Menu

What are YOU proud of this week?

AK_Mom4

What have been your accomplishments? Had any fantastic moments? Epiphanies? Moderately not-bad events?

I am proud this week that I.....

...Agreed to help with costumes for the children's pageant, even though all of my kids are too old. Christmas Eve will find me once again outfitted with two full rolls of duct tape and a box of safety pins doing emergency wardrobe repairs to flocks of bawling baby sheep.

... Showed restraint by removing the sentence "you have bats in your belfry and are 10 cookies shy of a dozen" from an email before I sent it.

...washed all the towels and sheets from Thanksgiving guests on Monday.

I tackled my storage unit. 12 years' worth of who-can-remember-what. LOL

I retired earlier this year, and this was supposed to be my first task. I figured I'd better get to it before it gets too cold, though. And I did.  Kind of.  About half of those boxes are now in my garage and I'm parked on the street, but at least I'm not paying for the unit anymore and I'm 1/2 a unit lighter!

Every other month my boss sends a power point presentation to the VP of our department showing the "numbers" of all our department does. He has delegated this responsibility to me and today was the first time I attempted it on my own. I have to pull data from a spread sheet, make the graphs and put them in the PP. He is very meticulous in general and very particular on how it looks, because as the supervisor, it has his name on it. When I finished it, I emailed it to him for approval. He said it looked great and nothing needed to be changed on it!  :hurray:

My younger dd and I volunteered at Feed My Starving Children today. It is a great service project opportunity and we did it with friends from our homeschool co-op. It is a Christian organization but all are welcome to volunteer 2 hours to put together nutritious food packs. I have a cold so I'm proud I dragged myself out and I was able to do a job that did not require me working with food itself. Here is a link for any who may be interested:

http://fmsc.org

Congratulations, everyone---those are things to be proud of :party:

I am enjoying the Christmas season for the first time since 2007. We had several awful years with my mother's illness, death, my father's unexpected death, and sorting out of their estate/selling their house. The holidays had been something to just get through.

I am in the finals period for my classes (all online). I finished one class today, the rest I will finish next week. Last week ds and I finished a long term undone "project" - like 2 1/2 years undone. I wasn't sure I could accomplish it, it took a lot of planning and dealing with a lot of nagging issues along the way, but we did it. Ds kept me from losing it emotionally a couple of times along the way - I am so proud of the young man he is becoming. Now that it's over, my stress level has diminished by about 50% (which is huge for me). 

I managed to keep my house from looking like a bomb went off. (It's messy, just not bomb-messy.)

I got my rear kicked during my first personal training session on Monday and still managed to drag myself back on Wednesday to re-kick it myself. (Skipped today due to weather.)

I attacked the nasty cobwebs behind my nightstand.

Today is day 33 on my habits - 

Fitbit step minimum

Green Smoothie

Digestive Enzymes 3x a day

Monitor blood sugar/blood pressure

No rice (hard for someone raised in Japan)

Keep living room clean (I still have to do this one tonight before I can count it)

10 min. dog grooming (which sounds rather random but the dogs fight me on this and so I needed extra incentive to do it!)

I am very proud of my son for taking on a project.  He was at the skating rink (which he rarely attends) and noticed there was a lot of vulgar graffiti on the notice board and the doors that go to the change rooms.  He wrote a letter to town council asking if he could have permission to clean it and/or paint over it because "there were a lot of little kids there and they shouldn't be seeing that."  They gave him permission and he asked me yesterday for a ride to town to buy magic erasers and paint and go to the rink.  I had no idea that he had done this.  I was going to help him, but he asked if I would let him do it alone.  I did.

I applied for a job! I am ridiculously overqualified in an academic sense, and under qualified as far as experience goes, but I am proud of myself for getting my résumé together after 10 years out of work. I had somehow failed to keep a record of anything I did or published in my last job, so it was a huge effort to find all that info again.

I got back on track with my diet, and am losing weight again after a bad week. I'm doing an online diet programme with menus and recipes, so it takes planning and organisation, both of which have been lacking lately.

Dh got a rare day off work, and we built a nesting box for the chickens - something I've been meaning to do for months.

I work part time for a large retailer that many people hate...but they treat me very well. I worked on Thanksgiving and as a reward, they gave us 25% off a purchase.  We didn't need to buy holiday gifts or anything but dh decided to stock up on ALL household stuff- toilet paper, paper towels, trash bags, toiletries, shampoo, vitamins, etc. And stock up on food that will last (and we have a large freezer). We saved $296.  And bought not one impulse item- just bought things we'll use in the coming months. And the very next day, dd called and needed us to advance her a check for her exchange program for Japan next year...$300. Perfect.  I am proud that we're all stocked up and that we saved enough to cover the application fee. 

My boss at the diner was bragging about me to other staff and customers after a stellar shift.  Wednesday night there was only 3 of us running the diner, I am a cook so I did all my cooking and my usual end of night clean up of my area, the boss was supposed to be doing dishes and prep but she sliced her finger open while cutting green onions so I also washed all the dishes for the night and cleaned that back area AND helped the waitress get the dining room cleaned up at the end of night.  We close at 9pm, by 905 I had my station, the back area, all the dishes done and was finishing stacking chairs in the diningroom so the waitress could leave right on time and boss could do cash out AND I had done the dish cloth/apron laundry we had piled up.  THEN I did my other nightly cleaning (I go in 7 days a week and do bathrooms and diningroom floor) and locked up the diner by 10pm.  Boss was seriously impressed, I am like that all shift every shift but usually there is more of us there and there is more customers so she doesn't notice all I put in.

On Friday night both teens earned their half yellow belts in kuk sool won.  It was their first testing since they began in september and they are both thrilled.

I am proud of the fact that my almost-8-yr old's letter to Santa included a few small items for himself but also "I mostly want to help other people. there are lots of homeless people in *ourcity* and maybe you could use your magic to give them some help like blankets, warm clothes, some money, and toys for their kids". I heard him telling his younger sister (they were working on their santa letters together) that she should ask Santa to do something nice too because how would SHE like it if she didnt have a family and had to sleep in the snow on xmas. 

Pretty sure I cried for two full days after he read it to me. 

I am proud of the fact that my almost-8-yr old's letter to Santa included a few small items for himself but also "I mostly want to help other people. there are lots of homeless people in *ourcity* and maybe you could use your magic to give them some help like blankets, warm clothes, some money, and toys for their kids". I heard him telling his younger sister (they were working on their santa letters together) that she should ask Santa to do something nice too because how would SHE like it if she didnt have a family and had to sleep in the snow on xmas. 

Pretty sure I cried for two full days after he read it to me. 

geeze thanks a lot, I leave for work in 10 minutes and now I am the one crying.  What a sweet child you have there.  that is definitely something to be proud of.

geeze thanks a lot, I leave for work in 10 minutes and now I am the one crying.  What a sweet child you have there.  that is definitely something to be proud of.

Yup he has a big big heart, and feels injustice very deeply. 

He was so sweet when he said to me, after reading me the letter, "Mom santa is magic...so why cant all the kids just ask him to use his magic to make stuff like that not happen?" - - big innocent eyes. Annnnnd my heart broke. 

So this year, "Santa" will make a donation to our shelter in Evan's name, leave him a card with the receipt in it, and tell him that he needs his help in the rest of the year to keep making a difference, blahblah. 

DD15 used to be very confident and has stood up for other people all of her life.  Enter a boyfriend a few months ago....and I started seeing her giving in more and more on silly little things, just to make him happy.  We talked about what I was seeing and she agreed that she wasn't staying true to who she really is on the inside.  Since our chat, she has started standing up for herself more, but tonight, I saw her not only stand up for herself, but to flip a stupid situation right back on him.  

I loved seeing her back to herself and was proud of her for standing up to him.  

I cleaned out, rearranged, and organized my kitchen cabinets today. They have been moderately organized, with a large dash of hodge-podge since we moved in in August! One shelf was bowed down, so I measured and cut a scrap piece of wood to prop up the middle and re-level it.

Then, I tackled the kids' bedroom (meh, not bad) and closet (yikes!). Rearranged furniture in there a little bit.

Toss in a little bit of feeding kids, vacuuming 1/2 the apartment, and a little bit of laundry, and I'm leaving the dishes for tomorrow cuz I'm pooped.

I plan to have this place neat and clean so that when we pack to travel for Christmas, there are no junk pile obstacles AND we'll have a nice, neat home when we get back.