Menu

Fighting Heart of Dakota

quietchapel

Our new year starts soon and I am seeking guidance.

I was all ready to use Memoria Press complete curriculum, until I went over our various options with dh today. His vote is for Heart of Dakota because it is all planned out and it appears the children will be doing a variety of activities throughout their days and the year. It looks like a great program, but I am so hesitant as I wonder if the program will be a challenge to adapt.

Here are my questions:

1. Is providential history a main theme throughout the various levels? If yes, would it be possible to avoid that content?

2. If the science component were not used in the upper grades, would the guide still be worth using for other subjects?

3. Is the science in lower grades relatively easy to adapt to an old- earth view?

4. Would it be crazy to do three levels to start?

5. My 4th grader would be in Preparing, according to the placement charts. However, she has already done the spine and many books for that level and has never had American history. Would the 7-9 be ok? This child needs to be challenged.

Looking forward to any responses. I am so desperate for something I can open and do each day. I don't even have to love it at this point, I just want us all to get to the end of the day and think it wasn't so bad! : )

I had an email and phone conversation with the folks at HOD regarding the Old Earth/ Young Earth thing.  Basically they try to show Creationism and do not very STRONGLY lean YE.  However, they do use several books which are clearly young earth and they support Ken Ham et al.  so they cautioned me that while they write the guides to say "please discuss your family's views on this matter" they do include several resources that lean YE, and that that is their conviction/understanding.

Providential History was another issue I asked about and didn't get as clear of a feel for that one.

Hope this answers a few of your questions. I've never used HOD.  It looks like a wonderful program though.

We tried HOD out of my desperate desire for Open and Go. It did not work for us. It was TOO regimented. Missing a box one day could mess up a whole week. Tweaking to fit could be a real issue. If we needed to take a day off it made the weeks all off schedule. Not to mention that the science was choppy. The LA too weak. I shelved it after 5 weeks....yes, I am back to planning...but at least I am planning to my childs needs and not teaching a curriculum tailored for all types of kids. With HOD there is no room for individuality.

Our new year starts soon and I am seeking guidance.

I was all ready to use Memoria Press complete curriculum, until I went over our various options with dh today. His vote is for Heart of Dakota because it is all planned out and it appears the children will be doing a variety of activities throughout their days and the year. It looks like a great program, but I am so hesitant as I wonder if the program will be a challenge to adapt.

Here are my questions:

1. Is providential history a main theme throughout the various levels? If yes, would it be possible to avoid that content?

2. If the science component were not used in the upper grades, would the guide still be worth using for other subjects?

3. Is the science in lower grades relatively easy to adapt to an old- earth view?

5. My 4th grader would be in Preparing, according to the placement charts. However, she has already done the spine and many books for that level and has never had American history. Would the 7-9 be ok? This child needs to be challenged.

Looking forward to any responses. I am so desperate for something I can open and do each day. I don't even have to love it at this point, I just want us all to get to the end of the day and think it wasn't so bad! : )

HOD looks so amazing in so many ways but every single time I look at it, I get completely overwhelmed.  Just so many little boxes, so many little projects, so many separate books, and then on top of it to add/work in the whole DITHOR into it so that you actually have Lit Study....

Must be for really Type A people.  It looks really solid though.

Glad you found something that will seem to work for you.  

What about Winter Promise? Did you know they have levels made for grades 1-7? That's a lot of grades where you'd all be on the same page, without trouble. You can pick & choose from all the ideas they have. Mind you, their themes only cover one subject {history with geography} you'd have to get LA & Science separate..

We moved to them after me just needing something planned out for us that would get us through the day without feeling we'd not accomplished stuff. In the end I was really happy with our choice as it was one of our best school years. :)

Here are my questions:

1. Is providential history a main theme throughout the various levels? 

I would say no, with the exception of the history in Little Hearts. Those books are definitely providential.

Yes. HoD's strengths are history and LA.

I would say so.

Yes. :)

Yes, Bigger Hearts would be great for her if you used the extension package and skill-appropriate grammar and math.

Yes, HoD is very well-planned and open-and-go. However it is also very regimented as a pp mentioned. You need to be the type of person who likes every jot and tittle planned out.