Menu

Need help with next Latin step

I have also posted this in the Logic Stage forum but was hoping to also get some BTDT advice from folks here.

Dd (5th grade) is 2/3 through Latin for Children C.  We will finish up not long after the holidays.  I might stretch it out a little with some more review and games.  Either way, it is time to start figuring out the next step.

Our long-term plans include homeschooling through graduation.  I would like dd to start learning a conversational language in high school.  Because I do not speak anything other than English, this will have to be outsourced, either by community college or some sort of home-based course with someone other than me in charge.  This may or may not work out so our default plan for the high school foreign language requirement will be Latin.  She likes it so might continue Latin AND another language.  Meanwhile, in preparation for that day, I would like to continue Latin.  

I have poked around looking at the different options and don't feel like I can gather enough info to determine what programs would be a good fit.  Here are my basic requirements:

1.  Geared towards a student who has mastery of the material in LFC A-C.  Some review is OK but not too much or too slow.  Dd gets bored with review quickly.

2.  Is directed to the student and has either a recorded (DVD/CD) component or direct correspondence with a teacher.  I am hanging on by the seat of my pants with LFC.  Dd masters it much quicker than I do and I cannot keep up with the vocabulary.  At this point, I am able to help her with the program but that day is coming to an end soon.  

3.  Is secular or mostly so.  I don't mind religious references but do not want a program that is very religiously based.

Based on the above, what are my options?

Not sure of what you've covered already in grammar but you might take a look at Lukeion. It uses Wheelocks and covers about a chapter a week. So even if the first bit is review I think the pace would present a nice challenge.

They are pretty responsive to email questions. So they can probably help you with placement.

I think part of it depends on how far your dd wants to go in Latin.  LFC is based on Wheelocks, so it is a very easy transition.  However, Lukeion does move quickly.  My dd (13) id taking Lukeion Latin 1 after having completed LFC A and most of B.  Being familiar with the material and a great deal of the vocabulary made the transition to a high school level course easier, but it is still a demanding course with a good deal of homework each week.  It is very doable, but it does take some skill in scheduling it all. 

What I think you should consider is if you want your dd to continue through Latin 3 and AP Latin.  Latin 3 with Lukeion requires word studies in the form of 6 papers.  I think that this requires a little more maturity.  The AP Latin exam (as well as the class) requires a great deal of writing and literary analysis.  Your dd may very well be capable of this, but it also may be a bit too challenging for someone so young.  However, you know your dd and what she is capable of!  Both of my children love Lukeion  Latin, btw, and my ds is loving AP Latin.

You might consider Lively Latin for next year, and then have your dd start with Lukeion Latin 1 in 7th grade.  This way your dd would have 2 years of high school level Latin before high school.  This is what I am doing with my older two children.  My ds will switch to a modern language next year. 

Blessings,

Michelle

Thanks!  I had not even looked into Lukeion before.  I spend a good deal of time on the site today.  I agree that it would be a stretch for a 6th grader.  Dd is bright but is not necessarily "gifted."  I think it might be a great fit for 7th or 8th though.  Now to decide what to do for the next 1-2 years?  Latin Alive would probably be the easiest choice.  I cannot tell from the Lively Latin website what age/level the program is geared towards.  

Thanks!  I had not even looked into Lukeion before.  I spend a good deal of time on the site today.  I agree that it would be a stretch for a 6th grader.  Dd is bright but is not necessarily "gifted."  I think it might be a great fit for 7th or 8th though.  Now to decide what to do for the next 1-2 years?  Latin Alive would probably be the easiest choice.  I cannot tell from the Lively Latin website what age/level the program is geared towards.  

I finally found the FAQ section....  It looks like Lively Latin will cover the same content as LFC A-C so it would likely be redundant for dd.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks! I had not even looked into Lukeion before. I spend a good deal of time on the site today. I agree that it would be a stretch for a 6th grader. Dd is bright but is not necessarily "gifted." I think it might be a great fit for 7th or 8th though. Now to decide what to do for the next 1-2 years? Latin Alive would probably be the easiest choice. I cannot tell from the Lively Latin website what age/level the program is geared towards.

You might take a look at Lukeion's grammar course. They often recommend that as a prep for later Latin study.