Menu

Please help me beta test new reading grade level test

The old quick screening test I used to use is no longer available.  I developed my own and have done preliminary testing on my children and several other children. (Conveniently, I have several friends with multiple children!)  I wanted it to score approximately 1 grade level above the NRRF scores, it seems to be working for my limited sample size, but I would like more scores before I make it available to the general public.

To help out, please take both this test and the NRRF and post or PM or e-mail both scores and the actual grade level of the child taking the test, plus if said child is male or female.  (Use age grade level for your state, the grade they would be in regardless of their actual working level grade.)  Preliminary testing shows that boys score a bit higher on this test and girls score a bit lower on this test, with girls approximately 1/2 grade level above their NRRF scores and boys a bit more than 1 grade level above their NRRF scores.  (If they max out the NRRF, take my 8/10/12 grade level test as well.)

I have had this for a while but it took me a while to figure out how to delete PMs with the new system, then a bit to clear them out to make room.  (Plus all the last moving bits, still a bit of leftover moving work from the summer move.)

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/beta40lreadingte.html

Thanks!

Also, I still need to work on this, it has been previously field tested but not moved and explained, if your child is below grade level here is the fastest way to gain a few grade levels!!  (You all should be able to use it as is.)

It also works for any child reading below 12th grade level to bump up a grade level or two, you can use with a child at or above grade level.  As long as they are below 12th grade level, there should be some improvement.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/crashcoursesylla.html

ETA:  The reading grade level part of the NRRF is part 2, the part with the numbers 1 - 6.  For my test, if the child makes a quick self correction "mole-ec-ule, wait "mol-ec-ule," count it as correct.  (This is counted as correct for the NRRF as well.)

How do you score the NRRF test?

My son is 4.5 years old (eligible to start K next fall).

On the NRRF test he read section A with 1 error and section B with 2 errors.  He made it to the end of the fourth line of section C and made his fourth error on the word race.  I stopped at that point, but on the following line he would not have known chose, cage or mice.

On your test he read 13 words and I stopped when he missed the last three words in section 2 and was getting frustrated.

Wendy

How do you score the NRRF test?

My son is 4.5 years old (eligible to start K next fall).

On the NRRF test he read section A with 1 error and section B with 2 errors.  He made it to the end of the fourth line of section C and made his fourth error on the word race.  I stopped at that point, but on the following line he would not have known chose, cage or mice.

On your test he read 13 words and I stopped when he missed the last three words in section 2 and was getting frustrated.

Wendy

The first part of the NRRF with the letters is just to help you pinpoint areas where you need to work on the phonics for that type of pattern.

Part two of the NRRF with the numbers is the grade level section.  The highest section that you miss 1 or less words is your grade level.  If you miss more than one word on the 1st paragraph, it is technically grade level 0, but no need to tell small children this. That is part of the reason I like having two tests--it takes a while before children can pass grade level 1 of the NRRF, it is somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 in current grade levels, and I like having a test where they can get a score for K level and where the scores show incremental progress, not just in grade level increments.

My 13 year old daughter did 100% on both tests all through the lessons.  In about 10 minutes or less.

She taught herself to read at age 3.

I will do my best to get more of our children to take these tomorrow. I knew she could get done very quickly :)   She had fun with it too!

16 yr. old son - Level 12 ( he only had a little trouble with 2 but was close)  On the first test

11 yr. old son - Level 11 completed ( trouble with 4 words nor in a row)  On the first test.

2nd test went well and he completed it with ( 3 words on the last level he had trouble with)

DD8 missed her 10th word at the end of level 6, and I stopped there, so I think that puts her at 5.0 reading level, right?

On the old test she made it through all the NRRF with no mistakes, read the 8th grade one with no mistakes, and then missed three on the 10th grade level, so 8 or 9?

ETA: I think the new one is more accurate, because level 5-6 is where she is comfortable reading for pleasure.

My 13 year old daughter did 100% on both tests all through the lessons.  In about 10 minutes or less.

She taught herself to read at age 3.

I will do my best to get more of our children to take these tomorrow. I knew she could get done very quickly :)   She had fun with it too!

Thanks!  I expect many of the well trained children here will have that problem, it is a great problem to have!!  My daughter corrects my husband's pronunciation at times, then we joke that he really needs to watch my phonics lessons when he retires.  (He is actually a fairly good reader overall, but was taught with a mix of phonics and whole word methods and will occasionally mispronounce an obscure name or place when reading the Bible aloud for family devotions.)

DD8 missed her 10th word at the end of level 6, and I stopped there, so I think that puts her at 5.0 reading level, right?

On the old test she made it through all the NRRF with no mistakes, read the 8th grade one with no mistakes, and then missed three on the 10th grade level, so 8 or 9?

ETA: I think the new one is more accurate, because level 5-6 is where she is comfortable reading for pleasure.

Right, 10 words per row, so 60 words read, 60 - 10 = 50 words correct.  50/10 = 5.0, 5th grade level on the 40L test.

That would be an 8th grade level on the NRRF/my supplemental reading passage test.   

From my preliminary testing observations, girls can score a bit above their reading comfort level in a reading passage where they can use their language abilities to figure out words that they might not normally be able to sound out easily.  Boys, on the other had, especially younger boys prone to distraction and not yet totally fluent readers, seem to do better when focusing on one word at a time and do better with the word lists than would be expected based on their normal reading skills.  Of course, I'm sure there are exceptions, but that has been the general pattern so far.

Ok not exactly sure I am doing this right ;)

Dd8 on the NRRF-- she missed one in section 4, one in section 5, none in section 6, 1 in the eighth grade paragraph, and 4 in the 10th grade one. I really don't know how to score that?

On yours she missed her 10th word on section eight scoring 6.4

Ds6 who is VERY distractable ;) scored a 2.3 on yours, missing his 10th word in section 4.

On the NRRF he missed 1 in section 1, 1 in section 2, 2 in section 3, 3 in section 4, and we stopped there. So 2nd grade level?

ETA: this was eye opening for me. I constantly wonder about dd's phonics ... And question if we stopped phonics too soon. I am guessing she is ok and we just keep reading???

Ds is a distractable mess and we are sludging through phonics carefully ;)

My daughter is in K, although she has been reading for a while.

On your test she scored at a 2.9 grade level... She missed one word in level 2 and one word in level 3.  On level 4, she correctly pronounced "belief" correctly, but got the next 5 wrong.  

She then took the NRRF test.  We got through Level 3 with no mistakes, but then had two mistakes in Level 4.  So grade level 3?

She seemed to do better on the NRRF.

Dd8 on the NRRF-- she missed one in section 4, one in section 5, none in section 6, 1 in the eighth grade paragraph, and 4 in the 10th grade one. I really don't know how to score that?

On yours she missed her 10th word on action eight scoring 6.4

I had similar differences in the upper levels. I already sent a PM earlier, but hadn't given the 8, 10, 12 test (missed that!) when he hit the ceiling on the NRRF, so I just went back and did that. Missed 1 on grade 8, 2 on grade 10, 7 on grade 12. So I guess that would be around grade 11 level on that test? But on the word list test, he's 7.4 because of the stop at 10 missed words thing (yet he could read most of the words in 8, 9, and 10 sections, half the words in 11, and only 1 word in 12). So definitely some discrepancy there between the tests, probably due to one being word lists out of context and the other being a full passage.

My kids at lower reading levels seemed to be about right (neither passing the NRRF grade 1, but one being 0.9 on the 40L and the other being 1.1 on the 40L)

Morgan (2nd grade dd) scored 3.7 on your test.  On the NRRF, she missed 2 words on level 3, two words on level 4, two words on level 5, and 6 words on level 6.  Not sure how to score that exactly?  She wanted to keep reading to the end and wasn't frustrated or anything.

Shannon (6th grade dd) scored 10.8 on your test, missed no words on the NRRF, and read the 8th and 10th grade reading tests perfectly.  The only word she missed on the 12th grade test was "infatuation".  She read all the other words correctly, though she doesn't know the meaning of "execrable" or "aggrandizement".

Is there a link for the NRRF test? My kids took yours, but I can't find the other. THANKS!

Here is a direct link to the NRRF test, part 2 is the grade level part.

http://www.nrrf.org/readtest.html

If your student gets all the way through the 6th paragraph on the NRRF with 1 mistake or less per test, then take the 8/10/12 grade level test passages on the bottom of my testing page.  

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

My passages are a bit longer and have some archaic words, so 2 or less errors per test are permitted.

My 9 year old, 4th grader, could successfully read the first 5 sections in your test with no errors. She missed one word in both section 6 and 7. She missed 3 words in section 8. That means a 7th grade level, correct??

My 5 year old (kindergartener) missed 3 words starting in section 3 of your test. On the NRRF she read the first 3 sections with only one or two errors on each section. She started having trouble on section 4.

My 6 year old (first grader) cannot pass any section on any of the tests.

Ok not exactly sure I am doing this right ;)

On yours she missed her 10th word on section eight scoring 6.4

Ds6 who is VERY distractable ;) scored a 2.3 on yours, missing his 10th word in section 4.

On the NRRF he missed 1 in section 1, 1 in section 2, 2 in section 3, 3 in section 4, and we stopped there. So 2nd grade level?

ETA: this was eye opening for me. I constantly wonder about dd's phonics ... And question if we stopped phonics too soon. I am guessing she is ok and we just keep reading???

Ds is a distractable mess and we are sludging through phonics carefully ;)

Yes, you are doing it right, thanks!

For your DD8, that is a NRRF grade level 8, and yes, a NRRF grade level 2 for your Ds6.  

I am still slogging through phonics and spelling with my 8 year old son...it does get better but is generally more work to teach boys to read than girls.  On the up side, he just gets math, my daughter needs a lot more help with math.  He is also strong in engineering and sciences and mechanics.

Your DD8 is doing great!  I would make sure she knows all the phonetic spelling rules and monitor her from time to time.  My daughter was reading well from a young age and every few years I do a quick review of phonics and phonetic spelling rules, especially some of the more obscure ones and sometimes in the context of Greek and Latin roots.  It doesn't take long and is very helpful for her spelling.

Morgan (2nd grade dd) scored 3.7 on your test.  On the NRRF, she missed 2 words on level 3, two words on level 4, two words on level 5, and 6 words on level 6.  Not sure how to score that exactly?  She wanted to keep reading to the end and wasn't frustrated or anything.

That is 2nd grade level on the NRRF.  I usually stop students once they miss more than one word, but if they want to continue and it is not frustrating them, that is no big deal.  When I'm testing large groups, I stop them even if they want to continue because of time constraints.

My 9 year old, 4th grader, could successfully read the first 5 sections in your test with no errors. She missed one word in both section 6 and 7. She missed 3 words in section 8. That means a 7th grade level, correct??

My 5 year old (kindergartener) missed 3 words starting in section 3 of your test. On the NRRF she read the first 3 sections with only one or two errors on each section. She started having trouble on section 4.

For your 9 year old, that would be 7.5 grade level if she read 75 words correctly.  What was her NRRF score?

For your 5 year old, the highest level of the NRRF numbered portion that was read with one or less error would be her NRRF grade level.  For my test, you count up words correct and then divide by 10 to get a grade level.

Thanks!

K daughter - Scored 1.4 on your test. She had 10 mistakes on Section 1 of the NRRF, so I think that's a NRRF grade level of 0. Is that the same as a K level?

3rd grade son - Scored 3.3 on your test. He had 1 mistake on Section 4 and 3 mistakes on Section 5 of the NRRF, so I think that's an NRRF grade level of 4th grade.

4th grade daughter - Scored 5.8 on your test. She finished the NRRF with one mispronunciation in Section 6.  She read the 8th grade test without mistakes. She mispronounced 3 words on the 10th grade test, so I stopped at that point. I think that scores at an 8th grade level.

Yes, you are doing it right, thanks!

For your DD8, that is a NRRF grade level 8, and yes, a NRRF grade level 2 for your Ds6.

I am still slogging through phonics and spelling with my 8 year old son...it does get better but is generally more work to teach boys to read than girls. On the up side, he just gets math, my daughter needs a lot more help with math. He is also strong in engineering and sciences and mechanics.

Your DD8 is doing great! I would make sure she knows all the phonetic spelling rules and monitor her from time to time. My daughter was reading well from a young age and every few years I do a quick review of phonics and phonetic spelling rules, especially some of the more obscure ones and sometimes in the context of Greek and Latin roots. It doesn't take long and is very helpful for her spelling.

That's a good point to review phonics every once in awhile. She completed AAS 1-4 and is now in R&S spelling. Her spelling is actually pretty good. :) but reviewing the rules she learned in AAS occasionally is a good idea.

Thanks!

I just realized that the 8th grade passage on my NRRF supplemental reading grade level test is outdated...I didn't notice because I use a 1 page sheet for this test and I updated it there but not my website.  The passage was a good test for public school children, but homeschool children were finding it too easy with the difficult words being words they often are exposed to and learn earlier like Egyptian, lowing, herdsman.  I will update it soon, here is the new 8th grade passage, 2 errors or less permitted:

(First line is title, not part of passage.)

Every Man the Architect of His Own Fortune by MacDiarmid

Nothing is more common in the world, than for people to flatter their self-esteem, and to excuse their

indolence, by referring the prosperity of others to the caprice or partiality of fortune. Yet few, who have

examined the matter with attention, have failed to discover, that success is as generally a consequence of

industry and good conduct, as disappointment is the consequence of indolence and indecision.

Happiness, as Pope remarks, is truly "our being's end and aim;" and almost every man desires wealth, as a

means of happiness. Thus, in wishing, mankind are nearly alike; but it is chiefly the striking incongruity

that exists betwixt their actions and thoughts that checker society, that produces those endless varieties of

character and situation which prevail in human life.

9th dd- 8.4 on your test and she missed 3 on grade 10 test  (and 2 on grade 8)

6th ds- 8.4 on your test and he missed 3 on grade 10 test( and 1 on grade 8)

preschool dd - 2.0 on your test and on the NRRF, she missed 3 in level 3 and 1 in level 2

One thing I find interesting in all this is that my 15 dd is special needs and though she could read the words, comprehension is somewhat limited.

Thanks for letting us beta test for you. I'm not sure I understand the results, but it was fun! lol

My 7 year old 1st grade daughter got 42 words correct so 4.2. She got all the words up to 4th grade except 2 and 4 ofthe 5th grade words. Once it clicked she really quickly went from the 1st grade reading level to this level and has been there since the end of kindergarten. She can read any book that would interest her but I wonder if eventually I should work on the harder words or if it will come naturally.

My 5 year old son who learned how to blend cvc words about year and a half ago but hasn't made any progress from there got half of the first grade words which is .5.

OK, I won't update anything on my website soon...we recently upgraded Operating Systems and when I tried to update my webpage, I found that I need to use the next version of my web publishing software for it to work with our new OS. That is always a learning curve, we'll see when I find/make time to figure it out.  I did purchase the new version, it was on sale for the holidays at least!

Elizabeth, I'm curious how your test correlates with AR scores, if at all?  That's what I've been using informally to track Morgan's reading level - I check the reading level of the books she's reading easily, reading with a few struggles, etc.  Morgan scored a 3.7 on your test, and it correlates really well with what I have observed: Level 2 books are easy peasy for her, Level 3 books are no problem, and she can read level 4 books if she finds them interesting! she can't decode every single word, but she understands the story and I like that she's pushing herself to read these challenging books - I'm talking about things like The Cricket in Times Square and Ribsy and stuff like that.  Anyway, I was just curious.  I thought your test correlated much better with what I see in real life than her NRRF score did.

Elizabeth, I'm curious how your test correlates with AR scores, if at all? That's what I've been using informally to track Morgan's reading level - I check the reading level of the books she's reading easily, reading with a few struggles, etc. Morgan scored a 3.7 on your test, and it correlates really well with what I have observed: Level 2 books are easy peasy for her, Level 3 books are no problem, and she can read level 4 books if she finds them interesting! she can't decode every single word, but she understands the story and I like that she's pushing herself to read these challenging books - I'm talking about things like The Cricket in Times Square and Ribsy and stuff like that. Anyway, I was just curious. I thought your test correlated much better with what I see in real life than her NRRF score did.

Interesting!

It was not made to specifically correlate with AR, but is a mix of word frequency and phonetic difficulty of the words. Since AR goes by word frequency, it makes sense that it is also somewhat correlated with AR, but I do not use AR and did not even look at AR levels when developing the test.

I wanted a quick screening test that would work well for both children taught with phonics and taught with balanced literacy in schools. Most word list tests favor sight words and are not as good of a grade level test for children taught with phonics.

I agree with Rose. I use the Scholastic Bookwizard (I don't know how that compares to AR) to roughly track the level of my kid's books. The grade level on your test correlates very closely to the reading level of the books my kids read for pleasure. The NRRF seems to be more indicative of what my children can decode but not really read with good comprehension.

K daughter - Scored 1.4 on your test. She had 10 mistakes on Section 1 of the NRRF, so I think that's a NRRF grade level of 0. Is that the same as a K level?

3rd grade son - Scored 3.3 on your test. He had 1 mistake on Section 4 and 3 mistakes on Section 5 of the NRRF, so I think that's an NRRF grade level of 4th grade.

4th grade daughter - Scored 5.8 on your test. She finished the NRRF with one mispronunciation in Section 6.  She read the 8th grade test without mistakes. She mispronounced 3 words on the 10th grade test, so I stopped at that point. I think that scores at an 8th grade level.

You can tell her K level!  It's technically grade level 0, but no need to inform small children of this, K sounds much better than 0.

And yes, the other scores are computed correctly, I missed them yesterday but am checking my list and updating all my nice scores!  (It is fun to have a bunch of good scores for a change instead of a bunch of remedial below grade level scores.  Of course, I love the look in my students' eyes and  the smiles and hugs when they improve and gain self confidence, but I would rather they were just taught to read well in the first place.)

I've used your website so much, I am more than happy to do a little something for you. 

My son is 6.5, and in 1st grade in CA.

On your test, he scored a 3.3, and we stopped when he got his 10th word wrong, which was in the 5th group.

On the NRRF, he missed 1 in section 2, 2 in section 3, and 4 in section 4. 

I had my two older girls take the tests.

The oldest is in 5th grade. She scored 7.9 on your test and 10th grade level on the NRRF (missed 1 on 10th grade section and 3 on the 12 grade).

My other girl is in Kindergarten. She scored 1.5 on your test and got 4 wrong on the 1 section and 5 wrong on the 2 section of the NRRF.

DD6 (technically grade 1) - Your test got a 3.6 . NRRF test she missed her first word on in the grade 4 paragraph, putting her in grade 3 I think.

DD10 (grade 5) - Your test got a 4.3.  NRRF test she missed her first word in the 5th grade passage.  Actually in the 4th grade passage she inserted a word, but quickly corrected herself so I don't know if that counts. 

DD6 (technically grade 1) - Your test got a 3.6 . NRRF test she missed her first word on in the grade 4 paragraph, putting her in grade 3 I think.

DD10 (grade 5) - Your test got a 4.3.  NRRF test she missed her first word in the 5th grade passage.  Actually in the 4th grade passage she inserted a word, but quickly corrected herself so I don't know if that counts. 

For the NRRF test, the highest level for which you miss 1 question or less is the grade level up to the 6th grade test.  For the 8/10/12 portion, your grade level is the highest test where you miss 2 or less.

Interesting.

My ds (just turned 7 yo, 1st grader), scored a 6.7 on yours.  

On the NRRF, he missed 2 on the level 6.  DH insisted that he try the 8 and 10.  He missed 2 on the 8 and none on the 10.  So I guess he's level 5?  

Yes, technically still grade level 5 on the NRRF but very interesting, the 10th grade level passage is quite difficult compared to both 6 and 8.  Was he tired and distracted on the 6 and 8 ones and got a second wind?  Or perhaps the level 10 passage was an area he was more interested in or had more background knowledge about?