Menu

Audible.com

Night Elf

I hate that you can only listen to audible books through the audible app on mobile devices. On the iPad it works great, but the audible app for android is lousy on DD's tablet (immediately crashes upon opening), so she can't listen to her books at all because of audible's DRM.

. Can I buy from them without being a member? Can I download a book on as many of my devices as possible?

I had a trial subscription, but ended up cancelling it. I don't buy enough audio books to justify a subscription. The trial gives you a freebie or two though, so it's worth it. Just remember to cancel.

Yes, you can buy books without a subscription, though I think you still need to be a member (that part is free). You can sign up for emails of their daily deals, plus there are quite a few free classics available. 

As for the number of devices, I don't know. I'm the only one who listens to audio books, and I download them to my phone. I've used it with my iPhone and now with my Android phone. I had no problems with either one.

I read up about Audible this month. You cannot buy from them without becoming a member, but you can use your Amazon membership on Audible. Audible has a monthly membership fee. Membership gives you 1 credit every month which you can redeem for books. Then you can buy additional credits as needed.

I've had an audible subscription for about 9 years: long before there were ubiquitous devices that made audio listening so easy. (Currently I have an i-device.) I'm surprised that you say you can't still use a PC, or burn CD's -- or even listen online with your browser open. Maybe those things are old-school.

I'm also surprised that someone said you can't buy without a subscription membership? I think the monthly fee is for a subscription, not just for signing up to buy individual books. I'd double check on that. The prices for individual books (long ones) are often higher than the cost of subscribing for a month, so that might be a strategy. (Again, my data may be old, since I haven't really examined these things for a while.)

Anyhow, I listen more than enough for 2 books per month, but I use the 'my next listen' list so that if I don't consciously use my credits in any given month, it automatically uses the credits to buy whstever is at the top of that list.

You can have multiple registered devices, but not unlimited. Maybe 5 devices? You can download as often as you like.