Menu

So who's getting excited about conventions next spring? Anyone doing Cincy with SWB?

If you're not, you should be!  We usually have a board get together.  Oh my, I was just realizing, I broke my usual NO HUMOR rule (after the Tim Hawkins dislike, blech, walked out) and bought tickets for the dude they're bringing in this year.  He seems funny in more of an intellectual way, and he's ADHD.  Very promising.   :lol:  Anyways, I don't know what night that is but we'll have to work the get together around that.

So are you doing the Cincy convention?  Another?

I am quite interested in going since I live so close and the roster of speakers is pretty good, but will I feel/be an idiot by going since I am an Orthodox Jew?  Obviously I cannot attend any/most of the Saturday sessions, but I could do Thurs and Fri (and Sat if it is lateish), say after 8pm.

What say the sage members of the Hive?

I am quite interested in going since I live so close and the roster of speakers is pretty good, but will I feel/be an idiot by going since I am an Orthodox Jew?  Obviously I cannot attend any/most of the Saturday sessions, but I could do Thurs and Fri (and Sat if it is lateish), say after 8pm.

Hi Yael, scroll down to the comments by RadioBrain at this link.  She's an entirely secular hs'er, and she gives her take.  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/225060-great-homeschool-convention/  

Like I said, I think you'll find enough variety that you'll be fine.  They also have a speaker list up.  You're probably not going to want to put your kids in the kids program or do teen track (?), because that's going to be evangelical christian.  But you're still going to find lots of neat stuff, more than enough to keep you busy.  Besides, we have a ton of fun at the board get together.  You'll be glad you came just for that!  :)

Can anyone point me to secular or good all-inclusive conventions? I'm in Indiana now, probably moving to North Carolina in the spring or summer, but willing to travel for an all-inclusive convention focusing on academics and where I can see a good variety of secular curricula.

Edit: I'm especially interested in seeing science curricula in person, so the GHC conventions are out for me. They won't allow vendors that teach Big Bang/evolution, and I see no point in science that ignores major scientifically accepted theories.

You're probably not going to want to put your kids in the kids program or do teen track (?), because that's going to be evangelical christian.  But you're still going to find lots of neat stuff, more than enough to keep you busy.  Besides, we have a ton of fun at the board get together.  You'll be glad you came just for that!   :)

You thought I wanted to bring MY kids to this -- heck no, sister! :lol:   My husband travels a bunch during the year -- he can have them those dates and the date(s) of the HS conference I am coordinating this year too!!!  I would like to meet grown-ups though and learn a little something too...

I will be attending my provincial convention in april and can't wait.  Even the kids are already coming up with the list of curriculum they want me to check out (well truth be told the teens love the vendor hall as much as I do and look forward to checking it out).  The littles are already talking about the children's conference and singing the songs they learned last year.  All 4 are begging that I book the same hotel I did last year, which reminds me, I should do that soon.

If it wouldn't cost me so much to fly into cincy and book a hotel etc it is something I likely would have considered (well and I would have to get a passport) so maybe in 2015 but not this year :) though I feel so jealous of all of you that get to go.  Our convention is good but it focuses on being a good christian wife/mother more than academics and it would be nice to have something different for a change.

I'll be at the VA conference w SWB and bravewriter as well - last year I missed due to knee surgery, but I hadnt missed one since the year before I started.  Its the Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers, and they do not discuss politics or religion at all.  However, their vendor hall is very small, so its not a good place to see things in person, except for a small sampling.  Feel free to ask me any questions - Farrar's been to it once, also, I believe.

We might be able to go to the South Carolina convention, but she won't be at it. Dh's parents live near Cincy, however, we'll be going up there earlier in the month during dh's break. It would be difficult to go there again so soon.  Dh has family in the Greenville, SC, area, so we'd get to stay with them.

Anyone going to SC instead?

http://vahomeschoolers.org/conference-2014/

I would love to know more about it. Honestly just Julie and SWB is worth it...but I would like to know how big it is. The vendor hall looks to be tiny compared to FPEA...

It's a wonderful conference. It's purely academic. It's smaller than most, but they should have a ton of people this year because of SWB, so I hope they are prepared. 

We went last year and I blogged about it.

http://homeschoolfortwo.com/homeschool/three-reasons-the-vahomeschoolers-conference-rocked/

I first heard about the convention from an atheist homeschooler that is involved in a local gifted program. She goes back each year, and she told me that the convention organizers have been responsive about adding sessions that address her concerns (gifted education). While she doesn't identify with the theological stuff at the convention, she said she feels welcome and recommended the convention to me.

As far as being largely an evangelical conference (and attendees are probably a majority Christian), there are folks from all different backgrounds that are not necessarily part of what most people think of as mainstream evangelicalism (for example, Amish and Mennonite families). There are also lots of resources for classical homeschoolers. I have personally found people to be extremely polite, and I find plenty of sessions that I want to attend that don't have much to do with religious views. Being a Christian, I don't object to sessions with religious content, but that is not why I go--I go for practical/academic ideas and some "you really can do this" motivation.

Does make me a bad person that I don't care whether I go to a convention next year? I have all the curriculum I need, so it would only tempt me to buy more 'fillers' that will never be used. And, locally, the speakers are not SWB, et al. :-/

John Denver had a solution for that, hehe...  get on a jet plane.  Come join us in Cincy!   :D

I know that's not practical for everyone, but you'd be surprised how many people do travel a long way to go to a good convention. 

I priced it out.  Flight, hotel, Cincy conference - with no food/meals factored in and I was up to $900.  Guess I won't be going. :(

Have you thought about rooming with someone?  I shared a room with someone very generous from the boards here one year, and that was a TON of fun!  We have a FB group for people going.  Might be a good way to connect.

We might be able to go to the South Carolina convention, but she won't be at it. Dh's parents live near Cincy, however, we'll be going up there earlier in the month during dh's break. It would be difficult to go there again so soon.  Dh has family in the Greenville, SC, area, so we'd get to stay with them.

Anyone going to SC instead?

I've been mulling over the SC convention. I really would like to hear SWB speak, but it's only 2.5 hours to Greenville vs. 7 to Cincy, so SC makes much more sense.

I've never been to GHC (never been to any homeschooling convention). Is it worth it? The cost is reasonable, but then there's hotel, arranging a sitter for the weekend, etc., etc.

I've been mulling over the SC convention. I really would like to hear SWB speak, but it's only 2.5 hours to Greenville vs. 7 to Cincy, so SC makes much more sense.

I've never been to GHC (never been to any homeschooling convention). Is it worth it? The cost is reasonable, but then there's hotel, arranging a sitter for the weekend, etc., etc.

Ooo, I'd LOVE to go to the TTD conventions!  Debra Bell will be there.  You can get recordings of SWB.  

Ooo, I'd LOVE to go to the TTD conventions!  Debra Bell will be there.  You can get recordings of SWB.  

I'm torn, because both TTD and GHC seem to have a very Christian-leadership-conference feel to them. I've done a lot of those pop-Christianity type conferences, and I really dislike them. Not trying to be disparaging -- they just aren't my cup of tea. Even though I'm a Christian, I'd prefer something that focuses more on academics and less on living the Christian lifestyle. But maybe I'm wrong about the vibe I'm getting?

I kind of hope so, because I'd really like to meet some of y'all from the boards, which seems to be likelier at one of the bigger events! I feel like I have a bunch of new friends who've really taken me under their wing since we started our homeschooling experiment five months ago! :hurray:

I priced it out.  Flight, hotel, Cincy conference - with no food/meals factored in and I was up to $900.  Guess I won't be going. :(

Check out flying into indy (maybe it is cheaper) and you can stay at my house (in Indianapolis) and we can drive in (and make food at  home) or we can share a hotel room. 

I'm torn, because both TTD and GHC seem to have a very Christian-leadership-conference feel to them. I've done a lot of those pop-Christianity type conferences, and I really dislike them. Not trying to be disparaging -- they just aren't my cup of tea. Even though I'm a Christian, I'd prefer something that focuses more on academics and less on living the Christian lifestyle. But maybe I'm wrong about the vibe I'm getting?

I kind of hope so, because I'd really like to meet some of y'all from the boards, which seems to be likelier at one of the bigger events! I feel like I have a bunch of new friends who've really taken me under their wing since we started our homeschooling experiment five months ago! :hurray:

Hmm, I really don't know.  I know the GHC conventions will do what you're wanting.  I haven't been to a TTD convention to know the balance.  I guess look at the speakers and the workshops and see what's worth your money to attend.  

I went to the Greenville convention when the big Ken Ham thing happened, so I got to hear SWB then. Other than that, it was the best conference I've been to as a homeschooler. I would really like to go back if we can swing it. It's right in the middle of weekends we might want to visit some colleges with dd, so I'm not sure yet.

If we go, we have family to stay with and we'll take the kids but won't do the kids/teen programs. They aren't interested in being in classes with kids they don't know. 

I agree. The TTD conference isn't a good date anyway, but I am afraid it would be all living the Christian life instead of academics. I heard Debra Bell at the Apologia Real Refreshment retreat. I only did the Nuts and Bolts part of it.