Menu

Do you follow the politics/progress of your local schools?

EmilyGF

I feel like I ought to, to be a good citizen, but mainly it makes me want to smash things.

Some moms I know are involved even when their kids don't go to the neighborhood school.

Sometimes I listen in just to remind myself I am doing the right things.

I'm from CA. Our schools had no money compared to the schools here and did a much better job. It makes me angry to see the useless things people fight for while forgetting about things that matter.

Emily

no! I would get angry if I did.  I know enough about it because of my dh's experiences with the schools, kids and parents. He teaches a martial arts program at one of the schools as one of their specials. I view myself as being a good citizen by not putting my kids in those schools and hopefully the better education I will give them will help them become successful citizens in the area.

I'm in CA too and our neighborhood schools PTA is so heavily involved in School Board members campaigns that most of my immediate neighbors have moved their kids to private schools. We had a change of school superintendent every two years and I don't know how long the current superintendent would stay on the job.  There was cat fights and backstabbing a few years ago.  Its honestly worse than watching "Desperate Housewives".

However everyone around do stay on top of school politics because our property tax and bond measures fund the local schools.  We are a basic aid district. We even have a bond measure to pay for school librarians salaries. School fundraising is crazier than private schools here.

Yes and no.

I'm aware enough to know how I want to vote on school issues that come up.

I hear from friends/family about what they are dealing with and judiciously keep my mouth shut while being glad my kids don't go there.

Our two districts (I'm on a line, so I get both.) send a glossy mini magazine pamphlet type thing out every quarter to every address in their districts advertising how good they think they are and addressing whatever common political thing is all the rage. (Currently common core and test scores and the A-F state school evaluation legislation.)

*snort* lol

That's a fabulous way to state things.

I'm telling you, it's THE best thing, especially when we have these old-guard veteran teachers telling us "you're doing the right thing, and I wish I had done it."  So far, one other teacher and the vice principal have pulled their kids out following our lead.  If that's not validation....

I'm telling you, it's THE best thing, especially when we have these old-guard veteran teachers telling us "you're doing the right thing, and I wish I had done it."  So far, one other teacher and the vice principal have pulled their kids out following our lead.  If that's not validation....

That is pretty scary.

Emily

No, not at all.  But we also aren't registered to vote or pay taxes to this state.  We vote in big elections in Texas, where we are residents, but that is all.  We don't have property there, so we don't even pay any taxes there.  When we were there, I knew nothing about the school system and didn't care because we knew we'd only be there two years and out before our son even started K (and we knew we were homeschooling anyway).  Here, I found out it was a jumbled mess after we got here, so I never even bothered to find out more.  

No, not at all.  But we also aren't registered to vote or pay taxes to this state.  We vote in big elections in Texas, where we are residents, but that is all.  We don't have property there, so we don't even pay any taxes there.  When we were there, I knew nothing about the school system and didn't care because we knew we'd only be there two years and out before our son even started K (and we knew we were homeschooling anyway).  Here, I found out it was a jumbled mess after we got here, so I never even bothered to find out more.  

I'm confused.  :huh:  How are you voting residents of Texas if you don't live there or own property there? 

I'm confused.  :huh:  How are you voting residents of Texas if you don't live there or own property there? 

Perhaps she is abroad?  I am an expat and my "home" state is the one I vote in/through in elections - it was my state of permanent residence when I left the country.  I could vote in pretty much any election, but choose to only take part in federal voting because I really am not a part of the local area.