Menu

our move to new house did not go well

Jeannie in NJ

I stayed up all night (by myself) finishing the packing.  I ran out of boxes so started throwing stuff in big trash bags which I carefully labeled (not knowing that it was going to rain and all the labels would fall off).  The movers showed up late.  We had been told would take them 2 or 3 hours to move everything out of our house . The new owners were to come for their walkthru at noon and settlement was at 1 pm.  By 10.30 the movers (one truck and 3 guys) had not even cleared out one room.  Our realtor came by, she called the moving company and they sent another truck and more guys .  All of us (me, dh, dc, dd's boyfriend and realtor) started carrying stuff out to the moving truck.  We got everything out (were still cleaning for new owners walk true but that worked out) and we were 10 min late for settlement. 

When we got to our new house, like I said all the labels had fallen off the bags so I have 53 bags everywhere, some in basement, garage, main floor, 2nd floor, no rythme or reason.  It is so much fun unpacking.  Each bag we open is a surprise.

but we love the house and everything will be great once everything is in its place

Well, the way you set that up, I was sure you were going to say that dozens of unlabelled "garbage" bags of your belongings were actually dumped with the trash and gone forever... Either that or that you had accidentally moved dozens of bags of actual trash... Or both...

Could have been worse.

Feel better now?

I'm glad you're moved and it sounds like you're in place with a good attitude in tact.

Our move, in a snow storm, also involving garbage bags and me not being ready when the truck got here despite working the entire night was an absolute disaster. Comparatively, yours went great!

Well, the way you set that up, I was sure you were going to say that dozens of unlabelled "garbage" bags of your belongings were actually dumped with the trash and gone forever... Either that or that you had accidentally moved dozens of bags of actual trash... Or both...

Could have been worse.

Feel better now?

This is what I was expecting. That these trash bags did not get to the new house!

Well, that's much better than where I thought you were going with the trash bags. 

When my parents were first married, my mom was putting my dad through school by working as a waitress at some diner. She had packed all of her clothes in trash bags and had told my dad repeatedly that they were NOT trash. Well, she came home from work in her stinky waitress uniform and he had taken all the bags to the dump. They raced to the dump and everything had already been picked through. She found one shoe. They weren't married long. ;)