Menu

So who's getting excited about conventions next spring? Anyone doing Cincy with SWB?

The parking was a problem last time i went to the VA convention - i do worry about that . . . there's nothing walking distance I dont think?

You may be thinking about the big VA convention (HEAV).

VHEA is much smaller, and I've never heard of parking issues.  I'm considering going, but probably just leaving early Saturday for the day.

ME!  I'm going to Cincy.  Went last year and really, really liked it.  Plus my very bestest friend lives in Cincy (and she homeschools too) so it becomes our little girl time.   :)

I've lost track now of who is on the FB group, but we'll do our board get-together (always fun!) through there.  You can pm to connect if you want.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've never gone to the HEAV convention.  Sometimes my husband comes late to bring the younger kid to family events at the VA Homeschoolers and the parking is tight.  I have seen cars around the edges . . . i do think it could be a problem if SWB attracts a bigger crowd this year.  JMO of course.

• 4 weeks later...

Things are lining up, and it looks like I might be going to the Cincy convention this year. It is the week before I am going to NYC and it is less than $100 a person to turn it into a circle trip stopping in Cincy. I am excited, but kinda freaking that I might be flying to Cincy from Oregon for a convention.

Just worked it out with DH's schedule that I'll be going to Cincy.  I am very excited to go and to join in on the meet-up with all of you!   :)

Is it time already to book a hotel???

Absolutely!!  Get that hotel booked.  I did mine, um, two months ago?   :thumbup: 

Unfortunately, I gave up on the Cinti convention because it's more of a conservative religious lifestyle conference than it is a homeschool conference.

Bummer, we'll miss you!  :)

I'm going. First time to a GHC. Hopefully there will be a generous number of speakers with educational topics, or this will be my last GHC foray. I'm not interested in a sermon under the pretenses of a (hopefully not, quasi) educational conference. Have I set my expectations too high?

There will be all kinds of sessions.  They have a list of speakers, so you can quickly determine if any of them interest you.  Not all of them interest me (any more than they interest Tara), but I still have a lot of fun.  We'll have a board get together, and you'll make a ton of friends, see a huge vendor hall. My dd enjoys some of the sessions too...

This will be my first year attending --- which hotel did the kids like / do you recommend?

Can you give a newbie an idea of which hotels are adjacent?

You can google for maps of downtown Cincy and you'll see the Duke, the skywalks, and the ones that are adjacent.  The biggees are the Hilton, Hyatt, and Millennium.  After that you go a bit further, though sometimes those farther ones are really good deals if you need to house a lot of people or want to split rooms.  

You're bringing kids?  Did you see the Children's program?  If you plan to register, do so soon, as it fills up.  The Millennium will not have their pool open then, but the Hilton and I assume the Hyatt will.  I know the Hilton will.  If you'll have an extra adult with you, that can be a nice amenity.  They won't let the kids in without the adult.  The Hyatt is adjacent and the Hilton a block away.  All the hotels are nice honestly.  I've stayed at the Hilton and Millennium and liked both.  I haven't done the Hyatt, but I have friends who have and they seemed happy enough to return.  The convention site has the discount codes.  

The sooner you get your room the better at this point.

This will be my first year attending --- which hotel did the kids like / do you recommend?

I don't know how long you plan to stay in Cincy or if you'll have someone with you who would stay at the hotel with them part of the time, but the Great Wolf lodge is about 30 minutes from downtown and has a waterpark in doors and tons of fun for the kiddos.  It's also very close to King's Island if you wanted to try to sneak that in with them. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Georgiou Family

I'm so excited! We are scheduled to go to the Cincy GHC and the kiddos are registered for Children's Conference. We are new to homeschooling and have so much to learn and absorb. DH is taking time off work so we can all go as a family and take in as much as possible. Can't wait to meet everyone!

I'm going. First time to a GHC. Hopefully there will be a generous number of speakers with educational topics, or this will be my last GHC foray. I'm not interested in a sermon under the pretenses of a (hopefully not, quasi) educational conference. Have I set my expectations too high?

If you go often enough and like only a few speakers, I imagine it can get old. If you have heard the speakers you are most interested in at other venues, it might get old. It depends what you mean as a sermon as well. There are educational sessions as well as morale booster sessions in addition to some sermons. FWIW, the person who told me about the convention is an atheist with high academic expectations, so I really do think it is what you make of it. Whether or not it's the best fit for you is another story. I've heard great things about the Royal Fireworks Press conferences if GHC is not your cup of tea.