Menu

library policy?

athomeontheprairie

Does your library allow you to check out your children's books on their card, without the child at the counter?

we are currently using a different library then the one we normally go to. there's a line at librarians desk when we went to check out. 3 of 4 of us had a card. 1 child did not. while filling out the library card application, The Children's Librarian came up and told us it was time for story time. my girls went with her.

the man working the counter, would not give me my daughters library card, or allow me to check out my other daughters books on her card. I had already reached the max on my card, otherwise I would have just put them on mine.

Having gone to a different library for so long, maybe this is common? I was really caught off guard when they wouldn't give me my kids card. I'm still annoyed that I had to wait 45 minutes for my other daughter check out her books.

is this a common policy at your library?

I'm sure my library would allow me to use my kids' cards -- I often pick up stuff that's been on hold.

On the other hand, y'all were staying for the storytime anyhoo, right?  And maybe they had some sort of handing-over-the-new-card ceremony to do?

Our library will not give out a library card to a child without the child being present. Even though the parent has to show an ID and prove residency the card for a minor child will only be given out with the child being there. Perhaps the librarian at the desk did not see your child before story time?

As far as check outs go, I sometimes use my children's cards but I use the self check out. We are allowed 6 videos/games on each card so if I have reached the limit on my card I will use the cards of my two younger children (since I keep them on my purse).

Ours allows it and I’d be sunk if they didn’t. There is a 50 book per card limit and I routinely max out mine and use the boys’ cards, sometimes with them there but often when they are not. I use self-checkout usually but the librarians will let me do it when they check out also. Sometimes if I put a book on hold on one card but then it’s maxed out I can take it over to them and ask them to check it out on another card and override the hold. They will do it since they know it’s all the same family. Sometimes it all seems a little silly as I’m obviously just finding a way around the maximum limit but they know I’m doing it and don’t seem to care. 

I can use my own card or one of my children's cards.  I carry two of my kidlet's cards in my purse and when my card is full, I pull those out and use whichever one I grab first.  I've checked out in this manner at the children's checkout desk, at the main library's checkout desk and at the self-kiosk.  

It may be just because they see us every week (or maybe two times a week in the summer) that it's a non-issue in our case.  I know all the librarians and they know all my kids.  

We're not 'allowed' to use our child's card....but no one monitors the self-checkout kiosk. So, it becomes a non-issue. :blush:

I do that.

I use my kids' cards as much as possible because fines on their cards are $.15 a day and on adult cards they are $.30 a day. When their cards are full (50 item limit), then I start putting stuff on my card.

I never even bring my card.  I just tell them who I am and they enter it in the computer.  No one else in the family even has a card - they all check things out on mine and everyone in the family picks up things on hold for anyone else in the family.  And they take our word for it.  No one has ever asked for ID.

I never heard of different late fees based on age.  

There is no self-checkout

Does your library allow you to check out your children's books on their card, without the child at the counter?

we are currently using a different library then the one we normally go to. there's a line at librarians desk when we went to check out. 3 of 4 of us had a card. 1 child did not. while filling out the library card application, The Children's Librarian came up and told us it was time for story time. my girls went with her.

the man working the counter, would not give me my daughters library card, or allow me to check out my other daughters books on her card. I had already reached the max on my card, otherwise I would have just put them on mine.

Having gone to a different library for so long, maybe this is common? I was really caught off guard when they wouldn't give me my kids card. I'm still annoyed that I had to wait 45 minutes for my other daughter check out her books.

is this a common policy at your library?

I kept all of my family's cards in my wallet, and I would just grab one when it was time to check out. And I would sometimes use multiple cards in one check-out session because there is a limit to how many videos can be on a card at a time. I never had a problem.

Now, though, we have self-checkout stations, where we just scan the card and it automatically checks out the items, so I don't deal with personnel anymore. 

We have a self-check kiosk, so it is a non-issue. Officially, though, there is a form that has to be filled out and signed by the cardholder allowing others to use their card. My husband and I keep meaning to (but forgetting) to fill this out so we can pick up each other's holds at the drive through.

Different libraries are going to have different policies.

We have one card and the whole family uses it. I refuse to get more cards because it will only lead to more books being out and more to lose track of and more fines. Having a limit is good for us, lol.

I should add that my dh is a librarian at an academic library so I have other libraries at my disposal. I am not really limited by what I can get at the public library. But at dh's library we can keep books until someone else wants them. There are some I've had out for 10 years and just haven't bothered to return.

Machine.

:lol:

Amazingly, our library has just recently stopped using the card catalog.

I LOVED the card catalog when I was in school.

I kind of miss them and their little index cards organized by title, author, or subject. They had this fabulous smell when you opened the drawer kind of like how old books smell. 

Obviously I have card catalog issues!  :blushing:

We have self-checkouts so not only do I check out my kids' books with their cards (they often aren't with me when I pick up their holds) but also I do the same thing with another relative's card.  I pick up their holds, deliver, and return their books.

I have no idea what the library's official policy is.  But I've paid fines on the relative's account, without the card being present (I type in the card number on the keypad) and the library staff never batted an eye.  And it should be obvious to them when I pay the fines, because the name on the account is clearly male -- and it's not a name I've EVER seen used for a woman -- and I'm female.

I have worked at libraries where if the child's card was being used, the child had to be present. This was simply due to families who would apply for cards for their infants or dummy cards for non-existent children and then check out videos and other materials that they would never return. Yes, for these libraries it was enough of a problem that they had to do this. I realize than this not the case for every library, but perhaps the OP's library has had similar problems. Also, the last library I works for did not have self-check out machines until 2012 and they were on loan from another system.

I do that.

I use my kids' cards as much as possible because fines on their cards are $.15 a day and on adult cards they are $.30 a day. When their cards are full (50 item limit), then I start putting stuff on my card.

Our fines differ based on the book. If a book is categorized as a children's book then the fine is lower. It doesn't matter who checked it out.

I don't know if my library has a policy that one must be present to use the card. Even though it is a pain I could see why some libraries would enforce such a policy.

My library allows me to use the children's cards as I wish, no questions asked. We also have no check-out limits on books (limit of 7 DVDs at one time though), and we have a drive-thru which is where I check out most of our materials. Our library is located in a downtown area with limited parking, so the drive-thru is a wonderful option. I can log into our accounts at home, request whatever I'd like, and they send me a text when the materials are ready to be picked up!

I never even present my card. They see me, smile, and hand me the books. And then say, "Oh, here, your son has this in too."

We used to have a library like this. They even went so far as to put brand new books on hold for us because it looked like something we'd be interested in. Then we moved.

I LOVED the card catalog when I was in school.

I kind of miss them and their little index cards organized by title, author, or subject. They had this fabulous smell when you opened the drawer kind of like how old books smell.

Obviously I have card catalog issues! :blushing:

And you could browse through the files, just picking a drawer at random and seeing what surprises were in store. Our library's computer catalog won't let you just browse the subjects. Plus the subject designations are so specific that usually only one book will pop up under the heading.

Do they expect you as the parent to be financially responsible for any fines and lost or damaged books? Then they should let you use the card unless they have a different fine structure for kids' cards. (It might make more sense to have a different fine structure for kids' BOOKS, not cards, but that's another issue.)

Yes, ours allows it. Ds doesn't even have to be with me, nor do I have to have his card. I could also use dh's card. Though I've never done it, I would just have to present his card, and I think his ID. This was done originally to allow caregivers to pick up books for people, but now they let anyone use another person's card as long as they show ID.

Sometimes I'll return a book I haven't finished but I've run out of renewals on my card. They don't allow you to return a book and immediately check it out again once you max out on renewals. However, I can turn around and check it out on ds' card. They allow this as long as someone doesn't have a hold on a book.

Absolutely we can.  I game the system by using the kids cards for different things.  Like, one card is the one we use for overdrive because then I never have to worry about it being blocked if I return something late.

Oh, good idea. Dh never uses his so maybe I should make his the ebook card. I hate going to check out an ebook only to be stopped by an overdue physical book.

I wish my library would allow cards to be linked. As it is my kids all have cards because they love the *idea* of having library cards, but I only use my card because I keep track of all our books using the online system, and its much easier with everything on one account.  It only works because they don't have a limit on books checked out though, we usually have over 100 items at a time.

we have a library system with a lot of branches.

if the child has down that I can pick things up that are on hold, then I can.  same goes for me - I have down my dd is authorized to pick things up for me, and she does if she gets there before I do.

I worked at our county library for the past five years.  If you had a card, you could use it, and it didn't matter whose name was on it. 

It seems very strange that you are supposed to trust them with your kid in storytime, but they can't trust you with her card.  Is there a way that you can add your name to her card so that this is not an issue?  Is there a space for "authorized users" or similar on the card application?  Does this mean you can't pick up books that she has on hold under her name unless she is with you?  This can't really be the intent of the board when passing whatever rule the clerk was trying to enforce.