Menu

Things heard around the homeschool...

I need a fun thread to take my mind off of how much pain I'm in (lower left back, lower abdominal, motrin and tylenol not helping, laid on the couch all day).

So what are the funny things you've heard or said because of homeschooling? Here's the top one in our house:

Has anyone seen my well trained mind? (I had loaned out my WTM book and forgotten.)

There are more, but I can't remember them right now. I'll post later if my well trained mind can recall them. :001_smile:

It seems that many of the questions that crop up in our school day are "answered" by Star Wars, e.g., when reading a medieval book which talks about becoming an apprentice (tailor, in this case.)

Me: Do you know what an apprentice is?

DS8: Sure! Remember in Star Wars, Obi Wan invites Anakin to be his apprentice? An apprentice is someone who learns from a master. Of course, Anakin was going to learn to be Jedi Knight, which is much cooler than being a tailor.

This is just one of many examples.

I need a fun thread to take my mind off of how much pain I'm in (lower left back, lower abdominal, motrin and tylenol not helping, laid on the couch all day).

So what are the funny things you've heard or said because of homeschooling? Here's the top one in our house:

. :001_smile:

Mom Zeus & Hera are FIGHTING again.. no no I think they're mating again!!

In our house Zeus & Hera are beardies.

My 5 yo (who hears her older sis peaking Romanian to friends on the puter):

"Mom, we need to take the kittens to church."

Me: "Church is not a good place to take kittens, honey,"

DD: "We HAVE to take them. They need to go to Sunday School and learn about Jesus!" (said very empahtically with a straight face- she was serious!)

Me: "Honey, I think that you need to teach the kittens about Jesus here at home."

DD: "Mom, I CAN'T! I don't speak "Meow!"

It seems that many of the questions that crop up in our school day are "answered" by Star Wars, e.g., when reading a medieval book which talks about becoming an apprentice (tailor, in this case.)

Me: Do you know what an apprentice is?

DS8: Sure! Remember in Star Wars, Obi Wan invites Anakin to be his apprentice? An apprentice is someone who learns from a master. Of course, Anakin was going to learn to be Jedi Knight, which is much cooler than being a tailor.

This is just one of many examples.

Star Wars is full of many answers in our household too. :D

One truly frustrating day I threatened ds to send him to public school. Where he would have to wear shoes and socks all day and sit in a chair. :glare:

Today I was reading from Genesis and ds moves when I read. I found these words coming from my mouth, "Son you can not have a fight with imaginary enemies while I am reading scripture, it's just not right."

This was today after reading to dc about cells.

"Mom, do boogars have cells in them because if they do then I've got extra ones!"

"Mom, so every time I pick the skin off my toes and eat it, I'm eating cells and the largest organ in the body?"

Of course these questions are by my boys!

My 5 yo (who hears her older sis peaking Romanian to friends on the puter):

"Mom, we need to take the kittens to church."

Me: "Church is not a good place to take kittens, honey,"

DD: "We HAVE to take them. They need to go to Sunday School and learn about Jesus!" (said very empahtically with a straight face- she was serious!)

Me: "Honey, I think that you need to teach the kittens about Jesus here at home."

DD: "Mom, I CAN'T! I don't speak "Meow!"

Oh send this in to Readers Digest! It is classically funny!

DS12 to mom upon entering his "lab" aka the milkhouse: look, Mom :) I made *name of solution* (mom has no short term memory)....(son points to a glass, water, something he used in the water, alligator clips, wire all connected to DAD's battery pack to the only drill in the house).

Thanks, guys. Some of these made me laugh out loud. Now I'm going to take some benedryl to help me sleep tonight.

Mommaduck, your post reminds me of my dh. When he was 12 or 13, his dad went outside one day and saw that dh had the carburetor from his car apart. Dad just told dh that he had to be at work at 3 pm and the car needed to be put back together by the time he had to leave. Dh got it back together and running, but he did have a couple of pieces left over. :lol:

My ds (7yo) a week ago while munching on some cheese puffs over at Oma's & Opa's house:

"You know, atoms eat atoms... because we're made of atoms and food is made of atoms. So, we're really just atoms eating other atoms."

I never realized the human race was entirely self-cannibalizing. :001_huh: