Menu

What do you want in a kitchen (especially if you cook most of your own meals)

momee

Enough counter space so the blender and wheat grinder can be left out, a sink, drawers (especially one large enough to hold utensils), cupboards (one large enough to store bottles of vinegar), a pantry, a convenient place for the garbage can, a good way to store cookie sheets and baking stones, a window so there's lots of natural light, and a place to tuck the broom so it can be used quickly. I've cooked in nearly 20 kitchens and at least one of these things has always been missing. I also don't mind if it's small because I really enjoy cooking, but it's not a social activity for me. A small kitchen keeps everyone out of it.

Under cabinet lighting (to light the countertop)

Deep drawers instead of some of the cupboards

One of the cupboards should have vertical dividers to hold cookie trays, cutting boards, etc.

Space for a broom somewhere (like a little broom closet)

Functional layout (i.e. dishwasher near cupboard where dishes will go, sink close to stove, working countertop space, etc.)

Those things aren't expensive--just take planning. Now, budget allowing, I would look at

Silestone countertops

Undermount sink

Really nice faucet

Decent appliances (not top of the line, but better than what our builder defaulted to)

Would rather have a wide, shallow pantry than a narrow deep one. Walk-in would be nice if space is available. Walk-in with room for a freezer would be great!

Counter space.  Clearly defined areas: food prep; dishwashing; coffee/tea making (with electric kettle); cooking.  Storage, including a pull-out pantry cupboard.  Cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling so that there's no wasted space/dust up there.  Good flow so that you are not always walking around things.

L

Counter space.

At least one part of the counter in stone, so I can roll out pastry, bread dough etc right on the counter, without messing with boards

Counter space next to the stove for easy meal prep.

A pantry with convenient storage solutions for food storage (walk-in would be fantastic)

Storage cabinets for the most often used dishes in close proximity to the dishwasher

Mine is perfect for me. Lots of cupboard space and open to the dining room. I can work without others underfoot and still feel a part of what is going on. Plenty of counter space, a window to the outdoors over my sink.  Tall ceilings so the room is spacious.

71bb3aaf-3537-47c1-b036-11fe7689b8b0_zps

I was standing in the dining room when I took that picture.

What I would change. White floor. (I didn't pick that. Dh did. I never let him hear the end of it either)

On my wish list is a better counter top surface. I have laminate that has a few ugly spots on it. I wish my pantry was just a bit larger.

The ultimate kitchen:

Viking dishwasher

Sub-zero fridge

Bosch in the counter mixer

Aga or Thermador

Miele coffee station

Moen faucet

marble counter tops or at a minimum a very large marble inset to work dough on

hardwood cupboards

All that and I'd have linoleum/vinyl floors. - Tiles crack and grout is a PITA to clean. Wood floors don't work in the kitchen.  Carpeting - ugh. Brick - see tile.  Linoleum/vinyl is cheap and easy to remove and install.

More counter space.  More drawers.  Maybe some slide-out things under the counters to make heavy things in the back easier to get to.  A better layout for multiple cooks.  I'd like for the window over the sink to not face SW because it's blindingly bright when I'm washing dishes after lunch and dinner, and using a curtain makes it feel like a cave.  I'd also like real doors to the kitchen, because I don't always want the entire house to smell like whatever I'm making for several hours afterward.

What I love about my kitchen:

- large island with nothing on it (no sink, no range)

- space for a few stools under far end of island countertop, about 9" overhang

- under cabinet lighting

- slab granite

- not too big or too small of a distance around the triangle of frig-stove-sink (this is some sort of important design measurement), while the island is sort of in-between all three

- some deep drawers among the cabinets

- double electric wall ovens with separate range

- instead of the "desk" area, we asked for counter height with drawers underneath - it would have been nice for a place to put the stool, but I need the storage space, LOL (and I'm sitting on the stool right now anyway)

what I would NOT want:

- stool area at bar height rather than counter height - cuts off light/view, among other things (note which height you have when you go to buy stools!)

- range or sink on island - I like a clean workspace

A professional stove and if not that, at least a stove that is vented outside so I can actually cook without setting off smoke alarms; a convection oven; a sunken sink so water/crumbs/whatever can be wiped directly into it; good lighting; a marble countertop for pastry making.  What I would not want is a lot of cabinets - I prefer using furniture to store things rather than having tons of cabinets.   

Fairfarmhand---I love your kitchen.

I am a FUNCTION over fashion type person so I tend to think EASY to clean---good back splash, undermount sink, durable, medium tone, easy to clean floor, etc. They have some very nice wood look vinyl plank flooring now that we have in our laundry room and one bathroom. I wish it would have been out when we did our kitchen as I would have put it in there.

I would opt for a BIG sink. I like double bowl but not all do. Room for a BIG fridge. I like my pantry area with pull out shelves but wish I also had a small broom closet nearby.

I would also think classic styles, not super trendy, etc. when looking at cabinets, counter tops, colors, etc. Kitchens are EXPENSIVE so go with classic and it will last much longer and still look nice.

Good lighting.

I would love a double wall oven and large gas cooktop but those are lots more money and I dont' have the room here so I have the 20 year old white gas range the house came with.

Think of your work triangle and imagine yourself---putting away groceries, cooking a meal, baking, doing dishes, emptying the dishwasher, etc. Sometimes a professional kitchen designer can help you avoid problems with functionality.

Aside from a private chef I can't think of anything. 

I moved to a new house recently and just adore my kitchen. 

The pantry is a walk in and you could probably fit 3-4 people in there.

I have so many cabinets they are not even all filled (which is amazing because I am the queen of the kitchen gadget/pots/pans, etc)

I have extremely tall kitchen cabinets which I need a stepladder to reach the top.

I have more than enough counter space (haven't said that in about 20 years) and absolutely adore my island (its huge). 

I would plan on a big kitchen and then go a bit bigger. 

I cook 2-3 meals every day. I also make snacks and smoothies. I've been married nearly 20 years, and I've had 11 kitchens. So, I can tell you what I like, what I don't like and what I dream of. :)

What I like: 

plenty of cabinet/counter space

large pantry

a counter-height bar in the kitchen where kids can sit while I work

an open floor plan

space for a table for casual family meals

what I don't like:

appliances that open opposite each other so that you can only open one of them at a time (my current kitchen is large, but has this issue with the fridge and dishwasher)

kitchens that are way too small

kitchens with no pantry

kitchens that are too dark

what I dream of (and plan to have in my eventual final home):

a double oven

a gas stove

an appliance cabinet like this: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/143130094381351760/

a shallow broom closet in a dead space

a window that opens up to the backyard like this: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/143130094379766113/

a fridge with French doors that is wide enough for large platters, sheet cakes and such

one shorter work space for baking and such because I'm only 5'1", so it can be a real issue for me

Here is a Martha Stewart slide show with quite a few kitchen ideas:

http://www.marthastewart.com/275545/martha-stewart-living-kitchen-designs-fr/@center/277007/kitchen-design

There are also a lot of people with great kitchen idea boards on Pinterest.

- dishwasher!

- storage near the dishwasher so I don't have to traipse all over the kitchen when unloading the dishwasher

- garbage disposal (in BOTH sinks, if you get to have two!)

- plenty of upper cabinet storage (I only have one - this means pretty much everything in my kitchen is at toddler height and requires lots of bending from me)

- prep space near the stove top (I DESPERATELY want this)

- at least six burners

- dream kitchen? two ovens, side by side, not stacked, so I don't have to reach high/bend low when pulling heavy, hot pans from the oven

- kitchen stools that are NOT in the workspace at all

I have my dream kitchen already, minus my dream stove. The stove will happen eventually, but not yet. I wanted LOTS of counter space because I bake and cook a fair amount. I wanted a good size pantry. Ours is 6'x6' with an upright freezer in the one corner. I have an extra single sink in the corner and a large main sink in the island. Outlets on each end of the island which I've really appreciated my dh putting in (I hadn't thought to ask for them). My kitchen is basically broken up into two different work spaces. I have the cooking/cleaning with everything no more than a step away, then I have the baking space. I didn't want my island on two levels either because that takes away from the usable baking space. We do have stools across the one side opposite the sink though and the cereal is in a cupboard right beside the stools.

I need practical first, budget second and then of course, beauty.  All three are very important.  (Trendy/spendy is not going to work with me.)

In my experience alot of pictures on houzz and pinterest have those three things in reverse :)

Things I would like to change in my kitchen:

Stove vented to the outside and *not* black

Refrigerator placed so that the door doesn't block the main entrance to the kitchen every time you open it

*Quiet* dishwasher

one wall is angled, which makes it awkward for opening dishwasher/cabinets/drawers at the inner angles

under cabinet lights

Walk in pantry, with a light

Cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling, maybe a smaller cabinet on top of the regular one. Even if I didn't use the top, there wouldn't be that top flat space that isn't really functional and just collects dust and dirt.

I love having an in-drawer knife block to free up counter space. We added a backsplash between the counter and cabinets/stove, which is much nicer than painted wall.

One option I've seen to give flexibility in counter heights is a pull out work space/shelf.

Mine is perfect for me. Lots of cupboard space and open to the dining room. I can work without others underfoot and still feel a part of what is going on. Plenty of counter space, a window to the outdoors over my sink.  Tall ceilings so the room is spacious.

71bb3aaf-3537-47c1-b036-11fe7689b8b0_zps

I was standing in the dining room when I took that picture.

What I would change. White floor. (I didn't pick that. Dh did. I never let him hear the end of it either)

On my wish list is a better counter top surface. I have laminate that has a few ugly spots on it. I wish my pantry was just a bit larger.

LOL.  I'm working on about two square feet.

55p342.jpg

That's all of the usable prep area right there.  The cutting board on top of the micro just about fills the counter.  Toaster doubles as a staging shelf.  All my pots are in the single cabinet below.  Three small drawers to play with.

Space.  Just flat space.  Acreage is what I seek.

I do have a genuine 1920 butler's pantry, though, so there are pluses to old houses.

I need practical first, budget second and then of course, beauty.  All three are very important.  (Trendy/spendy is not going to work with me.)

In my experience alot of pictures on houzz and pinterest have those three things in reverse :)

Maybe try "kitchen organization" on Pinterest? I've found lots of really practical kitchen layout/organization ideas on Pinterest, but maybe it's an issue the specific search terms?

A walk in pantry.

A place for appliances.  Whether they had their own special cabinets with plugs inside and pull out drawers .. or it was just a spot on the counter.  My tall appliances (coffee maker, KitchenAid) do not fit under my cabinets!!  It is such a pain.   I saw a pull out that then lifted up and the person's Kitchen Aid was on it.  LOVE LOVE LOVE

gingersmom and wapiti, we think alike

any chance you have pictures?

when you say big island...how big is big?

this is almost our exact floor plan (there are slight differences)

island measures 71" (including approx. 9" overhang at far end) x 39", not too big to get around and to reach across, but big enough to have six kids decorating Christmas cookies

Eta, google "kitchen work triangle" and you'll find design info regarding recommended distances

1. Space for lots of pots & pans, etc, because if you cook you have more of these than most people. Space for lots of foods, spices, because if you do ethnic food, you'll have a big assortment.

2. Shelves for cookbooks

3. Table & chairs, so family can be in kitchen. I love to cook, so spend time in kitchen, but don't want to be alone all the time. Table can be used for food prep, smaller counters could be ok.

4. Industrial strength materials. I do not want to worry what I put on countertops (staining, burning, etc). Resilient floor, so feet don't get tired.

5. In an ideal world, Viking or similar stove with double ovens.

What I don't like:

Marble floors or countertops

Double sinks, I.e. two small sinks

No grout anywhere. Grout is my nemesis.

If I were building from scratch? Stained concrete floor with a drain for ease of cleaning. A walk-in pantry. Slab granite or silestone counters (dh, the restaurant guy, says stainless steel counters). Lots of counter space. Room for a full size trash can under the counter, and a recycling bin, and a compost bin. I saw a kitchen with holes in the counter for trash and recycling so you could just drop it straight in, which I thought was an interesting idea.

We put drawers in place of bottom cabinets. They are all various sizes and it's so fantastic. I would do that again in a heartbeat. Our standalone pantry (IKEA) also has pull out draw type shelves. It's also fabulous. I have 1/2 the cabinets I had in my old house and more room than I actually need here because of that pantry and the drawers have entirely accessible space. I have actually empty cabinets.

Weadded a foot pedal to our kitchen faucet.  We can foot touch to turn on/off the water to fill pots, wash hands, etc. without actually touching the faucet at all. This is really convenient and something I'd definitely do again. I really love it.

My last kitchen was perfect, except the colors and the floor.  Here is what it had- tons of counter space and storage space. A walk in pantry.  Double oven.  Good gas range.  Window.  Both a refrigerator and a freezer.  Many outlets.  A dining area with built in seats (that you could, in fact, move for cleaning).  Now what I would have changed also, was the floor.  It looked worn out.  Ot had a very large island which was fine.  There was plenty of room for everything and everyone.

It makes me think how we will have to really think about how we want to redo our kitchen when we do that in a few years.

counter space! room for kiddos to help cook! 

stone counters 

good backsplash

shallow pantry with a light

double ovens and a warming drawer

natural light

good lighting fixtures

stained cement floor

stove vented to the outside

space for seating - table or bar or both

big fridge with French doors

undermount sink

well designed cabinets/drawers - think about what you keep where and put things where you can ge tthem easily

space for dog bowls out of the traffic lanes - if there isn't another designated space for this in the house.

space for trash, recycle and compost - not under the counter. I really don't like trash in a cabinet!

well placed outlets for appliances

room on the counter for stand mixer, vita-mix (not that I have one!) and toaster oven.

the rest of the house to go with the nice kitchen!! and househelp to clean it! 

;)

a tile floor with a drain (I really want this in the laundry room and the bathrooms-- but the kitchen would be nice too)

gas stove

the pantry nearby with enough room for kitchen overflow, and the spare refrigerator/freezer.  (why go to the basement if you don't have to?)

a prep/baking area with a sink separate  (and possibly hidden -- the whole area, not just the sink) from the cooking area that has the main sink. -- --

Ample cabinet space. Decide if you want to dust the tops of cabinets or rather have them go all the way to the ceiling. I would want the typical work triangle to be functional: the distance from sink to stove to refrigerator. A large flat surface for baking is nice. A built-in cabinet where the trash buckets (one for recycling, one for trash) roll out and look like cabinetry. How much pantry space do you prefer and will the pantry be incorporated into the kitchen space or be a separate room / space?

I may think of more later.  :laugh:

I would not want the kitchen to be in the common path through the house.   The part that passes through my kitchen is by the refrigerator, main storage drawers (bowls, silverware, wraps, measuring devices, etc), kitchen utensil drawers/oven and pantry. 

My house floorplan has a loop: entry, hall/pantry, kitchen, dining, living..entry. It cuts through about 1/4 of the way through the kitchen floor. Anytime people come over they spend their time circling the loop and pause in the kitchen....right in my way when I am trying to cook.  On Thanksgiving I had to kick people out of the kitchen AT least 10 times, because while to them it seems like they are standing out of the way, they are actually standing in the middle of the main work triangle of the  kitchen. 

I can not say how much I hate this layout and vow to never have it again.  

My next house will have a kitchen in a dead end spot or at least its own room, off of the main loop!

I would not want the kitchen to be in the common path through the house.   The part that passes through the kitchen is by the refrigerator, main storage drawers (bowls, silverware, wraps, measuring devices, etc), kitchen utensil drawers/oven and pantry. 

My house floorplan has a loop: entry, hall/pantry, kitchen, dining, living..entry. It cuts through about 1/4 of the way through the kitchen floor. Anytime people come over they spend their time circling the loop and pause in the kitchen....right in my way when I am trying to cook.  On Thanksgiving I had to kick people out of the kitchen AT least 10 times, because while to them it seems like they are standing out of the way, they are actually standing in the middle of the main work triangle of the  kitchen. 

I can not say how much I hate this layout and vow to never have it again.  

My next house will have a kitchen in a dead end spot or at least its own room, off of the main loop!

I agree with this!!  the only path to the laundry room or the back yard is through my tiny kitchen  I cannot tell you how many times the horse I call dog has jumped over the dishwasher door to get to the backyard. 

I have the awesome privilege/overwhelming responsibility of planning my own house with DH.  

He asks:  What do you want in a kitchen?

How would you answer?

As much unbroken counter space as possible.

Counter space on each side of the cook-top/stove.

Garbage disposal on the same side of the double sink as the dishwasher.

NO BLIND CORNERS!!!

Drawers in all lower cabinets (I never, ever want to have to get on my hands and knees to look for something. Not ever.)

A ginormous pantry.

A warming drawer.

Two ovens. I don't care if they are eye-level or part of a stove and so under the counter. I just want two of them.

If the kitchen is U-shaped, I want the dishwasher on the opposite side of the sink from the stove (and I still want the garbage disposal on the side closer to the dishwasher. I don't care if that's on the left or the right, as long as the dishwasher is *not* between the sink and the stove/cooktop).

And I want the fridge on the same side of the kitchen as the sink/dishwasher, not over there next to the ovens, or the stove. And I want counter next to the fridge.

I want a built-in microwave oven, with counter next to it; or built in an overhead cabinet so that it's eye level. It doesn't need to be near the stove/cooktop. It can be over the cooktop/stove, as long as it looks as if it's supposed to be there, KWIM? IOW, I don't want to take up counter space with the microwave oven, and I don't want to have to bring in a free-standing cabinet of some kind.

Lots of electrical outlets. Lights underneath the wall cabinets so there's plenty of light on the counters.