Menu

What is YOUR 'desert island' sandwich?

unsinkable

I wasn't a huge sandwich fan even before I was diagnosed with celiac. So I don't want to have to eat a sandwich everyday on the deserted island. But I will take a sushi roll with any kind of raw fish, jalapenos or other hot pepper, and lemon sauce over the whole thing. Wasabi and pickled ginger on the side please. :)

I have made it my mission in life to successfully turn any sandwich into a salad. I am really getting good at it, if I do say so myself! :tongue_smilie:

If it can be a specific sandwich, I want the #3 from Jimmy John's - it's tuna.

If I can't have take-out, then I pick the sandwich my best friend's mom used to pack her for lunch: peanut butter on wheat, no crusts, stuffed with Doritos.

We didn't really eat sandwiches growing up, and I don't really eat them now because I never got into sandwich meat. These are about the only two I can stomach, much less survive on. LOL

peanut butter, screw the sandwich. I just want cases and cases of peanut butter and easy to obtain supply of "local" honey, cause you know both must be all natural certified organic - it's on the recipe.  ;) Oh and a spoon. 

No doubt! I have difficulty going even one day without peanut butter.  

It would need to be a PBJ (peanuts & salt, fruit and fruit juices).  I have had periods in my life where I've had pbj's 3 times a day.

Doner Kebab sandwich.   :drool5:   I've been craving it since we left Germany...two very long years ago.  ;)

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/street-food-in-germany-doner-kebab-kebap-sandwich.html

You don't have a Doner place at your PX???  We have one and their line is always long.  They are crazy expensive, but no one seems to care, they just want a Doner!  This was Indy's favorite food when we lived in Germany.  I liked the veggie version, with rice, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, corn and sauce.  YUM!!!!

Okay, it's difficult choice!  It would be either:

Caprese sandwich (no vinegar)

Veggi Doner Kebab (see above for ingredients)

Turkey on a soft roll with provolone, apple slices and yellow mustard

Can I have a dessert sandwich too?  If so, I'd like a warm baguette with a Hershey bar in it.  If you've never had one of these, you've never truly lived.  The bread needs to be warm, so the outer part of the Hershey bar melts ever so slightly.  

I only read the first page and already I can't decide.

Either:

a reuben on a good marble rye

a Philly cheesesteak with onions and mushrooms (agreeing with PP that it has to come from near Philly)

taylor ham, egg and cheese on a hard roll (must come from an authentic Jersey diner)

-or-

Gyro with extra tsatsiki sauce (I know I spelled tsatsiki wrong but spell-check doesn't have a suggestion and I'm too lazy to look it up).

ETA:  Oooohhh a bagel.  Warm onion bagel with veggie cream cheese.  And that Hershey bar in a warm baguette sounds amazing.  I will definitely have to try that sometime.

I'd have to go with my favorite sandwich from a German deli we used to have here (sadly they closed down a few years ago).  I don't know the exact recipe, but it was heavenly:  German Lyoner (a type of bologna, but yummier), sweet and sour red cabbage, Muenster cheese (or maybe it was Swiss - can't remember), mayo, and dijon mustard, on a baguette.  

roast chicken, salad and  tomato in a wrap.

I love left over roast chicken sandwiches. I have only had them a handful of times in  my life. The very rare time we have roast chicken there is no leftover for sandwiches.

The only detention I ever had in my whole school life was because I was staying at someone else's house and their mother  made roast chicken sandwiches for my lunch. I could not wait for lunch and snuck them into the classroom and ate them in class.

There are a few sandwiches I'd pack ingredients for before I got shipwrecked on an island, but if it's eat-every-day-for-the-rest-of-my-life then either a chicken sandwich with cranberry mayo or an Arabic shwarma sandwich I used to get from a local supermarket that contained grilled aubergine and cauliflower and tahina for sauce, and somehow always dripped oil. It's a toss up, because eating the latter sandwich would considerably shorten the stay on the desert island!