Menu

Long shot: anyone have a huffy green machine drift trike (recumbent trike)

bettyandbob

I want to get a recumbent trike for my ds with disabilities. He has tried a mobito and could pedal. It was a little small so we'd really be looking at the mobo triton, but is really out of our price range.

I've been watching eBay and Craigslist and I will go see something today by a brand that hasn't been in business for years, the trike may not be good for ds because it's listed as a trick trike. I think it has a rocker seat to make leaning into things easier and other features that won't work for ds.

I saw the huffy green machine this morning. It's listed as a "drift trike". It's cheaper than thing I'm going to see today. How durable is it? The steering and brake placement look awkward. What can you tell me about this.

Betty,

Can your son work a handcycle? How old is he? Might have some ideas.

Google Invacare excelerator or top end.

My younger ds has balance issues. He also is extremely anxious, which contributes to more balances problems, so a low to the ground vehicle will work better than a standard trike. ds is 12 and has down syndrome. We've tried learning on regular bikes and even participated in Loose the Training Wheels. Unfortunately, recumbent trikes are pretty expensive. He'd probably like a handcycle, but those price points are way out of our range. 

The mobo he tried at a friend's is just under $300.

https://www.asaproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TRI-001

That seems to be the cheapest pricepoint for recumbant trikes. I saw the Huffy today with a MSRP $110. However, it is specifically designed for stunt riding.

http://mobile.huffy.com/Products/Product.aspx?pid=728|2|10|2  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLI984tbmD4

My dream would be to find something that doesn't look dorky, that he can master by April when the neighborhood school (where his special needs program is) has it's "bike to school day", so he can participate with everyone else. This is the last year he can do it and he likes to try to be part of the group.

This is going to be a leaner year on Christmas. Younger ds won't really notice, but I went over that issue with my older two yesterday. We are looking at spending money from Nana on this present. The trike I found on Craigslist is $75 and I found a deal on the Huffy at Target dot com for $59 (plus my 5% target savings). The Craigslist trike also looks like it was  designed to tricks, but it is chain driven, has 3 real wheels, and the steering controls are next to the seat like the Mobo, rather than between the legs. We may not get anything, but if we get something I want it to work. 

OK my post is long, I guess I'm thinking out loud, trying to figure it out. 

My dd10 has a green machine. She loves it, but it's not really designed for regular riding. She rides in the street and gets going fast, then pulls one lever to do donuts. We went for a long walk a few weeks ago and she brought it. She kept crashing into the wall and running in over my feet. The sidewalk is narrow with a stone wall on one side, and she couldn't keep it straight. But, she has a ball with it in wide open spaces where she can spin it. In order to keep it going straight, you have to keep the levers aligned at all times because they're supposed to be off balance to keep the back wheels angled to do donut spins. It takes some arm effort and some practice to keep them straight.

Aside from that, it's sturdy and takes a beating. I didn't think the big plastic wheels in the back would last long, buts it's held up just fine. If you want it for regular riding, it's not really a good choice.

My dd10 has a green machine. She loves it, but it's not really designed for regular riding. She rides in the street and gets going fast, then pulls one lever to do donuts. We went for a long walk a few weeks ago and she brought it. She kept crashing into the wall and running in over my feet. The sidewalk is narrow with a stone wall on one side, and she couldn't keep it straight. But, she has a ball with it in wide open spaces where she can spin it. In order to keep it going straight, you have to keep the levers aligned at all times because they're supposed to be off balance to keep the back wheels angled to do donut spins. It takes some arm effort and some practice to keep them straight.

Aside from that, it's sturdy and takes a beating. I didn't think the big plastic wheels in the back would last long, buts it's held up just fine. If you want it for regular riding, it's not really a good choice.

Exactly this. :-). It has taken a beating from my 3 kids and their friends over the last year. They love it!