Menu

Happy feast of St. Nicholas!!!! Were your stockings filled?

MomOfOneFunOne

Yeppers! He left gold coins (of course!), oranges, kiwi and a little book for each. My husband read A Perfect Christmas last night, after vespers, in anticipation.

Joyous feast to all!

I read this book to my kids: http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/and-now-we-call-him-santa-claus/

DS4 loved it! We had been talking up saints during November, so I think it meant a lot to him to connect the two Santa concepts.

We remembered it while we drove around looking at Christmas lights last night, then promptly forgot once we had everyone to bed, had to clean up the kitchen, juiced for the next two days and tried to get to bed 'early' by 10pm. DH woke this morning, "We forgot St. Nicholas." :-( Fortunately, with the snow, the kids have not remembered either. I had even scoped out the gold coins at our nearby grocery. Oh, well, there's next year! (as I toss MomGuilt out the window! :-)

We still do stockings on Christmas Morning. Not only am I too disorganized to get those done by the 6th (on top of making sure the Jesse Tree and Advent calendars go up on time!), but it's the one feast day my MIL does.  They're from communist Europe, and it's always been their big celebration day.

The extended family gets together for a big party on the weekend closest to the feast day.  Kids leave their shoes by the door as they arrive. At some point during the party, St. Nicholas rings the doorbell. He hands everyone a candy cane, says his spiel, then comes in for a shot (or five!) with the adults while the kids dart outside to see their shoes. He stays in costume for the rest of the party, and the kids take turns listening to his stories and having pictures taken with him.

The party is tonight, and the kids can't wait!  Rumor has it my ex-husband might be getting a mighty big twig in his shoes ;) my SIL isn't pleased with him, and she's hosting this year! LOL

Yes the kids got quarters and chocolate. Unfortunately the bank was out of gold dollar coins. We were supposed to have a St. Nicholas day party but the weather did not permit it. My dd packed the Veggie Tales St. Nick show and our book about St. Nicholas to take to Grandma and Grandpa's tonight. :)

Whoa - your kids get real gold coins? LOL That's awesome. I never even thought about that before, but I like the idea!

Sorry to hear your party was canceled, hope she has fun at the grandparents!

We usually get them each a golden dollar coin from the bank. I don't think they are actually made of gold. ;) The bank was out yesterday so I had to use quarters. I also give them candy. Some times chocolate coins, but I gave them Chocolate Santas instead. I actually have a bunch of little stockings stuffed for the party but we are going to do it next Friday instead. It is for our family co-op and we are doing Christmas around the world as a theme. I chose Germany and St. Nicholas. :)

My dc each got a Playmobil figure (they still play with Playmobil the month of December even now that they are older) and a red Christmas shirt.

We read a book about St. Nicholas and several gingerbread doll/baby/cowboy books as St. Nicholas loved gingerbread. We will be decorating gingerbread cookies this afternoon.

My dc each got a Playmobil figure (they still play with Playmobil the month of December even now that they are older) and a red Christmas shirt.

We read a book about St. Nicholas and several gingerbread doll/baby/cowboy books as St. Nicholas loved gingerbread. We will be decorating gingerbread cookies this afternoon.

We do a Christmas playmobil set here too.  The one year I thought DD might be getting too old was a bad scene for me.  Oops.  We also do chocolate candy, a Christmas themed book, a Christmas puzzle. (I got 1k piece one this year.  Eek!  We've never done one that big.)

Each child received a small Lego set, Lego minifigure, and candy. The only girl also got a Hello Kitty figure and a Playmobil figure. The 2 yo got a Playmobil figure and a Matchbox set and candy. I also bought them the Lego Star Wars Advent Calendar since it actually matched up with Advent this year.

Enjoy the day! We're planning next for Christmas and Epiphany.