Menu

Anyone else watching The Sound of Music?

Seasider

We knew we were in for it when we saw the fake woods, oh my.  We didn't realize it was going to be a live PLAY, so we thought it was actually going to be a movie, a real decent, proper modern production.  Instead it's this play with mics peeking through and props and fake backgrounds and horrible light and...  Some of it was cute, like the storm scene with the bed.  Camera angles were constantly nasty.  Did it make anybody else thing of the bachelor shows the way it was shot?  Oh my.  And Rolf's knees!!  How old WAS that boy?  And the roll down the hill scene in the fake woods, mercy.  

Nice attempt, but we had hoped it would actually be something better, something worth watching again.  It was sort of odd.  Would you actually watch it again?  Buy on dvd?  Just didn't have the quality to take it up to permanence, which was disappointing because a fresh take on a story IS fun.  

Audra McDonald, wow, totally loved her in it.  

Yabbut the sound you hear in the movie was not live; it was done in a sound studio, multiple times until it was perfect, mixed and messed with until it was even more perfect. :-)

I've been to musicals in many cities and towns. I've never heard live singing that bad.

Would you actually watch it again?  Buy on dvd?   

NO!

I'm watching right now.  It's not stellar, but it is amusing.   I missed the gazebo in "16 going on 17."  I'm happy my FAVORITE song, the yodeling song, is in it, but I miss the puppets.

I'm not a fan of Maria's costumes.

We actually all commented on the gazebo here! We missed it as well.

ETA: I meant to add that both dds asked if we could watch the dvd this weekend. We do own that and watch it at least once every year.

In glad dd and I watched it, and watched it all the way through. Though I did not think CU was right for the role, I did think it must have been sort of a dream come true for a girl who grew up probably watching the JA film version every year like many of us did (still do!).

Once I realized it was scripted differently from the movie, I took the differences in stride. I like the way this version ended, with the reverend mother's admonition to "lift their eyes to the hills, from whence cometh their help." I like the way they let Maria's knowledge of the mountain be mentioned at the end, it makes the feat of crossing the Alps seem more doable. Now I am curious and want to pull out the real story and look at the map of their route.

As for Captain Von Trapp, well, I think Christopher Plummer came off much more manly and Captainish in the film.

I will not be spending my money on this DVD.

Rolf 17 going on 36 - lol!

Once I realized it was scripted differently from the movie, I took the differences in stride. I like the way this version ended, with the reverend mother's admonition to "lift their eyes to the hills, from whence cometh their help." I like the way they let Maria's knowledge of the mountain be mentioned at the end, it makes the feat of crossing the Alps seem more doable. Now I am curious and want to pull out the real story and look at the map of their route.

I haven't watched the end yet, as Elementary came on and I had to watch.  SoM is recorded though.  We've been to the mountains they were supposed to have crossed in the movie (a tour guide pointed it out to a tour group near us) and I thought, there is no WAY they got over that mountain.  

BTW, IRL, they left Austria for a concert in  Norway, and from there went to the US for a concert in 1939 and applied to stay.  They never had to cross any mountains on foot.  

I haven't watched the end yet, as Elementary came on and I had to watch. SoM is recorded though. We've been to the mountains they were supposed to have crossed in the movie (a tour guide pointed it out to a tour group near us) and I thought, there is no WAY they got over that mountain.

BTW, IRL, they left Austria for a concert in Norway, and from there went to the US for a concert in 1939 and applied to stay. They never had to cross any mountains on foot.

Actually, they took a train to Italy. Georg was an Italian an citizen because the town he was born in was annexed to Italy in 1920. From there an American booking agent brought them to the US.

Just started on the west coast.  Black nuns in the 1940s?  In Nazi Germany in particular?  Yeah, that is not at all accurate.

Well, it's as accurate as singing and dancing your way through any historical event. :laugh:  I loved Audra McDonald, and the abbey scenes in general. (also the transition from the house to the abbey was pretty cool) Overall I thought they did an impressive job with the sets (although you can't really replicate the Alps, lol)

I can appreciate the difficulty of trying to stage a LIVE television performance of a stage play. Hadn't been done in over 50 years, as they mentioned at the beginning, and THAT performance was (coincidentally) Julie Andrews in Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella in 1957. (She was on Broadway in My Fair Lady at the time)

I truly enjoyed it, in spite of the acting not being up to the movie standard. I wondered if Julie Andrews was watching it live.

I thought the baroness was unexpectedly appealing! I felt bad for her. Heh.

Edit to add: I thought Rolf looked about 40 years old, and it was EXTREMELY distracting to see him in shorts! He looked ridiculous!

I haven't watched the end yet, as Elementary came on and I had to watch.  SoM is recorded though.  We've been to the mountains they were supposed to have crossed in the movie (a tour guide pointed it out to a tour group near us) and I thought, there is no WAY they got over that mountain.  

BTW, IRL, they left Austria for a concert in  Norway, and from there went to the US for a concert in 1939 and applied to stay.  They never had to cross any mountains on foot.  

Actually, they took a train to Italy. Georg was an Italian an citizen because the town he was born in was annexed to Italy in 1920. From there an American booking agent brought them to the US.

Well, now.... I'm having an Anne Shirley moment. This just takes all romance right out of it.

Not really, I'm sure the true account is actually dramatic just the way it actually happened. But suddenly the words "Climb Every Mountain" have a different ring about them. Might just have to scrub my brain this evening with a viewing of the good old romantic JA version.

For a live performance, I liked it.   I've always been prejudiced against the Captain and Mother Abbess in the JA movie version because their singing voices were dubbed.   The fact that everyone in this version actually SANG their own songs upped the value for me.

Loved the Mother Abbess and Frau Schraeder in this version.   "Climb Ev'ry Mountain" was awesome.....butI missed "Eidelweiss" while I was putting DD to bed. :(   I would re-watch it just to see them sing "Eidelweiss."

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sound_of_Music_(film):

• Christopher Plummer as Captain Georg von Trapp, a veteran Austrian navy captain whose wife died, leaving behind their seven children. He applies his military background in raising them according to strict naval discipline, but his attitude to the children and Maria softens considerably after she reintroduces music in the family. Plummer's singing voice was dubbed by Bill Lee.
  • Peggy Wood as Mother Abbess, the head of Nonnberg Abbey, who convinces Maria to leave there and explore life as a governess for a while. When she returns, she has Maria explain why she left and realizes she is in love, and convinces her to return and face her problems, to see what might come of this love. Peggy Wood was nominated for both the Academy Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role and the Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress—Motion Picture of 1965. for her performance. Her singing voice was dubbed by Margery McKay.

I read that that happened earlier for a tour, and they came back to Austria, then decided to leave after their Norway tour.  I wish I could remember where I read it.  Can you tell me where you got this info?  I'd like to read it.  They are a strangely fascinating family.  Maria was not all sunshine and rainbows from what I read.

I enjoyed it. I didn't think it was great, but I still enjoyed it. The singing was better than the acting. It was live. With the exception of Audra MacDonald, I don't think any of them are used to "no do overs". 

So many folks on FB are referring to the Julie Andrews movie as "the original", when in fact the movie was an adaptation of the play, which had been around for several years before the movie came out. 

I'm enjoying this production, for the most part. It is hard to not make comparisons, though. 

Thank you! Like Like Like (I'm out of likes). Someone got annoyed when I pointed that out on facebook last night. She was stepping into Mary Martin's role, not Julie Andrews' (though Martin wasn't the only one to play it, just the most famous.)

The mis-match was pretty distracting, honestly; I appreciate the attempt to be more inclusive, but this just didn't work at all. (The reverent mother's singing did go a long way to make up for the switch, but - it was difficult.)

I give the whole cast and crew props for trying. They did try, really hard.

It's not really important, but it's Reverend Mother. It's a term for the head honcho nun, even though she's not actually a reverend.

I don't know why this would be compared to the movie. This was done as a live theatre production. Live theatre and movie staging are completely different. I didn't watch it. I think watching live theatre on t.v. would not be enjoyable. Theatre presentation is just different than a filmed musical. I like both live theatre and film, but they are different.

There was at least one tony award winner in the cast. I think everyone but Carry Underwood had stage experience. However, television advertisers aren't going to pay for time supporting a cast of tony award winners that the general t.v. watching public is unfamiliar with. Carrie Underwood is why this could be shown on t.v. at all.

I read that that happened earlier for a tour, and they came back to Austria, then decided to leave after their Norway tour.  I wish I could remember where I read it.  Can you tell me where you got this info?  I'd like to read it.  They are a strangely fascinating family.  Maria was not all sunshine and rainbows from what I read.

Initially leaving Austria was a train to Italy.  When WWII broke out they were no longer safe in Italy, since Italy was aligned with the Nazis.  They went to London and then to the US.  After their visas were up in the US, they went on a concert tour in Scandinavia.  They briefly visited Saltzburg at some point during this time, but did not live there, and it's unclear if the Nazis were aware of their presence officially.  Then they went back to the US more permanently and eventually settled down in Vermont.

I'm pretty sure Maria writes about this in her biography, though I can't remember for sure, but quick googling here are some sources:

http://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/2005/winter/von-trapps.html

http://www.parade.com/238419/erinhill/what-happened-to-the-real-von-trapp-family/

I know the Encyclopedia Britannica that I used as a kit concurs with this account too.

Initially leaving Austria was a train to Italy.  When WWII broke out they were no longer safe in Italy, since Italy was aligned with the Nazis.  They went to London and then to the US.  After their visas were up in the US, they went on a concert tour in Scandinavia.  They briefly visited Saltzburg at some point during this time, but did not live there, and it's unclear if the Nazis were aware of their presence officially.  Then they went back to the US more permanently and eventually settled down in Vermont.

I'm pretty sure Maria writes about this in her biography, though I can't remember for sure, but quick googling here are some sources:

http://www.parade.com/238419/erinhill/what-happened-to-the-real-von-trapp-family/

I know the Encyclopedia Britannica that I used as a kit concurs with this account too.

This book is an incredible read.  Written by Maria herself, that family endured so much.

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Trapp-Family-Singers-ebook/dp/B004MMEIV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386360029&sr=8-1&keywords=the+story+of+the+van+trapp+family+singers

There are at least two books. The story is quite a bit different from the movie.

_Maria_

http://www.amazon.com/Maria-Von-Trapp/dp/0380007835

and _The Story of the Trapp Family Singers_

I didn't watch it. I was scared, having adored the Julie Andrews version forever. DS went through a Sound of Music phase last year and we visited their lodge. My mom read Maria's autobiography at the time and the Italy story is what she told me.

It sounds like the von Trapp family weren't fans of having Carrie Underwood from the beginning: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-von-trapp-family-sound-of-music-carrie-underwood-20131206,0,54673.story#axzz2mjXotGFt

I'm probably in the minority here but that vampire dude is annoying me more than Carrie.

I like her singing but not her acting, but he's bothering me doing both.

The woman playing Mother Superior is better than all of them.

Yes, Audra McDonald stole the show when she sang, "Climb Every Mountain".

I didn't watch it. I was scared, having adored the Julie Andrews version forever. DS went through a Sound of Music phase last year and we visited their lodge. My mom read Maria's autobiography at the time and the Italy story is what she told me.

It sounds like the von Trapp family weren't fans of having Carrie Underwood from the beginning: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-von-trapp-family-sound-of-music-carrie-underwood-20131206,0,54673.story#axzz2mjXotGFt

Anne Hathaway's acting would have definitely been better, but I don't think I could have listened to her sing for three hours.

Well, it's as accurate as singing and dancing your way through any historical event. :laugh:  I loved Audra McDonald, and the abbey scenes in general. (also the transition from the house to the abbey was pretty cool) Overall I thought they did an impressive job with the sets (although you can't really replicate the Alps, lol)

I can appreciate the difficulty of trying to stage a LIVE television performance of a stage play. Hadn't been done in over 50 years, as they mentioned at the beginning, and THAT performance was (coincidentally) Julie Andrews in Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella in 1957. (She was on Broadway in My Fair Lady at the time)

I truly enjoyed it, in spite of the acting not being up to the movie standard. I wondered if Julie Andrews was watching it live.

I thought the baroness was unexpectedly appealing! I felt bad for her. Heh.

Edit to add: I thought Rolf looked about 40 years old, and it was EXTREMELY distracting to see him in shorts! He looked ridiculous!

We laughed about Rolf as well.  He was really miscast as a clearly 30ish adult man singing about being 17 going on 18. Ha ha ha. 

In glad dd and I watched it, and watched it all the way through. Though I did not think CU was right for the role, I did think it must have been sort of a dream come true for a girl who grew up probably watching the JA film version every year like many of us did (still do!).

As for Captain Von Trapp, well, I think Christopher Plummer came off much more manly and Captainish in the film.

I will not be spending my money on this DVD.

Rolf 17 going on 36 - lol!

Totally NOT impressed with the man playing Captain Von Trapp.  He was a good singer, but he was just too old and wrong for Carrie Underwood, who I also thought was a bit miscast. 

And yeah, Rolf going on 36...LOL.  So true.  And so silly.  I'm sure they could have found a singing teen or man in his early 20's who still looked like a teen.

Even the kids were oddly aged. 

I'm still trying to figure out how old the actor is who played Rolf last night. I keep reading that he is a senior at Carnegie Mellon. I realize that could leave his age wide open .....

That's my alma matter!  I don't remember any older students in the drama department when I went - they were all the regular college age (of course I wasn't in the drama department, so I could be wrong, but I did have friends there).  Maybe he's just exceptionally hairy?

I didn't realize that Max was played by a CMU alumni too!  Neat!

Just to add this in:

Our PBS station is broadcasting a new program:  "Climbed Every Mountain"

The true story behind the famous von Trapp family featured in the blockbuster 1965 movie The Sound of Music. Nicholas Hammond, who played Friedrich in the movie, hosts.

It seems to be a new program, broadcast multiple times this week, FYI.

I must still be tired.  I read "muppets" and not puppets and thought that I WOULD like to see a Muppet version.

Miss Piggy as Maria.

HAHAHA!

I'm watching right now.  It's not stellar, but it is amusing.   I missed the gazebo in "16 going on 17."  I'm happy my FAVORITE song, the yodeling song, is in it, but I miss the puppets.

I'm not a fan of Maria's costumes.

Just to add this in:

Our PBS station is broadcasting a new program:  "Climbed Every Mountain"

The true story behind the famous von Trapp family featured in the blockbuster 1965 movie The Sound of Music. Nicholas Hammond, who played Friedrich in the movie, hosts.

It seems to be a new program, broadcast multiple times this week, FYI.

Unfortunately I can't find it in our PBS listings.  :(

We finally watched it Saturday night.  I can't say I was all that impressed, even knowing it was the stage version.  I kept comparing it to the movie and complaining about many of the things pp.  What really got me was when Frau Shraeder was in pants towards the end.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but women didn't wear pants in public - and probably not in private either - in that era did they?

We finally watched it Saturday night.  I can't say I was all that impressed, even knowing it was the stage version.  I kept comparing it to the movie and complaining about many of the things pp.  What really got me was when Frau Shraeder was in pants towards the end.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but women didn't wear pants in public - and probably not in private either - in that era did they?

Harem style pants were quite popular in Europe (and parts of the US) in the 1910s.  So it would not surprise me if some forms of pants were acceptable by 1938 in Austria.  But most likely not the norm.

I must still be tired.  I read "muppets" and not puppets and thought that I WOULD like to see a Muppet version.

Miss Piggy as Maria.

HAHAHA!

That would be excellent! :lol: Alas, I think this will have to do!

I think they did, actually. This blog post has some more info, but my sense is that it was accepted among certain sets, and Frau Shraeder does seem the type to me. 

http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2013/10/02/when-did-women-begin-wearing-pants/