Menu

Help with next Latin step

I am also posting this in the High School forum in hopes of getting some BTDT advice.

Dd (5th grade) is 2/3 through Latin for Children C.  We will finish up not long after the holidays.  I might stretch it out a little with some more review and games.  Either way, it is time to start figuring out the next step.

Our long-term plans include homeschooling through graduation.  I would like dd to start learning a conversational language in high school.  Because I do not speak anything other than English, this will have to be outsourced, either by community college or some sort of home-based course with someone other than me in charge.  This may or may not work out so our default plan for the high school foreign language requirement will be Latin.  She likes it so might continue Latin AND another language.  Meanwhile, in preparation for that day, I would like to continue Latin.  

I have poked around looking at the different options and don't feel like I can gather enough info to determine what programs would be a good fit.  Here are my basic requirements:

1.  Geared towards a student who has mastery of the material in LFC A-C.  Some review is OK but not too much or too slow.  Dd gets bored with review quickly.

2.  Is directed to the student and has either a recorded (DVD/CD) component or direct correspondence with a teacher.  I am hanging on by the seat of my pants with LFC.  Dd masters it much quicker than I do and I cannot keep up with the vocabulary.  At this point, I am able to help her with the program but that day is coming to an end soon.  

3.  Is secular or mostly so.  I don't mind religious references but do not want a program that is very religiously based.

Based on the above, what are my options?

I am using both Latin Alive and Lingua Latina with my DS.  Latin Alive is the continuation of LFC, if I recall correctly.  Our experience has been wonderful, and I highly recommend it.  There is also a DVD component, and I believe you can also get help on their website (vague memory on that, so I could be wrong).  I'm sure there is review of LFC concepts in it, but maybe your DD could just fly through the beginning chapters, or skip them if she already knows the content.

Lingua Latina is *totally* different than LFC or LA, but we have found it to be a fabulous complement to LA.  LA is traditional, with a vocab list and explicit grammar and some translation exercises.  Lingua Latina, on the other hand, just tosses you right into reading.  It is written for easy comprehension of unknown vocab and grammar (lots of context clues, for instance).  My DS finds it SO fun.  We read through the chapters together and converse (in Latin!) following the questions at the end of each chapter.  The text is completely in Latin, but I also purchased the College Companion, which is a huge help when I get stuck on understanding something in the text.

Visual Latin is a DVD program that uses Lingua Latina as its text, and gives explicit grammar instruction.  You would have to ask them about whether your DD would be in Level 1 or 2 after LFC A-C (I would guess still Level 1, but it will treat grammar concepts in a different order, and will have different vocab).  I don't own this program (yet!) but the teacher seems to be very entertaining, enthusiastic, and accessible. 

I am using both Latin Alive and Lingua Latina with my DS.  Latin Alive is the continuation of LFC, if I recall correctly.  Our experience has been wonderful, and I highly recommend it.  There is also a DVD component, and I believe you can also get help on their website (vague memory on that, so I could be wrong).  I'm sure there is review of LFC concepts in it, but maybe your DD could just fly through the beginning chapters, or skip them if she already knows the content.

Lingua Latina is *totally* different than LFC or LA, but we have found it to be a fabulous complement to LA.  LA is traditional, with a vocab list and explicit grammar and some translation exercises.  Lingua Latina, on the other hand, just tosses you right into reading.  It is written for easy comprehension of unknown vocab and grammar (lots of context clues, for instance).  My DS finds it SO fun.  We read through the chapters together and converse (in Latin!) following the questions at the end of each chapter.  The text is completely in Latin, but I also purchased the College Companion, which is a huge help when I get stuck on understanding something in the text.

Visual Latin is a DVD program that uses Lingua Latina as its text, and gives explicit grammar instruction.  You would have to ask them about whether your DD would be in Level 1 or 2 after LFC A-C (I would guess still Level 1, but it will treat grammar concepts in a different order, and will have different vocab).  I don't own this program (yet!) but the teacher seems to be very entertaining, enthusiastic, and accessible. 

Thanks!  This is very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Lukeion is an online program with placement tests available to determine which class is appropriate. The class covers Roman history and culture, to some extent, as well as language. As a result, they have a high number of NLE top performers. We're not there yet, but it is high on the 'serious consideration' list for both ds and I for next year. Love that an experienced, knowledgable teacher instructs and that she is the one ds would be accountable to.

Oh, ds used Visual Latin independently last year. He enjoyed the humor in the lessons and the many translations have really paid off this year in Henle. I don't recall percentage too well, but do remember being pleased that many of the translations were Bible passages. Not sure how much of an issue this might be for you, but wanted to let you know since you mentioned it as a consideration in your decision. Henle is very self guided, but requires lots of checking and not the most helpful answer key. It is a Catholic text with many religious references, but the exercises spend far more time on war b/t the Romans and the Gauls than it does on religion. Our co-op uses Henle, and the results are good with diligent study, but I'd never choose it if not for the co-op. (Which is why we did not do Lukeion this year).