Menu

Gift ideas for dh

Changed

Dh's birthday is next week. I hate shopping and hate trying to figure out what to get someone (except my kids, because that's easy and I can do it all online). I tell him every year not to get me anything and he always does, so then I need to get him something. I know, I know, I shouldn't have that attitude but I do!

Anyway... Can you help me out?

He loves books and loves to read, although he doesn't have time since he's in school and works full time.

He likes history and learning about interesting people.

He's a Christian.

He likes being outside.

He has to be doing something--some project or home improvement.

He's 40-something.

Any ideas? Oh! And if I could order it from home that would be even better!

audiobook or dvd - something historical fiction or maybe interesting biography of historical figure ...?

What home projects does he (or do you) have on the to-do list? Maybe something there will hint to other good ideas.

How about an experience of some kind? This year I gave my impossible-to-shop for ex-husband a class at the local glassblowing store. In the last few years I've gotten him a helicopter tour, a parachute jump, a racetrack lesson and race, and an organized canoe trip. Things he wants to do, or maybe didn't realize he wants to do, but never felt he had the time for and would never get for himself.

audiobook or dvd - something historical fiction or maybe interesting biography of historical figure ...?

What home projects does he (or do you) have on the to-do list? Maybe something there will hint to other good ideas.

How about an experience of some kind? This year I gave my impossible-to-shop for ex-husband a class at the local glassblowing store. In the last few years I've gotten him a helicopter tour, a parachute jump, a racetrack lesson and race, and an organized canoe trip. Things he wants to do, or maybe didn't realize he wants to do, but never felt he had the time for and would never get for himself.

He doesn't have a project going currently. He usually just sees something that needs done and does it.

I love the experience idea--a canoe or rafting trip would be right up his alley. I have no idea if there are places around here for that, though. I guess I need to search online. Of course, that gift won't be useable until warmer weather.

Audio book or DVD sounds promising, I just have no idea where to start. Anyone have a recommendation?

I generally buy my husband tools.  He also has a 40 year old truck he'd like to restore, I've bought him parts as a gift as well.  He likes practical gifts and hates to spend money on himself.  Since I don't always know what exactly he needs, several years ago I asked for a wish list and asked him to send me a link to additional tools or parts.  He still does it.  Periodically I ask him if he needs something taken off the list.

Two of his favorite gifts from me have been a small tool box and a pocket knife, a really nice one.