Menu

Freaky Tooth Loss -- anyone BTDT?

LisaKinVA

Alright, now I have seen it all (yeah, probably shouldn't say that with my kid and their teeth...but still).

My 7yo daughter has lost her TWO year old molar.  The baby EYE tooth AND 1-yr molar are still there, but she has this cap of a well-worn TWO year old molar in a plastic baggie.

I know I'll be calling the dentist on Monday -- but seriously has anyone seen this happen before?

No, it's a baby tooth...but it's not supposed to come out for about 4 more years, and after the eye tooth and the one year molar. Her 6 year molar is permanent, and in it's proper position.

Well, that's good!

I know my DD had all her permanent teeth at 12 years old and the dentist said she was on the early side.

My son had this exact same thing happen.  They did an x-ray to determine where the permanent tooth was.  Since it will be several years until it comes in they put in a spacer.  They will check his x-ray yearly and when the permanent tooth is close to breaking through, they will remove the spacer so it can come in properly.  If he didn't have the spacer done, his other molars and teeth would have closed the gap and we would be facing major orthodontic things in the future.  Getting the spacer was a super easy procedure and didn't take very long.  The worst part was getting the mold done so they could get it made.  My son has a bad gag reflex and he had to hold the clay in his mouth for x number of seconds and I really thought he was going to throw up all over the tech.  She just kept telling him only 20 more seconds, 15 more seconds, etc trying to get him not to focus on what was in his mouth.