Menu

What do you like to use for teaching typing?

Jane Elliot

I'm looking for something to teach proper typing technique to the 6-10 year old crowd. What has worked for you?

eta: I'm hoping for something that wouldn't involve too much input from me. The software we've always used has been completely student led, but it keeps freezing up. It's always had this problem, and now I just want something else.

We've used the BBC Dance Mat Typing, TypingPal when we got a deal through HSBC, but for the long-term we use Mavis Beacon. My littlest ones use Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing for Kids, but they all end up with just the regular Mavis Beacon.

All of the others we've used serve to encourage and interest and assist them in getting better acquainted with the keyboard and getting them moving in the right direction with typing on their own and not looking at the keys. But to me, all of those other programs are like appetizers and light meals, while Mavis Beacon is the main course. 

My school age kids (6 to 14 years old) have loved Typing Instructor Platinum version 21 PC. Ebay or Timberdoodle have good prices. We did BBC Dance Mat, but needed something more engaging to keep them practicing regularly (key in learning typing!). Last summer they tackled it, and learned a lot by leaps and bounds. My 11 year old son enjoys it so much, he still plays some of the games.

Thank you for all these ideas. I purchased Mavis Beacon. All the free online options look great, too. 18ds came home for college break this week with a broken leg. He's bored. I think I'll get him to install Mavis Beacon and help 8dd and 10ds find and navigate the other sites you all recommended. I really appreciate all your help.