Menu

Calvin has been invited for interview at Oxford University

Laura Corin

Even if it goes no further than this, he'll always know that they thought he was a good candidate.

He takes the train down on Monday week, and has interviews/activities over the next three to four days (depending on whether more than one college within the university wants to interview him).  He stays in his preferred college, and they feed him and entertain him for free.  

L

ETA: Calvin seems to have won a prize.  The star just appeared -->

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Laura that is amazing. 

When he was drafting his personal statement (application essay) for the UCAS common application, he downplayed his home education background at first, not knowing how it would go over.  A friend of ours put out some feelers for him at Oxford, and came back with the news that - backed up with his achieved and predicted exam results - he should stress his unusual background because they are looking for original thinkers.  So it's there in his first sentence: home educated, mostly in China.  So far, the strategy seems to be working.

L

Go Calvin!!!   Congratulations to both of you on a job well done!

It's amazing that even though I don't know anyone other than what I read here, I'm so proud of all "our" students

with all their accomplishments.   It really is exciting!   I hope he has a great visit and they conclude that they

couldn't possibly pass up such a student.   All of our students are homeschooling ambassadors and pave the

way for others.   :hurray:

Oxford interviews are definitely an experience!  I've had one myself and seen a bit of the other side of the process, as my husband did some interviewing & the subsequent selection meetings.

The important thing to remember is that how you think the interviews went doesn't necessarily translate to how well you did - you can think you did terribly and still get in (and vice versa).

Wishing Calvin all the best!

And tomorrow, I expect.  That is a lot of holes to dig.  And just how big are these trees?

One was about seven feet tall, but the others are wee: no more than two feet.  I dug the holes last weekend, so I just need to pop them in with some enriched soil, stake them, water them and protect them from rabbits.

L

When he was drafting his personal statement (application essay) for the UCAS common application, he downplayed his home education background at first, not knowing how it would go over. A friend of ours put out some feelers for him at Oxford, and came back with the news that - backed up with his achieved and predicted exam results - he should stress his unusual background because they are looking for original thinkers. So it's there in his first sentence: home educated, mostly in China. So far, the strategy seems to be working.

L

I'm with Teachin' Mine.....it is exciting to learn about all these kids that we have "watched" grow up over the yrs. It has been fascinating to read your posts (I used to enjoy looking at the pictures you posted when you were living China.) Calvin definitely has a unique story to tell!!

Best wishes to him on the interview. I can just imagine the excitement he feels and the momma anxiety you are anticipating while he is gone! Hoping for peace and wisdom as he answers the interviewers. :)

One was about seven feet tall, but the others are wee: no more than two feet.  I dug the holes last weekend, so I just need to pop them in with some enriched soil, stake them, water them and protect them from rabbits.

L

Ah.  Doable then.  Well except maybe the rabbits part.  Will they survive the winter?  The trees, not the rabbits?  It sounds like you are helping the rabbits to survive the winter lol.  I have a vague feeling that your winter is milder than mine due to currents or islandness or something, but I don't know how high you are.

Ah.  Doable then.  Well except maybe the rabbits part.  Will they survive the winter?  The trees, not the rabbits?  It sounds like you are helping the rabbits to survive the winter lol.  I have a vague feeling that your winter is milder than mine due to currents or islandness or something, but I don't know how high you are.

Yes - the UK is protected by the Gulf Stream/North Atlantic Drift.  We are on a latitude with Moscow but the lowest temperature that I've experienced in five years is about minus 15 degrees C.

This is the best time to plant trees here: they have just become dormant but the soil is still warm.  They get their roots in over winter (when it's damp) and are ready to come into leaf in the spring.

Last November, Calvin and I planted about twenty teeny trees (hawthorn, hazel, rowan, birch plus some shrubs) on a really chilly day and into very muddy ground.  We were pretty miserable doing it (Calvin was close to mutiny) but every single one survived.

The problem is the short day.  I'm finishing my coffee after lunch at 2.30, and I only have just over an hour of useable daylight.  So no, I won't be finished today.  But it will be done tomorrow.

L

Even if it goes no further than this, he'll always know that they thought he was a good candidate.

He takes the train down on Monday week, and has interviews/activities over the next three to four days (depending on whether more than one college within the university wants to interview him).  He stays in his preferred college, and they feed him and entertain him for free.  

L

Awesome!  My daughter would be envious.  She would love to go to Cambridge or Oxford for a Master's, at least. 

Any more news?   I hope that Calvin understands that an entire homeschooling community is following his progress.   No pressure mind you.  :laugh:

Edited:  LOL While as another newbie to this whole application stuff I'm piling on the pressure, the more seasoned calm of Nan is reminding you to breathe.  She gives good advice!

Any more news?   I hope that Calvin understands that an entire homeschooling community is following his progress.   No pressure mind you.  :laugh:

As far as he knows there are only two applicants for his course at this college.  I suggested pistols at dawn.

The college won't necessarily take anyone this year - the whole university only takes five or six per year onto this particular course.

I'm fairly calm.  It's out of my hands now.

L

Maybe swords would be better?

Or perhaps not, if one considers that quote about bullets possibly going anywhere but steel being bound to go somewhere.

Funny you should quote Lord Peter.  Calvin has Gaudy Night with him.  If he has any spare time, he's going location hunting.

L