Menu

Favorite gifts for boys, 9 - 14?

Woodhaven

I need to boy both Christmas AND birthday gifts for my eldest and youngest.  And gifts for the two boys in between.  :001_smile:

Ideas? :confused1:

I keep looking for things to build, make, create.  Things they can "design". I'd like to skip Lego this year if I can. Perhaps something to do with science....  I don't know.  I guess I just need ideas.

:bigear: :bigear:

Snapcircuits

Tools and toolbox

K-nex

Outdoor stuff: pogo stick, stilts, zip line

Of course, my 13 year old keeps asking for video games.... :banghead:

Those are good ideas.  But with 4 boys, we already have several sets of Snapcircuits, and K'nex. The outdoor stuff I'll have to think about. The zip line they would LOVE, but I don't know if "I" could handle it!

Ugh.  Such a tough age to buy for.  Either that or my kids are strange.  My 8.5 year old has never been into building toys.  DS 11 has long gone outgrown snap circuits, k-nex, Legos, etc.  He just isn't into any of that anymore.

Outdoor stuff is meh because it will be months before they can use any of it.

Sorry to hijack, but I've wanted to ask the same question!

Yes, it is a tough age to buy for! 

Model Cars/Planes

Marshmallow Gun 

Walkie Talkies

Spy Kit

Good ideas...  We don't have room for models, although they have enjoyed them in the past.  They have so many dart guns and such that I hesitate to get more.  But those are good are good ideas.  We've just used them already.  :001_smile:

I don't think they would use Walkie Talkies, but I like the idea.  Spy Kit..... I'll think about that more and research that.

Thanks!!

If you're willing to consider a book that has nothing whatsoever to do with building, making, or creating ~

Oh, Yuck! The Encyclopedia of Everything Nasty.

It has great kid (and teen and parent and ...) appeal!

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, they would probably love this, but I had a hard time even looking at the cover!!  :laugh:

Great ideas!  Thanks!!

duct tape weapons and other objects + duct tape

pocket knife, multi-tool, or cool flash drive

mechanical bank (hand coming out of the toilet to grab the change is a good one, although it needs batteries)

mini-loupe or magnifying glasses

fake mustaches

weird bandaids (bacon, police tape, etc.)

chocolate covered bacon or carmelized bacon

a giant container of cheeseballs or other weird snack

rock'm sock'm robots or sumo ham slam games (dexterity/fighting games) or Survive: Escape from Atlantis or The Last Days of Pompeii (try to escape yourself but also try to get everyone else type games)

super soft cozy blanket, weird pillow, or back pillow

nerf stuff, especially more bullets, or the nerf bow

small rc helicopter or cars that can laser tag each other

tetherball

bocci (if you trust them not to get too crazy, the balls are heavy)

snow shoes (or the stuff to make your own), cross-country skiis, or diving/surf gear

tobaggan

weights

punching bag and stuff to hang it

musical instrument

folding table

tool box (with stuff)

tackle box (with stuff)

MP3 player, MP3 speaker

jump for skateboard or bike

Zometools are on my possible list this year.  So is the Snap Circuits Light kit.

Last year they got some Fortamajigs and liked them.

I feel your pain.  5 boys in 6 years means we really don't need anything.  

Would your oldest like a Raspberry Pi or Arduino?  These involve programming.

My older boys are suddenly very into yo-yoing and learning tricks (they saw a Ted Talk and were inspired).

My ds has enjoyed his hydrodynamic deluxe set. He has designed a bunch of different waterways and gets it out often to tinker with. It has been a hit with the neighborhood boys as well. He is always up to play the board games settlers of catan, dominion, and ticket to ride. He has another building set called a girder and panel tekton set, that he has designed bridges with. Otherwise my ds is still so into setting up battles with Playmobil men and building legos. He also loves restaurant gift cards so he can decide when to go out and treat the family for lunch or dinner at his favorite places. He is so thoughtful that way :)

Coming back to this thread.  Since I have 4 boys to buy for for Christmas, and two to buy birthday gifts for, I am still in need of a few ideas.  Thanks!!

duct tape weapons and other objects + duct tape

pocket knife, multi-tool, or cool flash drive

mechanical bank (hand coming out of the toilet to grab the change is a good one, although it needs batteries)

mini-loupe or magnifying glasses

fake mustaches

weird bandaids (bacon, police tape, etc.)

chocolate covered bacon or carmelized bacon

a giant container of cheeseballs or other weird snack

rock'm sock'm robots or sumo ham slam games (dexterity/fighting games) or Survive: Escape from Atlantis or The Last Days of Pompeii (try to escape yourself but also try to get everyone else type games)

super soft cozy blanket, weird pillow, or back pillow

nerf stuff, especially more bullets, or the nerf bow

small rc helicopter or cars that can laser tag each other

tetherball

bocci (if you trust them not to get too crazy, the balls are heavy)

snow shoes (or the stuff to make your own), cross-country skiis, or diving/surf gear

tobaggan

weights

punching bag and stuff to hang it

musical instrument

folding table

tool box (with stuff)

tackle box (with stuff)

MP3 player, MP3 speaker

jump for skateboard or bike

I plan to get my 8yr old Legos, Matchbox Cars, Board Games, and im not sure what else but nothing that implies violence of any kind. 

My boys enjoy those things too.  :001_smile:  I'm not a fan of violence either, but my boys just seem to play rough.

Zometools are on my possible list this year.  So is the Snap Circuits Light kit.

Last year they got some Fortamajigs and liked them.

I feel your pain.  5 boys in 6 years means we really don't need anything.  

Would your oldest like a Raspberry Pi or Arduino?  These involve programming.

My older boys are suddenly very into yo-yoing and learning tricks (they saw a Ted Talk and were inspired).

Interesting ideas.  The older two expecially may be interested in programing.  Thanks!

My son's a big "builder".  He's 11 and enjoys many things already mentioned, but also any metal erector sets and remote control machines (http://www.amazon.com/Thames-Kosmos-Remote-Control-Machines/dp/B003KYXAQO/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385937485&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=remote+cntrol+machines)

We love Thanes-Kosmos stuff.  :001_smile: The boys also enjoy robotics and almost anything remote controled.

Listening.  All mine has asked for is Magic cards. More cards!  Arrgh!  :lol:

His brother, 6, has a list long enough for the both of them!!!

I would love something that would enable mine to be more creative.

I know what you mean.  I try to remain attentive and listening to what other people have found for their kids.

My ds has enjoyed his hydrodynamic deluxe set. He has designed a bunch of different waterways and gets it out often to tinker with. It has been a hit with the neighborhood boys as well. He is always up to play the board games settlers of catan, dominion, and ticket to ride. He has another building set called a girder and panel tekton set, that he has designed bridges with. Otherwise my ds is still so into setting up battles with Playmobil men and building legos. He also loves restaurant gift cards so he can decide when to go out and treat the family for lunch or dinner at his favorite places. He is so thoughtful that way :)

We have Catoan, Dominion, and such games and they do love them.  The hydrodynamic deluxe set looks interesting. Good ideas.  Thanks!