Menu

Marketing failures?

Laura Corin

I went on the Jelly Bellies tour near San Francisco and I think the basic message was, "made with all natural flavorings when possible."  I'm guessing with buttered popcorn, it was "not possible."  Same with 99% of the other beans... but they sure are good.  :-)

Because of a large local Muslim population, our grocery store places stickers on some foods of a pig with an X through it to indicate no pork.  I don't know why, but this always makes me laugh.  I guess it's more visual than a "pork free" label. 

What marketing materials have ended up telling you more than the marketers wanted you to know?

I picked up a loaf of bread that said, 'Baked in Britain'.  

So the other bread I buy is not?  Where is it baked?  When?  Why?

L

The French bread kinda sneers at you from the shelf -- easy to spot if you look for it.

All the "Fat Free" labels on the candy aisle always get me. Of course it's fat free. It's made with HFCS. Which converts to fat when you eat the entire 5lb bag of "fat free" Skittles in one go.

Popsicles marked "quiescently frozen" because all the others are violently shaken throughout the entire freezing process, I guess?

A bag of peas labeled "vegan." Really? How do you have non-vegan fresh vegetables?

I always get a chuckle when I pick up a container of medjool dates and am informed on the package that they are 'vegan' and 'gluten-free' :smilielol5:

At least in the past, packaging for dried fruits has sometimes been dusted with flour to keep the fruit from sticking.  It isn't always indicated on the label, since it's not an ingredient in the food.  Marking these gluten-free is a good thing.