Menu

Child Friendly Appetizer ( ideas needed)

OK Family

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Parameters:

White or 'normal' whole wheat bread

Creamy Skippy peanut butter

Grape jelly, no lumps

Cut crusts off, then cut in quarters

The above moves this into the 'treat' category, while having quarters makes it an appetizer.  Guaranteed to disappear and to be very welcome by kids who just want something sort of normal.

This is called "little piggies" at our house and is a traditional breakfast food for all holidays. Ours are small, cocktail sausages wrapped in 1/3 of a crescent roll from a tube or some similarly shaped dough conjured in the bread machine. The sauce in the photo looks to be red, but we serve three types of mustard. Eggs to order, little piggies, and "fruitsie drinks" (AKA all-fruit smoothies) complete our go to holiday morning offering.

I'm attempting to make this for a party this weekend:

hotdog_wreath.jpg

I have never been to a party where pigs in a blanket are served. I have heard of it, but thought it was something they ate back in Mad Men times. I didn't know anyone actually made it anymore.

Learn something new every day around here. :001_smile:

I am cracking up imagining the looks on people's faces if I served that. I could take pictures and post them here. It would be fantastic!

I have never been to a party where pigs in a blanket are served. I have heard of it, but thought it was something they ate back in Mad Men times. I didn't know anyone actually made it anymore.

Learn something new every day around here. :001_smile:

I am cracking up imagining the looks on people's faces if I served that. I could take pictures and post them here. It would be fantastic!

These are fairly common at gatherings around here, though I haven't seen them recently.  (I blame Pinterest and all its new, super-cool ideas. :P)

We mostly make them for snacks at home...

Another suggestion:  I make a dip with cream cheese, vanilla and brown sugar.  So yummy.  Serve with sliced apples or cubed fruit and toothpicks.  (Though for me, it falls into the Nutella method of eating -- just use a spoon.)

1 lb uncured bacon from foraged hogs

:lol:

I wonder if this would work with regular potatoes.....

Oh. Yeah. I forget about the instructions. :lol:

I use applewood bacon from the Amish market. Butter from Trader Joe's (because butter form TJ's or WholeFoods is actually cheaper than the dodgy butter from the regular grocery). Sweet potatoes from our local (conventional) farm where I buy them by the case in the fall... I think mine taste better.

This is a for a homeschool coop. Both parents and children will be there. I think I am leaning on doing individual bags of our holiday Christmas popcorn. No not an appetizer, but easy finger food. We pop simply salted popcorn, let cool. Melt white chocolate chips, drop over popcorn. Sprinkle with mini m&m's and let harden. My kids love it and it's festive. I will still do an actual appetizer just haven't decided yet.