Menu

Anyone else watching The Sound of Music?

Seasider

Yes, this is the stage version which is quite different from the movie. My dd was Sister Sophia in the stage version last April. We got to see a little bit tonight while we were at our cleaning job, but we don't have cable here at home. It looked like it was going well in the part we saw.

Lighting is really wierd, like they blew a few bulbs. Orchestral background is waaaay too loud. Can't say I envy anyone trying sing Dame Julie's role.

Aaaaaaggghhh! Up the mic levels! Kid dialog is drowned right out.

Whew, I thought it was just me! My ears get blocked when my allergies flare up.

Dd and I are planning on watching it and making a night of it. We're on the west coast, so the start time is over an hour away (8 Pacific time). So, it's not really live for us. Dh took off and we probably won't see him until it's over. (He's not a fan of musicals.) I think we'll enjoy it. I'm not expecting greatness, but I hope it's not painful to watch. 

All the East Coasters are posting all kinds of comments on facebook and have piqued my interest - I didn't even know it was happening - but NBC won't let me see it streaming online until 8 pm pacific. BOO! Internet police! I don't see the point of this - Carrie Underwood is no Julie Andrews, that's all I'm saying.

I'm loving the singing, too.

It seems like they found ways to improve on the movie.

(I've only seen one stage version of it.)

Julie's S of M is one of my favorite movies--this one echoes that well.

:)

ETA:  I think I've enjoyed Andra McD's character (Mother Superior) the best.

She was the caring nurse in Emma Thompson's "Wit".

So many folks on FB are referring to the Julie Andrews movie as "the original", when in fact the movie was an adaptation of the play, which had been around for several years before the movie came out. 

I'm enjoying this production, for the most part. It is hard to not make comparisons, though. 

I'm probably in the minority here but that vampire dude is annoying me more than Carrie.

I like her singing but not her acting, but he's bothering me doing both.

The woman playing Mother Superior is better than all of them.

Oh, I'm not watching for his acting or singing. I'm far too shallow for that. Lol

Vibrato. They went all wonky for a bit in the church there.

I don't know music terms well so forgive me. I think they were pushing it too hard and the voices were out of sync. I listened to the movie soundtrack and the vibrato's there, but softer and more pleasant.

If it was intentional, ew. No one looks good in that all-over shade of orange.

Oompa Loompas.

There was also the ending scene in Raiders in which the Nazis turned orange before their heads exploded. I don't remember explosions in Sound of Music, but it is TV in 2013, and they haven't hauled themselves over the Alps yet, so there's still time for a big finish. Robots. I bet Optimus Prime busts out any sec now.

OK you guys. Your reviews are cracking me up!

We still have 15 minutes until it STARTS on the west side of the nation here. Now I'll be looking for a vampire, bad acting, wonky nuns, and orange people. Actually, I'm really looking forward to it now. Dd is clueless and thinks it's still going to be "live" for us.

We just finished watching it.  I didn't think it was that bad. I knew going into it that it was not going to be on the same level as the movie so  I wasn't disappointed. The acting was bad but I thought the singing was pretty good.  The guy who played VonTrapp bothered me more than Carrie Underwood.

So many folks on FB are referring to the Julie Andrews movie as "the original", when in fact the movie was an adaptation of the play, which had been around for several years before the movie came out. 

Exactly.

I saw the stage production just once (with Richard Chamberlain as the Captain. ::swoon::), and the homeschool choir my dds were in long ago did it, as well...but I just don't remember it enough to compare either of them to this production. I just know that the stage production is, indeed, the "original," not the movie.

I'm just annoyed by the commercials. I only saw the last, oh, 15 minutes, and there were two commercial breaks in that amount of time. What??!!

I don't know music terms well so forgive me. I think they were pushing it too hard and the voices were out of sync. I listened to the movie soundtrack and the vibrato's there, but softer and more pleasant.

Yabbut the sound you hear in the movie was not live; it was done in a sound studio, multiple times until it was perfect, mixed and messed with until it was even more perfect. :-)

Correction - I mean Austria, not yet Nazi Germany.  But still, not a lot of racial diversity there.

The mis-match was pretty distracting, honestly; I appreciate the attempt to be more inclusive, but this just didn't work at all. (The reverent mother's singing did go a long way to make up for the switch, but - it was difficult.)

I give the whole cast and crew props for trying. They did try, really hard.

Semi-dreadful thing.  Actor playing the Captain was a block of wood with his bad acting.  DD and I thought his face looked carved from plastic.  DD then decided that he looks like a middle-aged Ken doll.  Carrie Underwood can sing, but cannot act.  The children sounded like coached semi-pros instead of real children.  Uncle Max lacked all the endearing, bumbling self-centered character, retaining only a cynical self-centeredness.  Frau Schraeder (demoted from being a Baroness) was referenced as a CEO?!?!  Guess what, though?  She was the best actor in the entire production, AND had the best voice.  That new song, sung by her, Max, and the Captain, showcased her effortless, natural singing that was so high quality.  DD and I ended by rating her voice higher than that of the Abbess (who sounded forced, if one is honest) (although we discussed buying the CD in order to have her "Climb Every Mountain" rendition).  Don't start me on the costumes!  Not at all characteristic of the era.  The convent choir's singing was wrong style for church music; it was stage-y, showy. 

Total dud, in other words.