Menu

If you give your mail carrier a gift, how much do you spend?

ILiveInFlipFlops

So, in my quick Google research, it looks like they cannot accept any form of cash, and gifts must have a value of less than $20, unless they are to be shared by the whole branch. Gift cards - it's a little wishy-washy...one says no gift cards, the other says no gift cards that can be exchanged for cash. Hmmm, I will have to think about this one.

I bake cookies for our mail carrier. I tried to give a gift card the first year in our house, but he kindly left me a note saying that he couldn't accept monetary gifts. From then on I've been baking him cookies, which he greatly appreciates.

We know what time of day he delivers the mail so I set one of the kids in front of the window watching for him, then we run out and give him the cookies. We do the same thing with our trash collectors except I make two batches of cookies for those guys so they can share.

My husband is a mail carrier. He gets a wide variety of gifts, from gift cards, to cash, to candy, to homemade treats. He appreciates them all. The postmaster here is not a stickler about the gift rule, so the mail carriers can keep what they get. It's good for morale.

We now just leave a chocolate Santa and a $20 for our carrier (but we tip high since DH is a mail carrier, and we leave it out only when we see him coming down the street). If you want it to go to a specific carrier, put their name on it, because during the holidays mail volume increases and sometimes other people will help with a route. If you know the name of the carrier, just write something like "To Mailman Bob" or whatever. The subs will be sure it gets to the right person.

It's nice of you to think of tipping. It is their job to deliver mail, but it can often be a challenging and stressful job, especially around December. My DH says it's nice to feel appreciated, but not expected.