Menu

Does anyone here work in historic preservation?

elegantlion

As I'm lining up what kind of jobs I would consider down the road, historic preservation comes to mind as an option. I know that can mean a thousand different things, but I wondered if anyone works/has worked in that field and could point me to some industry websites for jobs or professional affiliations. 

As I'm lining up what kind of jobs I would consider down the road, historic preservation comes to mind as an option. I know that can mean a thousand different things, but I wondered if anyone works/has worked in that field and could point me to some industry websites for jobs or professional affiliations.

I have a friend who is a historical researcher for AR state parks.

Can you narrow it down a little bit? Dh has done work for quite a few historical preservation clients, usually for documents.

Not really because I'm not even sure what exactly what's out there. I can see working with historic properties in some capacity. I also have a fascination with old cemeteries. 

Historic preservation generally refers to properties/buildings. A graduate degree would be in public history or applied history (different schools name their programs differently) with a concentration in historic preservation. The program I went through for archives offered museum studies, archives, and historic preservation. Most of my cohort who were in the HP track work for the National Park Service now. Others work at local historic properties or museums. All have jobs and from their Facebook posts, are very much enjoying them.

One of the non-profits with which I am involved formerly owned a historic building.  An analysis of the building was performed for us by grad students in public history, a field someone else mentioned.

Just an aside:  we as a group found that we were pulled in two directions by the idea of being "green".  To the public historians, this meant keeping the original materials in the house and out of the landfill.  To the green designers/architects, it meant replacing inefficient old materials with new, ecologically sustainable ones.  Throw in the ADA and our heads were spinning.  The group sold the house.

Thank you, this has given a direction to look. I don't know where I'll end up, but this gives me more options. I'm fortunate to live in an area with a lot of historic properties. The preservation societies have a hard time because of the downward economics of the area. My own home was built in 20s and retains much of the original structure (except the kitchen - thankfully).