Menu

50% off at Plan to Eat this weekend ($19.50 for a year)

ILiveInFlipFlops

It's the annual Black Friday sale at Plan to Eat, so if you've been thinking about signing up but haven't yet, now is a great time. If you've been looking for a meal planning service, check it out. I've found it extremely helpful.

http://www.plantoeat.com/black_friday_weekend_sale

(Disclaimer: I'm not getting anything from posting this, I just happen to like the service and thought I'd share  :) )

Is it possible to coordinate either Plan to Eat or The Fresh 20 with the usual cycle of food sales and in season fresh foods?

The Fresh 20 is mostly seasonal, but an annual subscription gives access to the archives, so you can pick and choose menus to best take advantage of current sales.

The Fresh 20 is mostly seasonal, but an annual subscription gives access to the archives, so you can pick and choose menus to best take advantage of current sales.

And Plan to Eat is for your own meal planning. It's a recipe database where you save your recipes, then you use the planner calendar to drag or assign meals to the days you want to make them. When you do that, it generates a grocery list based on the ingredients in your meals (which you can edit according to what you already have or your substitutions, of course). It does have a social media-style component that allows you to "friend" other PTE users; then you can see their public recipes as well as their public meal plans, so I guess it's possible that you can connect with someone who has the same stores/sales you do and import their plans. Maybe that will help?

I'm tempted to give it a try -- since you can still do the 30 day free trial, I think I will. I need some inspiration in my cooking but never get around to using any online recipes I find because I don't work them into the rotation or get them on my grocery list. Maybe this will help.

I'm tempted to give it a try -- since you can still do the 30 day free trial, I think I will. I need some inspiration in my cooking but never get around to using any online recipes I find because I don't work them into the rotation or get them on my grocery list. Maybe this will help.

It does help me that way. We still eat the same basic meals for the most part, but when I get in a rut (which is often) or when I need to start working through the pantry or freezer (like right now!), this makes it so easy to figure out what I can do with what I have, how I can our make meals more interesting, etc. I especially love the recipe import feature. I always hated trying to figure out how to save the recipes I come across on blogs and Pinterest and here. I made a "Save to PTE" bookmark on my browser toolbar, so it's always handy and I can grab any recipe in a second. They even just made the photo import feature easier, and that's really important to me when I'm choosing recipes. 

Thanks for sharing this. DH just suggested this as a possible Christmas gift for me to take some of the irritation out of meal planning for me. I was reluctant to go for it at $39/yr, but $19.50 sounds good to me!

Erica in OR

They do this every year, so if you time it right, you can always renew at the $19.50.