Menu

Yogurt maker recommendations?

Catwoman

I'm thinking of trying to make my own yogurt, and I want to do it the easiest possible way, so I'm thinking of buying a yogurt maker. Does anyone have any suggestions on which one I should get?

I don't like runny yogurt -- if it's not on the thick side, I won't eat it. Other than that, I don't really have any requirements.

I saw something called the Dash Greek Yogurt Maker at BJs, and it looks cute, but I have no idea whether or not it's any good.

Thanks! :)

The best way to achieve non-runny yogurt is to make it with 1/2 & 1/2. You'll be able to stand a spoon in it and won't want to go back to anything less than that. :drool:

Hopefully someone else with chime in with recs. I've always just made it on the stove and then popped it in the oven overnight or dehydrator to set.

The best way to achieve non-runny yogurt is to make it with 1/2 & 1/2. You'll be able to stand a spoon in it and won't want to go back to anything less than that. :drool:

Hopefully someone else with chime in with recs. I've always just made it on the stove and then popped it in the oven overnight or dehydrator to set.

Thank you!!! :)

We use this http://www.amazon.com/Yogourmet-104-Electric-Yogurt-Maker/dp/B000N25AGO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386804622&sr=8-1&keywords=yogourmet  with this starter   http://www.amazon.com/Yogourmet-Freeze-Yogurt-Starter-3-Count/dp/B001GVIS4M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386804325&sr=8-2&keywords=yogourmet  Some people use geletin so as not to have their yogurt be too runny.  The longer you it in the maker the runnier and more sour it gets. We have had ours for five years now and never had a problem with it.  You will also need a good thermometer. So when the mixture is heating you can get a precise temperature. Too hot or cold it will ruin your yogurt.

Agreeing that thickness has to do with method rather than machine. Easiest for me is crockpot yogurt. I get consistently non-drippy thickness (without adding stuff like milk powder or gelatin and without straining) with some techniques I learned here, specifically scalding jars and equipment before use, using a thick Greek yogurt for starter, putting the starter in the jar with the hot milk on top of that and without stirring let it sit for 12+ hours.  I personally think a yogurt maker is just another gadget that you don't necessarily need (unless you really want one).  You can make thick yogurt with a crock pot and a cooler just as easily, if not more so.  I make a gallon at a time.  If you search "skimomma thick yogurt" on this forum, you'll get my post about how I got thick yogurt. 

Easiest way possible is a cooler with some warm water around your jars.

My kids just finished off my second batch this morning. :D

Use full fat milk. That is why I made my own, so I could have full fat vanilla. 1/2 gallon of organic, whole milk, heat to 180 degrees, 3 tbsp. vanilla, 3/4 cup of organic sugar, one small Stonyfield farm vanilla yogurt for starter after cooled to 105-110ish degrees. Put in jars, put lid on, put in cooler with some hot tap water, leave overnight.

Yum!!

I use a cooler and a thermometer. It's 15 minutes of hands-on effort, then 6-8 hours in a cooler surrounded by jars of of water. The reason it goes so fast is that I cheat on the cool-down part and plunge my pot into a sink of cold water. I already have the thermometer in the pot, so I just watch for it to get cool enough. I may try using the oven instead of the cooler next time. Do you just put it on 'keep warm? If I wanted it thicker, I'd add powdered milk.

I am trying to like all of your posts, but apparently I am out of likes again. :glare:

Thank you for all of the excellent ideas and advice! I think the crockpot, cooler, and cast iron pot methods sound very interesting, but as a complete beginner who tends to be somewhat clueless, I think I may be better off starting with one of the little machines that comes with very specific instructions. :D

Puddles and Amira -- I'll definitely check out the Yogourmet machine and starter.

Itsheresomewhere, I'll look at the Cuisinart one, too -- it's probably one of the prettier machines.

MooCow -- I found the Groupon deal. It's similar to the one I saw at BJs (same brand,) except that the one at BJs includes a strainer so you can turn the regular yogurt into Greek yogurt. (Other than the strainer and a couple of extra jars, it looks like the same basic machine, so the Groupon price is great!)

Milovany, the yogurt you make looks like I think yogurt should look! :)

Lavendersgreen, I'll be in Williams-Sonoma this week, so I'll be able to see their yogurt maker while I'm there.

Thanks again for all of your help! I'm hoping to buy something relatively cheap in case I make the stuff and no one will eat it. Again,I really like the more creative methods, but I'll probably mess up the machine version, so it might not be a great idea to get me into Mad Scientist Mode with jars and coolers and crockpots! ;)

Easiest way possible is a cooler with some warm water around your jars.

My kids just finished off my second batch this morning. :D

Use full fat milk. That is why I made my own, so I could have full fat vanilla. 1/2 gallon of organic, whole milk, heat to 180 degrees, 3 tbsp. vanilla, 3/4 cup of organic sugar, one small Stonyfield farm vanilla yogurt for starter after cooled to 105-110ish degrees. Put in jars, put lid on, put in cooler with some hot tap water, leave overnight.

Yum!!

Vanilla yogurt is my favorite!!! :)

My favorite yogurt maker is my Excalibure dehydrator. True it doesn't actually do any of the work, but it is a great incubater in my low heat house with an even colder kitchen. Heat milk. Cool milk. Stir in culture. Place in dehydrator (in a jar with lid, not trying to dehydrate anything, just keeping it warm) for proper time and then done.

I am trying to like all of your posts, but apparently I am out of likes again. :glare:

Thank you for all of the excellent ideas and advice! I think the crockpot, cooler, and cast iron pot methods sound very interesting, but as a complete beginner who tends to be somewhat clueless, I think I may be better off starting with one of the little machines that comes with very specific instructions. :D

Puddles and Amira -- I'll definitely check out the Yogourmet machine and starter.

Itsheresomewhere, I'll look at the Cuisinart one, too -- it's probably one of the prettier machines.

MooCow -- I found the Groupon deal. It's similar to the one I saw at BJs (same brand,) except that the one at BJs includes a strainer so you can turn the regular yogurt into Greek yogurt. (Other than the strainer and a couple of extra jars, it looks like the same basic machine, so the Groupon price is great!)

Milovany, the yogurt you make looks like I think yogurt should look! :)

Lavendersgreen, I'll be in Williams-Sonoma this week, so I'll be able to see their yogurt maker while I'm there.

Thanks again for all of your help! I'm hoping to buy something relatively cheap in case I make the stuff and no one will eat it. Again,I really like the more creative methods, but I'll probably mess up the machine version, so it might not be a great idea to get me into Mad Scientist Mode with jars and coolers and crockpots! ;)

But, but, but, the 'very specific instructions' are:

1. Heat milk to 180 degrees to kill bad milk cooties

2. Cool to 115 degrees so as not to kill the good cooties in yogurt

3. Add a blob of yogurt and stir

4. let it 'yog' in a warm place for 6-8 hours

I do steps 1-3 just before bedtime and I have yogurt when I wake up. I do use powdered milk to thicken it a bit.

But, but, but, the 'very specific instructions' are ...

I thought the same thing, LOL.  "Click my link and there's your step by step instructions."  They're pretty detailed (so much so that it might seem they're complicated, but it's not that -- I just wanted to be thorough for the beginning yogurt maker). I could turn my words into booklet format if that would make the OP feel like it's an instruction manual.  ;)

Teasing you, Catwoman!! 

http://nourishedkitchen.com/homemade-yogurt/

I haven't tried this yet, my family goes through ridiculous amounts of Greek yogurt, I would be making it all the time! But the room temp. yogurt caught my eye!

I take exception (not offense, LOL) at this part of her instructions:

Mix in your yogurt starter with the milk. Take care to mix thoroughly, but smoothly. You want neither large glops of yogurt starter nor a fully whisked mixture as either can cause poor results in the finished version of your homemade yogurt.

I think it's the NOT stirring once I add the warm milk to the starter in the bottom of the jar that has given me the consistently thick (throughout the jar, not just at the bottom) yogurt you see pictured above.  I think stirring creates a thinner yogurt.  I should test that, but don't want to have thin yogurt again, LOL.  I think this (not stirring) and scalding the equipment/containers both work to create a thicker product. 

Best to you in your future yogurt making! 

But, but, but, the 'very specific instructions' are:

1. Heat milk to 180 degrees to kill bad milk cooties

2. Cool to 115 degrees so as not to kill the good cooties in yogurt

3. Add a blob of yogurt and stir

4. let it 'yog' in a warm place for 6-8 hours

I do steps 1-3 just before bedtime and I have yogurt when I wake up. I do use powdered milk to thicken it a bit.

Where is this warm place? What temp? Can it be an oven on low overnight?

I'm wondering if I can get organic milk and use FAGE for the blob of yogurt.

Warm place = crockpot, oven with light on, cooler with warm water, warm room with hot towel out of dryer, countertop with heating pad, etc. You don't need to keep the oven on, just the light. You can preheat it to 200 then turn it off before you set the yogurt in, if you want. It only needs to be warm, not hot.

If you MUST have a space-taking gadget, then a yogurt maker. But really, you probably already have at least ONE of the above listed, so a yogurt maker (a.k.a. Warm place) is redundant and a waste of cupboard space. :)

You can use any plain (or vanilla if making vanilla, but could use plain for that too) yogurt as starter, as long as it has LIVE, active cultures. Read the ingredients. Live, active = homemade yogurt starter.

I use a cooler and put some jars of hot water in with my yogurt. If your oven goes as low as 100, you can leave it on, otherwise you have to just get it warm, then turn it off and just leave the light on. I haven't tried the oven yet, but I might next time if my oven goes low enough. Clearly, I don't have a yogurt maker, but I'm guessing the 'keep warm' part is the only thing it actually does.

It works with any real milk (even powdered) and any (plain) live yogurt.

Please, please, please try the cooler method!  It is so easy and you can make lots.  I do two gallons at a time.  Sometimes I strain it afterwards to make it super thick.  I usually make mine plain so that I can use it for baking muffins, or making salad dressings or whatever.  If you want to eat it plain, you can always add a bit of flavoring and sweetener when you eat it.  My kids like to add different flavors of jam --  suddenly we have multiple yogurt flavors.  So easy.  

Oops, forgot.  I wanted to add that you don't need to buy a starter yogurt each time.  You can just use some of the yogurt that you made previously.  It will be good for about three times as a starter, and then you need to purchase fresh starter.  

Maybe someone said that already.....

Oops, forgot. I wanted to add that you don't need to buy a starter yogurt each time. You can just use some of the yogurt that you made previously. It will be good for about three times as a starter, and then you need to purchase fresh starter.

Maybe someone said that already.....

It's technically against the rules, but I go for months between using a fresh starter and it's not a problem. Since we like tart yogurt, it works great for us. I think the starter people just want me to buy more of their stuff. :)

I didn't know I was supposed to buy new starter yogurt!  I've been using the last of the previous batch every two weeks for at least six months now.  The yogurt seems to be thicker with each batch.  Interesting.

I use whole milk, if that matters.  I think last year when I was using lower fat milk it was runnier yogurt.

I stir well - I take a little cooled milk out of the crockpot and whisk it with the leftover yogurt in a little bowl, then whisk it into the crockpot, wrap with towels and leave for 8 hours.  That is the "warm place". 

It's technically against the rules, but I go for months between using a fresh starter and it's not a problem. Since we like tart yogurt, it works great for us. I think the starter people just want me to buy more of their stuff. :)

I have been using the same starter for years.  It really is OK!

Interesting.  I've just noticed that after I use the yogurt as a starter for the next batch for awhile, it begins to turn out differently after about three times.  One time it turned out so different that I really couldn't use the yogurt, so as a precaution I just use new starter after about three batches.  I begin with raw whole milk as well.  

Interesting. I've just noticed that after I use the yogurt as a starter for the next batch for awhile, it begins to turn out differently after about three times. One time it turned out so different that I really couldn't use the yogurt, so as a precaution I just use new starter after about three batches. I begin with raw whole milk as well.

I agree that it can change as you keep reusing your yogurt. Both the texture and flavor can be very different. I don't really like the first batch with a new starter since it's too mild for me (although sometimes I cheat and let it incubate for 18 hours and that fixes it), so it takes a few times for me to even like the yogurt much. Mostly I use a new starter when we move.

The best yogurt I ever made was in Kyrgyzstan when we bought raw whole milk from our neighbor. It was amazing.

I've also discovered that I really don't like Greek yogurt as a starter. I feel like it gives my yogurt a gummy texture, even after lots of uses, even if the container says it didn't have anything but milk and culture.

I wanted to enjoy yogurt making.  I did not.  LOL  I went to strain mine and it just all ran through the cloth and I was left with nothing.  I tried a few times.  I even used part heavy cream.  A yogurt maker might have helped because I cannot control the temperature in my house that easily so I think that was part of the problem.

I have no access to raw dairy products.

You don't have to strain it.  Some people do to get uber-thick yogurt but I get the yogurt pictured above without straining.  To me, there's no point in making yogurt from scratch if you strain it a lot; it costs the same as storebought.  I don't use raw milk, just a gallon of whole milk from the store.  Just some thoughts, but it's not worth the headache either if it's not working out for you. 

Interesting.  I've just noticed that after I use the yogurt as a starter for the next batch for awhile, it begins to turn out differently after about three times.  One time it turned out so different that I really couldn't use the yogurt, so as a precaution I just use new starter after about three batches.  I begin with raw whole milk as well.  

I suspect that you are getting a build-up of competing (harmless) bacteria that increases with each batch until it changes the taste/texture.  I used to have this happen too until I started flash-sterilizing the jars first.  Once I started doing that, I have not had to use a new starter.  The yogurt always tastes and feels the same batch after batch for years now.

I don't like thin yogurt. 

I just like to try stuff for fun sometimes.  

I don't like thin yogurt either.  I'm with you!  That's why I was thrilled to find a way to get thick yogurt without straining it. 

I hear you on trying things.  I was into breadmaking for a few years, but now I realize I just don't have time.  Maybe at another stage of life later. 

OK I may try this. I need to know "blob" size please. So how large of blob for 1/2 gallon, gallon, etc.

I just don't want to put a 1/2 gallon blob size in a gallon of milk.

My "blob" is one of the baby size packs of Stonyfield organic stuff for 1/2 gallon of milk. 4 oz. So, a couple heaping tablespoons-ish. :)

My family always finishes off my yogurt before I can make more, so I haven't re-used my own as a starter yet. :)

I was discussing the different methods of yogurt-making with my dh last night, while I was debating between buying the one at BJs and going the less expensive way by using the cooler, the oven, or the crockpot.

Well, apparently I was rambling quite a bit about it, because dh finally said, "If I tell you to just go buy the one at BJs, can we stop talking about this?" :D

I was discussing the different methods of yogurt-making with my dh last night, while I was debating between buying the one at BJs and going the less expensive way by using the cooler, the oven, or the crockpot.

Well, apparently I was rambling quite a bit about it, because dh finally said, "If I tell you to just go buy the one at BJs, can we stop talking about this?" :D

Tell him "yes, we can stop talking about which one to buy." Now we have to talk about the different flavors and which one tastes better. Also we will talk about runny versus thick and which method works the best! Then we will talk about how we should have gotten the opposite of what we did get." :D