Menu

Catholics and Holy Days of Obligation

Joker

I posted this in the social group but it seems like activity there is really down.

We are in the process of RCIA and I had a question.

Our parish is somewhat small and they do not always have mass on these days. When they do, they are at 8am when only I can go because dh is at work and dds are at school. There was no mass today and the next closest was the cathedral downtown. They only had two and we could not make either of those. How obligatory are these days and what does it mean it you cannot attend?

Are you talking about the Feast of the Immaculate Conception?  It is my understanding that because it fell on a Sunday this year, it is not a holy day of obligation. 

My rule for holy days is to do your very best to get there and most parishes will have multiple masses on days of obligation.

Missing a HDO is on par with missing Sunday Mass (every Sunday Mass is a HDO). For me, missing a HDO is even harder spiritually as the feasts we celebrate are cornerstones of the faith. They isn't really a sliding scale of obligation - either you're called to attend, or it's optional. 

We're called to set these HDOs apart from the rest of our week, with rest and prayer and a sense that they are different. The Church understands the necessities of modern life, but cautions us to not use busy lives as an excuse. 

from the Catechism:

2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord's Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body.123 Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.

2187 Sanctifying Sundays and holy days requires a common effort. Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord's Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure. With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities. In spite of economic constraints, public authorities should ensure citizens a time intended for rest and divine worship. Employers have a similar obligation toward their employees.

If you don't attend, it's a grave sin. Confess, repent, and move on. Avoid making it a habit. Stretch what "I can't attend" means to you. Spend time in prayer with family.

Even on days that aren't pushed to a different day, our parish usually only has one morning service. I am the only one able to make it. I'm wondering what it all means if dh and dds cannot make it do to school and work. I guess what's throwing me is they are called days of obligation but what I'm getting is that you make it if you can but if not it's no big deal. So, it's not really an obligation?

This year since the Immaculate Conception fell on a Sunday the celebration of it gets moved to the 9th, since you don't celebrate it over celebrating the 2nd Sunday of Advent.  The obligatory aspect does not transfer over though so you are not obliged to attend on the 9th.  Just for future reference, generally if a holy day falls on a Saturday or Monday the obligation to go to Mass is lifted,  but that is never the case for The Immaculate Conception.

We change schedules in order to make it to Mass.  if my children were in school we would go to Mass and then send them to school late if an evening Mass was not an option.   My dh would go into work late in order to make it to Mass if it was only offered in the am.  Are there any churches around that have an evening Mass the night before celebrating the holy day?  That fulfills the obligation as well

Even on days that aren't pushed to a different day, our parish usually only has one morning service. I am the only one able to make it. I'm wondering what it all means if dh and dds cannot make it do to school and work. I guess what's throwing me is they are called days of obligation but what I'm getting is that you make it if you can but if not it's no big deal. So, it's not really an obligation?

Of course it is an obligation.  The above excerpts from the Catechism are not referring to the obligation to attend Mass.  That obligation is always there.  Those excerpts are referring to relaxing on sundays and holy days.  If you can physically get to Mass you are obligated to go.  If you choose to allow something else to get in the way you need to repent and try not to make it a habit.  Your dh could talk to his boss about his spiritual need to go to Mass on those days and request that he work with dh to make that a possibility.  Your children can certainly be late to school.

Of course it is an obligation.  The above excerpts from the Catechism are not referring to the obligation to attend Mass.  That obligation is always there.  Those excerpts are referring to relaxing on sundays and holy days.  If you can physically get to Mass you are obligated to go.  If you choose to allow something else to get in the way you need to repent and try not to make it a habit.  Your dh could talk to his boss about his spiritual need to go to Mass on those days and request that he work with dh to make that a possibility.  Your children can certainly be late to school.

Dh had to go to Orlando today and could not get out of that business trip. Dds have midterms next week and both had important first period assessments today. They are in ps for middle school and it is not as easy as you think. Their school is full of students from our parish and they weren't all absent for the morning either.

I'm just trying to figure it all out. I don't quite understand it all, especially since our parish doesn't even have mass on some of the days and the others only one that is not easily accessible to all.

Dh had to go to Orlando today and could not get out of that business trip. Dds have midterms next week and both had important first period assessments today. They are in ps for middle school and it is not as easy as you think. Their school is full of students from our parish and they weren't all absent for the morning either.

I'm just trying to figure it all out. I don't quite understand it all, especially since our parish doesn't even have mass on some of the days and the others only one that is not easily accessible to all.

Well to ease your mind for at least today,  their was no obligation to go to Mass on Monday even though the Immaculate Conception was celebrated today.  But for the future,  talk to your parish priest with your concerns.  Ask him why there are not ALWAYS Masses on Holy Days (because there certainly should be.)  Ask him if they could hold evening Masses on those days since the morning doesn't work for you working spouse and children in school.  If your parish is not accommodating families who have very normal schedules then that is a huge problem and needs to be addressed.

Are there no other churches around that celebrate in the evening either that day or the day before?

You might have your DH ask the priest for a dispensation, which removes the obligation.

I used to travel for work, and about 90% of the time I could get to Mass on a Sunday or Holy Day while on my business trip.  That other 10% of the time, I scheduled an appointment to see Father.  I'd ask for dispensation for my upcoming trip, then make Confession. If I wasn't sure, I'd request the dispensation and then attend Mass if I later found myself able.

There is also the option to find another area church.  Until this past year, my parish could only offer one Mass on HDOO, and two Masses over the weekend. We have added a new priest, and today's HDOO we expected to have two Masses. Most other HDOO we have two the day of, and one vigil the night before. I had to drive a bit farther to find those vigil Masses for HDOO before my parish was able to offer them. 

And as a last resort, record Mass on EWTN. Either listen to it on Catholic radio or watch it on Catholic television.  Effort matters. 

My bishop actually issued a diocese-wide dispensation this weekend, due to our weather and road conditions.  I've never heard of that done before. LOL 

You might have your DH ask the priest for a dispensation, which removes the obligation.

I used to travel for work, and about 90% of the time I could get to Mass on a Sunday or Holy Day while on my business trip.  That other 10% of the time, I scheduled an appointment to see Father.  I'd ask for dispensation for my upcoming trip, then make Confession. If I wasn't sure, I'd request the dispensation and then attend Mass if I later found myself able.

There is also the option to find another area church.  Until this past year, my parish could only offer one Mass on HDOO, and two Masses over the weekend. We have added a new priest, and today's HDOO we expected to have two Masses. Most other HDOO we have two the day of, and one vigil the night before. I had to drive a bit farther to find those vigil Masses for HDOO before my parish was able to offer them. 

And as a last resort, record Mass on EWTN. Either listen to it on Catholic radio or watch it on Catholic television.  Effort matters. 

My bishop actually issued a diocese-wide dispensation this weekend, due to our weather and road conditions.  I've never heard of that done before. LOL 

We've experienced a diocese-wide dispensation due to weather, too.

I've heard of friends who have had to travel where no Mass will be available and they get a dispensation for that. 

Horton, As Ripley suggests a dispensation might be something to consider if you ever anticipate a serious impediment to getting to Mass on a HDOO. Because, as the PP's mentioned, missing a HDOO would be a grave or mortal sin--as long as the usual conditions of knowledge and full consent are met.  

Missing a HDO is on par with missing Sunday Mass (every Sunday Mass is a HDO). For me, missing a HDO is even harder spiritually as the feasts we celebrate are cornerstones of the faith. They isn't really a sliding scale of obligation - either you're called to attend, or it's optional. 

We're called to set these HDOs apart from the rest of our week, with rest and prayer and a sense that they are different. The Church understands the necessities of modern life, but cautions us to not use busy lives as an excuse. 

from the Catechism:

2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord's Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body.[/size]

123 Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.[/size]

2187 [/size]Sanctifying Sundays and holy days requires a common effort. Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord's Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure. With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities. In spite of economic constraints, public authorities should ensure citizens a time intended for rest and divine worship. Employers have a similar obligation toward their employees.[/size]

If you don't attend, it's a grave sin. Confess, repent, and move on. Avoid making it a habit. Stretch what "I can't attend" means to you. Spend time in prayer with family.

I'm getting old and grouchy but sometimes I feel like the Catholic church should be subtitled "10,000 Ways to Go Straight to Hell". It's exhausting.

No big deal to...? You? God?

No, your priest will not call you out if you're not there. Your Catholic friends may or may not care. Most people will not ask.

I take my kids with me to any HDO during the day since the evening Mass times start interfering with bedtimes... I'm always very surprised that NONE of my SAHM friends who are Catholic are there that normally attend on Sundays.

But I don't bring it up to them, it's not really my business. But sometimes I'll mention how crazy Mass was on X Holy Day as a reminder ;)

ETA: Growing up, I never missed school to go to a HDO Mass, but we'd go as a family to the preceding evening's Vigil Mass, which also fulfills the obligation, just as Saturday Vigil does for Sunday.

Well, if you cannot go you cannot go. I know my dh cannot get off work like that or just go in late.  We usually catch a vigil Mass on such days but if they weren't offered dh wouldn't be able to go. Around here there aren't just lots of churches around, Catholics are a minority and we live rurally so churches are spread far apart (20-30 miles between them).