Menu

The Great Advent Declutter/Cleaning Challenge: (resetting to the new) Week 1!!! Saturday!

MomOfOneFunOne

AMDG

DECEMBER 1-7

Welcome, welcome, welcome!  I hope everyone comes back and new folks join!  Especially now that it is actually ADVENT!

If you have been playing along, feel free to skip this part!  If you're brand new to The Challenge, here's the lowdown:

I really, really, wanted to engage in my own kind of Advent preparation that would involve a combined Prepare the Heart/Prepare the Home theme.  When I considered my home and the time I had in Advent, there wasn't enough time so I started The Great Advent D/C Challenge early. 

The idea is to do whatever works for you and come here to let us know what your goals and objectives are and have some company and support along the way.  Essentially, this is how I have tackled the job, though others have done differently:

Count up the number of areas to be decluttered and deep cleaned. 

Divide by the number of weeks to come up with one area to clean per week.

Divide the area into tasks per day that you're willing to wk that week (for me, 6: 5 for decluttering and one for the deep clean)

Assign the tasks to days so that they get done b/f the week is up.

I have managed to accomplish a lot this past couple of weeks!  I hate housekeeping chores, really just despise housekeeping, but dividing into manageable chunks (and having a pretty home) has made everything doable so far.  I did arrange for the living room/dining room/entry way to be the first so I would have a relatively easy space with a big pay off in an obvious part of the house and the kitchen last b/c it will be the most work.

So . . . on to this week . . .

It's the sewing room for me! My daughter has to help with this one so there will be two chores/day: one for me, one for my daughter.

Sunday -- Rest up from last week and in advance of the work to come!

Monday -- cull the awful pile on the sewing table; cull the awful pile on the floor of the craft closet and remove items to sewing table.

Tuesday -- cull and remove all craft items from shelves to sewing table x 2.

Wednesday -- all items from sewing table to craft closet or other appropriate space x 2.

Thursday -- cull/organize scraps and sewing items to pegboard; make more pegs.

Friday -- cull/organize printer area . . . whatever else I missed.

Saturday -- clean.

Phew!  This will be my toughest week yet!  I will have plenty to offer up and that's it's own good thing.  Looking forward to a tidy and functional sewing room!!!!!

What are YOU doing???

AMDG

Plansrme, this is your post from an old thread!  Keep us updated here!

I haven't even opened this thread before today but just wanted to chime in and say that just seeing the title every time I come to this forum has been inspiring.  I love to declutter, so I didn't need more than the suggestion that this is a good time of year to be thinking about purging and organizing.  Inspired just by the title, I have:

1.  Finally cleaned out my linen closet and realized that however many spare pillowcases a family of five needs, it is not 27.  I now have a massive pile of sheets and pillowcases ready in a basket, waiting for the next time that one of those charities calls to say, "We will have a truck in your neighborhood. . .."

2.  Taken a long, hard look at the pile of stained and torn towels I keep in my basement for---what???  and donated them to an animal shelter.  Folded and stacked neatly, they filled a good-sized laundry basket to overlowing.

3.  Purchased a mirror to go in the downstairs bathroom we remodeled nearly a year ago.  I have looked off and on, but I finally said on Sunday, "I am leaving this house and not returning until I find a mirror."  I found a cheap mirror in the second store I checked, and it is perfect--yea me! 

4.  Purged the book shelves again and donated them to a friend of a friend who sells used books to help pay her daughter's medical expenses.  My friend lives in my n'hood, so I can always just drop them on her porch, and she takes care of getting them to her friend.  Super easy.

5.  Found good homes for several items that I just thought were too nice to be thrown into a random charity giveaway basket where they might not be taken care of.  Our neighborhood has a Facebook page that is fabulous for that sort of thing--I have never not found good homes for things I want to give away.

6.  Cleaned my first floor front windows, inside and out. 

7.  Started painting my bedroom and decided that it needed more time than we could give it (some of the trim needs to be replaced, and the ceiling needs to be repaired and painted, all of which I can but do not have time to do), so I called in a professional we have used before.  He was at my house within the hour, and we are awaiting his estimate.

That's it for now.  I'm feeling very on top of things until I look at the calendar and realize that there are basically two weekends left before Christmas and that both of those will be nearly completely occupied by swim meets.  But hey, at least my linen closet is organized!

AMDG

Phew!!  I just can't believe how much I'm getting done!  Blessed be God forever!

Monday -- cull the awful pile on the sewing table; cull the awful pile on the floor of the craft closet and remove items to sewing table.

I'm done with my chore by my daughter still has her's to go.  I also moved all the books from that room to the library.

AND I've kept the laundry going (blech)!

What's going on with you guys?  Keep us posted!

Great idea! I've given myself two weeks and 6 rooms. This week is the living room (which is where the tree goes), the dining room, and the kitchen. I've got 25 tasks. I'm doing 5 per day, 5 days a week, beginning Tuesday and going through Saturday.

Tuesday:

1. Take laundry upstairs and put it away

2. Declutter the dining room table (and put Christmassy table cloth on)

3. Declutter areas around living room chairs

4. sort papers

5. Declutter items on top of living room stools

I'll check back in with Wednesday's list after I do Tuesday's.

AMDG

Ethel, have a grand day off and we'll see you Wednesday!  

My tasks for this week:

1. Clean out & organize the fridge~done

2. Sort through and clean off my clutter counter in the kitchen & on the piano

3. Deep clean living room in preparation for Christmas tree

4. Tidy small areas (sewing desk, computer desk, entryway, green chair, bedroom dresser top, Robbie's dresser)

5. Sort out and donate/throw out kitchen/living room/entryway items, and purchase a new garbage can

Adding these tasks to my normal housework routine this week should get me to a place where I am very happy with the main living area of my house.

Great idea! I've given myself two weeks and 6 rooms. This week is the living room (which is where the tree goes), the dining room, and the kitchen. I've got 25 tasks. I'm doing 5 per day, 5 days a week, beginning Tuesday and going through Saturday.

Tuesday:

1. Take laundry upstairs and put it away

2. Declutter the dining room table (and put Christmassy table cloth on)

3. Declutter areas around living room chairs

4. sort papers

5. Declutter items on top of living room stools

I'll check back in with Wednesday's list after I do Tuesday's.

AMDG

It's Tuesday, Ethel!  Get it done!

My tasks for this week:

4. Tidy small areas (sewing desk, computer desk, entryway, green chair, bedroom dresser top, Robbie's dresser)

5. Sort out and donate/throw out kitchen/living room/entryway items, and purchase a new garbage can

Adding these tasks to my normal housework routine this week should get me to a place where I am very happy with the main living area of my house.

AMDG

Very important! ^  And remember, divide and conquer multiplied by baby steps will keep you moving forward with decluttering/cleaning AND your normal routine.

You Can Do It!

I like plansrme's linen closet idea------so I will tackle that this week (sort into keep, donate, textile recycling).

Dd13's room is starting to make me twitch. We may have to work in there this week and next, around schoolwork and Nutcracker performances.

AMDG

Yeah, I'm with you on the daughter's room thing.  Hit that linen closet and enjoy a wonderful sense of accomplishment and order!

AMDG

It's Tuesday and I am definitely at the WoRsE bEfOrE iT gEtS bEtTeR Phase.  Egads!

Today's chore, for both my daugher and me, is to get e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g off the shelves in the craft closet, cull, remove to the sewing table.  

At that point, everything should be on the table and ready to be moved into an organized home.  I would really like to jump ahead today and get a head start on Wednesday but it's cooking day and that usually keeps me pretty busy.  Meh, whatever.  It will get done no matter what!  Yay!

Sunday, I took down all the halloween + thanksgiving decorations, sorted thru all the halloween costumes, reduced everything to four bins (2 decoration, 2 costume).

I did 7 loads of laundry (recovering from camping), 3 loads of dishes (inc. camping dishes), put all camping stuff in bins and in garage.

tidied and cleaned: front hall, nook, diningroom, kitchen, main area.

monday was a school day + decluttered kitchen counters, put all laundry away, decluttered two more camping bins

tuesday is a school day + the school room.  it has to be ready for my mom to stay in it for a month.  she arrives... tomorrow.  oh my.

i think i will start with the floor during the dc first music practice.

then the desks followed by the shelves. 

then we'll clean either today or tomorrow.  its ballet tech week, so likely tomorrow...

ann

I am just seeing this! What a great idea! I have to think about my challenges- the biggest being by the time I am done with schooling/normal chores I am too worn out to deep clean.  I think for this week a goal will be my game closet.  So tomorrow- clean off the top few shelves.

I am just seeing this! What a great idea! I have to think about my challenges- the biggest being by the time I am done with schooling/normal chores I am too worn out to deep clean.  I think for this week a goal will be my game closet.  So tomorrow- clean off the top few shelves.

AMDG

Welcome, kwg, and remember: divide and conquer multiplied by baby steps!  It is the magic cure for getting things done.  Figure out what needs to be done, divide it into small units (chores, you might say) and list them.  Not too many, not too big, not too long!  Biting off too much can kill the whole thing!

Game closet sounds like a great place to start and breaking that down into shelves to conquer is a great idea.

Keep us updated!

Well, I didn't get as much done as I wanted to. In my defense, my Mom died Sunday night and I'm not focusing as well as I usually do. However, I did unpack our suitcases, unloaded the car (my Mom lived over 600 miles away), cleared off a chair, took laundry upstairs and put it away, and started decluttering the area around my chair.

This means for Wednesday:

1. Continue decluttering areas around living room chairs

2. Declutter the dining room table (and put Christmas table cloth on)

3. Sort papers (it would help if I didn't keep printing stuff out)

4. Declutter items on top of living room stools

5. Declutter couch

We'll see what I can get done. Having a list helps.

AMDG

Oh, Ethel!  I'm so sorry.  Peace, girl, all kinds of peace during this difficult time.  I'll pray for the repose of your mom's soul and for peace for you.

Yeah, a list does help especially at times like this.  It helps to just go on auto pilot and do what we're told.  Make it small; write it down; do it.

about number 3 . . . would you be doing yourself a bigger favor by getting rid of them?  If you printed it out, it'll probably still be online somewhere to read later.  online.  without printing. and sorting.  and storing.  and dusting.  and forgetting.  and remembering.  but forgetting where you put it.  taking up space.

hmmm?

again, Ethel, heartfelt sympathies.  really.

Linen closet is done :party:

I have four sets of sheets to donate (kid twin patterns) plus some random towels and other linens. I have two kitchen trash bags full of sheets with tears, stains, and holes to drop off at the textile recycling bin (I love my state!).

AMDG

Textile recycling?  Wow!

That is great, Lucky!  It is a great thing to bless another with some sheets for the kiddos AND to free your home of the clutter.  Job well done!

I'm in.

Monday - donate clothes and toys - done

Tuesday - coat closet & dvd's  - done

Wednesday - linen closet, clean out kid's bathroom cabinets, replace shelf liner

Thursday - go through kids hanging clothes, kid's bedrooms, my clothes in drawers

Fri - my hanging clothes, family room toys, game shelf

Sat - kid's craft supplies, my craft supplies

Don't really have a specific plan or day-by-day guide, just doing various things as I have a few minutes here & there. (This week is busy, but I've still managed to do some.)

So far, I've cleaned off/straightened the den shelving -- now all the decorations are out & everything looks nice, not overcrowded. Donated some of the items that used to live on the shelves.

Cleaned out/straightened up ds' closet.

Tonight, did something I've been meaning to do for awhile. I've read various decluttering books & blogs that recommend taking everything out of a drawer or cabinet & then only putting back in things as you use them. What doesn't get put back in after a certain amount of time (can be a month, 3 months, 6 months) gets donated. I have 2 drawers in the kitchen that hold various utensils -- big serving spoons, spatulas, measuring spoons, etc.... I took stuff out of both drawers, put back in the items I use everyday & put everything else (the majority of stuff) into a plastic bin that I've now stored out of the kitchen. Already I love the emptiness of the drawers & will probably donate most, if not all, of the stuff that made it into the plastic bin in the first place.

Got another bag together to donate of various items around the house, plus have a bag of books to donate to the library.

My tasks for this week:

Monday was a disaster. The fridge got done, but none of my normal housework was completed, I fell way behind on the laundry, and the kids made a mess of the rest of the house. Two of them are sick, the potty trainer decided not to use the toilet at all that day, and one of them flooded the bathroom. (I didn't know until we got a call from our downstairs neighbor that water was running through her ceiling!)

Tuesday I got my normal housework done, plus about 3/4 of the uncompleted work from the day before, but nothing from the declutter/organize list. I hate starting out behind.

:grouphug: Ethal  :grouphug:

I managed to do the entire game closet lol.  I still have the aftermath to deal with- games for thrift store but the inside looks nice :) 

Today I will clean out the fridge and cabinets if there is time.  Closets should happen but there isnt time today.

:grouphug: Ethal  :grouphug:

I managed to do the entire game closet lol.  I still have the aftermath to deal with- games for thrift store but the inside looks nice :)

Today I will clean out the fridge and cabinets if there is time.  Closets should happen but there isnt time today.

AMDG

Yeah, aftermath . . . the WoRsE bEfORe It GeTs BeTtEr phase is a toughy.

Great Job on a great accomplishment and keep it going!

Monday was a disaster. The fridge got done, but none of my normal housework was completed, I fell way behind on the laundry, and the kids made a mess of the rest of the house. Two of them are sick, the potty trainer decided not to use the toilet at all that day, and one of them flooded the bathroom. (I didn't know until we got a call from our downstairs neighbor that water was running through her ceiling!)

Tuesday I got my normal housework done, plus about 3/4 of the uncompleted work from the day before, but nothing from the declutter/organize list. I hate starting out behind.

AMDG

AWWWwww, man!  I am sorry to hear that.  

However, to get your normal housework done AND take care of all your frustrating incidents AND remained sane AND still decided to post so we can encourage you to keep at it shows that YOU ARE JUST AWSOME!

It's okay to start out behind.  Just start.  and remember, a teeny, tiny, baby step is still a start.

AMDG

Okay, it's time to get busy this morning.  I had a client earlier that pushed me late to get to housework.  Now I'm home, warming by the fire, and not really wanting to get started.  

I WILL, THOUGH!

Today's chore is to sort, cull, organize scraps and put all the sewing tools, et c. on the pegboard. 

Yippeee!  I'm very excited to see this room almost done!

I am so jealous of your sewing/craft space. Sigh.

I'm not sure if I'll get to any projects today. Nutcracker weeks are tough trying to get in schoolwork, enough sleep, and meals (can't eat too close to dancing, too late to eat when she finally gets home at 9:20, which means she eats random small meals).

What needs to be done:

dd's closet needs a good reorganization plus clearing out of outgrown items

the chest freezer needs serious reorganization; I'm sure I've forgotten about some items near the bottom

And don't get me started on the mess that is the attic! The kids help by putting things up there for me (pull-down stairs) yet they tend to drop the bin or box wherever there is open space, not in the correct sector of the attic. I have spaces for camping gear, luggage, holiday items, clothes being saved for dd13 or younger cousins, toys being saved for grandchildren, wrapping supplies, household good being saved for kids' apartments, etc. I went up there yesterday to pull out the Christmas decorations and discovered a huge jumble :(

I'm in.

Wednesday - linen closet, clean out kid's bathroom cabinets, replace shelf liner - done

Thursday - go through kids hanging clothes, kid's bedrooms, my clothes in drawers - done

This is keeping me on track and getting so much completed - Thanks!!

I'm in.

Tuesday - coat closet & dvd's - done

Wednesday - linen closet, clean out kid's bathroom cabinets, replace shelf liner - done

Thursday - go through kids hanging clothes, kid's bedrooms, my clothes in drawers - done

Whoa, good job,

I am so jealous of your sewing/craft space. Sigh.

I'm not sure if I'll get to any projects today. Nutcracker weeks are tough trying to get in schoolwork, enough sleep, and meals (can't eat too close to dancing, too late to eat when she finally gets home at 9:20, which means she eats random small meals).

What needs to be done:

dd's closet needs a good reorganization plus clearing out of outgrown items

the chest freezer needs serious reorganization; I'm sure I've forgotten about some items near the bottom

And don't get me started on the mess that is the attic! The kids help by putting things up there for me (pull-down stairs) yet they tend to drop the bin or box wherever there is open space, not in the correct sector of the attic. I have spaces for camping gear, luggage, holiday items, clothes being saved for dd13 or younger cousins, toys being saved for grandchildren, wrapping supplies, household good being saved for kids' apartments, etc. I went up there yesterday to pull out the Christmas decorations and discovered a huge jumble :(

AMDG

Well, Lucky, maybe the best thing for Nutcracker weeks is to think big and do tiny.  

When is Nutcracker over?  You can sit down and make a weekly plan for the remainder of Advent (if there is any) and then make a big plan for the week b/t Christmas and New Year.  For now, select a tiny thing and make a big plan for that week.

Tiny?  

1.  Collect a legal pad and pen or just the phone on your camera will do.

2.  Move legal pad/pen to freezer or make a mental note not to lose your phone.

3. Find a laundry basket, box, storage container, whatever.

4. Move the container to the freezer

5. Send a child to move everything from the freezer to the box.

6. Go out to the box, take a pic of everything or make a list.  Maybe just make a list of everything you forgot.

7. Either put it back in the freeze or assign it to a kiddo.  If you do it, you may remember better what's there.

8.  Make a few notes about what you might need to get and keep that freezer organized.  

There!  That's 8 days worth of baby steps that shouldn't be too awfully overwhelming.  Yes?

I know . . . pretty easy to say when it's not my chore.  

I'm in.

AMDG

You are welcome!!  I'm so happy you joined and happier still that you're getting so much done!  Great job, mermo!

AMDG

Welcome to Friday AND the Feast of St. Nicholas!

I got derailed yesterday.  sigh.  My daughter did make the pegs for the pegboard but not till it was quite late and until those got done, I couldn't move the stuff to the board.  Instead, I did a ton of cleaning so that I would feel that I made a serious contribution to my goal anyway.

So, today is to get all the sewing supplies/tools to the pegboard AND cull/organize the printer area AND figure out what I"ve missed AND do that.  Plus, I hope to get to tomorrow's cleaning today.

DS and I got the couch cleared off yesterday and the piles around it. For today, I am decluttering the top of the piano. 

AMDG

It is CrAzY how clutter a piano can get. I decluttered mine the first week I started this thing and I really, really, have to stay on top of it. Good for you for getting it done!  Couch . . . Great!  Now this evening you can relax in a nice space that will bring you peace rather than chaos induced stress.  Great Job!

AMDG

Welcome to Friday AND the Feast of St. Nicholas!

I got derailed yesterday.  sigh.  My daughter did make the pegs for the pegboard but not till it was quite late and until those got done, I couldn't move the stuff to the board.  Instead, I did a ton of cleaning so that I would feel that I made a serious contribution to my goal anyway.

So, today is to get all the sewing supplies/tools to the pegboard AND cull/organize the printer area AND figure out what I"ve missed AND do that.  Plus, I hope to get to tomorrow's cleaning today.

AMDG

THERE!  That's the first time I've ever quoted myself.  

I'm almost done.  I need more pegs and a few zip ties and then I can finish up almost everything.  

The thing that isn't done and won't be done by the end of this week, alas, is organizing my patterns.  I decided to put them in transparent envelopes that have the 3-ring-binder holes.  I don't have a zillion patterns but the dozen or so I do have need a lot of work.  The punched envelopes are a couple of dollars apiece.  I didn't buy them hoping I'd find less expensive ones.  I didn't, so . . . I'll grab some next week.

AMDG

Saturday!!!  What an enormous amount of work accomplished!  That sewing room was a huge project to tackle.  In fact, at about Wednesday I began to wonder if I wasn't going to have to make it a 2 week project or, at least, whittle down next week's project to a few days and borrow.  However, yes, I did persevere and I did accomplish a great deal.  Yay!

Today

I have to do the final deep clean but I did a lot of it yesterday . . . I'd say I have about half left. 

I got (my husband to get) some zip ties so I can attach some containers to my pegboard so I'll do that and put up the remaining stuff.

I will get the transparent hole-punched envelopes today.  I don't think I'll get started sorting/organizing, though, b/c today is a monthly cooking project I have.

All in all, I am so grateful for this accomplishment!