to feel better about handing the tablet to a young child .

You can also try other things to keep them busy, such as shaving cream in a pan with a few drops of food coloring, a water tub, etc. There are lots of ideas out there for keeping little ones busy when you can't supervise them. I especially like the Montessori activities, which foster quiet, independent work.

Here are some websites that I have enjoyed:

http://theprincessandthetot.blogspot.com/

http://countingcoconuts.blogspot.com/

http://sporschool.blogspot.com/

I am expecting another baby, too, so I can't even imagine encouraging my younger ones to make a mess (such as playing with shaving cream) when I have a difficult time cleaning our "regular" mess. That is why I turned to the tablet (iPad).

Good luck!

Thanks! I'll check out those resources for some new ideas. Congrats on your pregnancy!

We don't use MEP but I do have lots of littles and use mostly teacher intensive curricula.  How it works for us is that, other than history/geography, science, and Spanish, everything we do is one-on-one.  This means that I am busy all day long, but when I'm working with one kid there are 3 big siblings to play with the toddler.  My oldest used to get distracted very easily (still does sometimes but usually not except during dictation) and we did her main work during the other kids' nap time.  That worked well when everyone else was napping.  Now, I just send the other kids upstairs to play.

Well, if you can manage RightStart and AAS with all those other kids around, I should be able to do this! Thanks!

When dd did MEP this summer I talked her through one of each problem before she started the practice sheets. That seemed to condense the teaching time.

Good idea! I'll give it a try!

If MEP clicks with your 8yr old, then I would definitely try to stick with it.

I work in a special needs classroom where there is an abundance of distractions, so I do have some ideas for you.

While your son is working and you are instructing, have him sitting with his back to the wall, facing the room. Put a divider in front of him (such as a cardboard barrier), so he can only see his own workspace.

Secondly, work with him in 10 minute increments, then let him work independently for 5 minutes. Set a timer and check in on him again. Let the littles know that you are not to be interrupted during one-on-one time. If necessary, put blue painters tape on the floor for a visual barrier. Your children will learn not to interrupt during those 10 minute intervals, but it will take time. Your oldest will also learn to work more independently.

Finally, when the new baby arrives, let your DS8 know that those 10 minutes are his, and usually won't be interrupted by baby. If baby cries during that time, tell him/her that it's big brother's turn right now. Sounds odd, but your older son will feel reassured and know that you'll stay on task.

It will all take some time and effort, but just remember, that you don't have to do MEP all in one big chunk. You can set aside 10 minutes at a time, 2 or 3 times a day.

Hmm, never thought about breaking it up throughout the day, but I really like that idea! I used to teach in a classroom for kids with special needs too, but I think childbirth has wiped away all of my classroom management knowledge! :)

I do MEP with three children.  The other kids are old enough that they have assigned work while I work with the one.  I try to work through the teacher portion of the lesson, assign the page, and answer questions.  We can do 3 math lessons more quickly that way and keep working on other school work.