Menu

Menu help for guest with allergies

Bootsie

I invited a colleague and his wife to dinner next week.  After accepting the invitation, they sent me this list of food allergies:

Allergic to: beef and other ruminants such as deer, buffalo, elk, etc, wheat, ALL citrus, walnuts, pecans, peanuts, cashews, peas, white type potatoes, raw carrots but cooked are good.  Of course I read a lot of labels and cook from scratch a lot.   Starches of potatoes and peas, nut oils, beef broth, citrus acid and citric that is often derived from citrus are all hidden ingredients.

Chicken, lamb, pork, turkey, duck are great.  Most green veggies are perfect.  Sweet Potatoes, onions, cooked carrots, etc.  I am good with dairy. And maybe most important chocolate as long as there is no wheat or nuts with that.

This rules out all of my "go to" company dinner menus.  Does anyone have a great menu/recipe suggestion.  (I really don't like trying new things out on dinner guests--but I don't have time to do a trial run of recipes before they come over.)  I prefer to have casserole-type dishes, or something else that doesn't require last-minute prep when I have company so that I can visit with them rather than cook.  Also, I have other commitments the day they are coming over, so I can't do a lot of last-minute prep.

I would probably cook more than one entrée and a couple of side dishes. I would consult the person to check for brands, but basically I'd try to offer 2 "safe" things and let that person decide if those things are actually safe. Those things would be a roasted chicken and a steamed vegetable (perhaps straight from a frozen bag so very limited prep in my kitchen. I would plan to keep these in a separate area from other food and I would ask the person if there is a prepared food they are safe with--something with no prep by you that you can pick up at the grocery.

Before the meal I would find a way to discuss privately with the guest how I prepared the foods, and how I minimized the possibility of contamination. I would make it clear that they can decline the food. Since I have family members with allergies and I let people know that due to our own allergies I fully understand their declining to eat my food, I think I've mostly had good luck with people not feeling compelled to eat because "I went to some trouble". I like to be a good welcoming host. I understand if people won't eat, but I feel better providing options.

I would clarify what "allergy" means to him. Is the reaction potentially life-threatening? Causing severe discomfort? Or annoying-but-manageable? Is potential cross-contamination a problem?

Basically - is it possible for you to safely prepare food for him in your existing kitchen?

If I didn't feel I could safely cook for him, I'd politely let him know that. "I'm sorry, but I regularly bake using wheat flour, and can't promise that my kitchen is free of potential cross-contamination." and maybe offer to meet for dinner at a restaurant of their choice instead.

If I did feel it would be ok as long as I avoided those specific ingredients, I agree with everyone else. I'd do roasted chicken and veggies, and ask about any specific veggies I'd be including, as well as any seasonings (safest to stick to just spices, and not seasoning mixes, which often have filler of some sort). Personally, I've cooked duck before and might do that if I wanted to be impressive, but chicken is much easier and more foolproof.

Assuming no threat of anaphylaxis (that's a whole 'nother ball game):

Cheese and fruit plate. Hard cheese cubes, with toothpicks... finding GF crackers that jive with the other requirements might be a job. If you have a GF bakery in town, you might be able to get a baguette or focaccia.

Roasted chicken or turkey breast, gussy up the sauce (use white wine if that's OK instead of a little extra broth) and reduce. Roasted veggies. Mashed sweet potatoes.

High quality vanilla ice cream, maybe with some fruit topping, for dessert. Whole Foods in town? Here's the ingredient list for their house vanilla:

Ingredients:  

PASTEURIZED MILK, PASTEURIZED CREAM, CANE SUGAR, EGG YOLKS, CAROB BEAN GUM, VANILLA EXTRACT.

Allergen Info: 

CONTAINS MILK AND EGG INGREDIENTS. PRODUCED IN A FACILITY THAT PROCESSES PEANUTS, TREE NUTS, WHEAT AND SOY.

I would do a baked chicken roast, steamed carrots and a salad. No major production and easy.

Just put melted butter on the chicken and bake.

This.  Except I would roast the carrots in the oven when the chicken is roasting.  Make sure salad dressing is on the side- and I would ask the guests to bring a salad dressing they like.

For dessert... hmm.. maybe some dark chocolate bark with dried fruit in it.  Simple but indulgent and delicious.  Maybe a flourless chocolate cake, chocolate pudding or a chocolate mousse?  All easy and can be made ahead.

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback!  I will probably do chicken--we are so tired of turkey at our house, I was hoping to come up with something a bit more decadent.  Perhaps a chocolate mouse with real whipped cream will make things a bit more special.

I agree on a chicken.  Chop up some sweet poatoes, carrots, and onions and put in the bottom of your roasting pan.  Stick the chicken on top and roast.  The veggies will be coated in the chicken juices and super yummy.  And it's all in one pan.  To serve, remove and chop up the chicken and put the veggies in a big serving bowl.  A salad on the side is perfect.  

For dessert, how about a flourless chocolate cake?  They're pretty easy, and you can top with whipped cream.

If you want to do a casserole, there are lots of rice/chicken/broccoli type casseroles that you could make.  Just read the labels on the broth you pick (costco organic chicken stock I think would be fine).

I'm surprised by all the people who are saying they wouldn't do it or would worry about cross-contamination.  It wouldn't even cross my mind, because I would assume that this grown adult would not accept a dinner invitation to someone's house if they had any concerns.  Or, they would accept the invitation to dinner for the social aspect, but bring their own meal in a sealed container.  Either way, if the guest didn't mention specific concerns, I wouldn't decide to play food police for them.