Menu

Recommend a washer

Scuff

Our washer died. A Kenmore HE2Plus that was about 6-7 years old. I'm done with it. That thing was such a hassle.  I want a boring top loader. So, do you have any recommendations? And how do you all feel about your HE top-loaders? Are they worth it? I want your opinions!

The last time this was brought up, I heard rave reviews of the good old-fashioned Speed Queen washers.  I put one on my Amazon wish list so I'd know what to order when my yucky Whirlpool HE dies.

Here's my link...

http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Queen-AWN412S-Top-Load-Capacity/dp/B005AHL2FA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385651434&sr=8-1&keywords=speed+queen+washer

I love my boring speed queen top loader. It holds my queen comforter and single-sized sleeping bags. The only thing it won't hold is a double sleeping bag that won't zip apart. The Speed Queen website should lead you to a local appliance place that carries them. My local shop had prices comparable to any I've seen online and the didn't charge me shipping. My washer has a three year warranty too.

If you're looking for a good old fashioned top loader, Speed Queen is the choice.

Click on this link Speed Queen

These are straight-up washing machines like most of our moms and grandmas had.  They have electromechanical controls that make the washer do exactly what you want it to do.  Flip some switches, turn the dial and pull out the knob, then these machines do what you tell them to do.  They make no decisions or judgments on their own.  If you want hot water, you get hot water.  If want a half-sized load, you get a half-sized load.

Each of the three machines in the link above are exactly the same as far as size, construction and inner workings go.  What separates them is the extra features you get with each one.  They have a good warranty and are made in the US.

I learned about Speed Quenn from WTM, and I am so glad I did. SQ is not at big box stores, not in Consumer Reports, but they are the BEST washers, imo. You should avoid SQ if you want a computer controlled machine that decides how much water you can use and so on. SQ has mechanical controls -- a knob for temperature, a knob for water level, and a dial for cycles. Put it all tighter the way *you* want.

This may not be a fair comparison, because my old washer was terrible, but SQ got ds's white socks cleaner than presoaking plus hand scrubbing plus washing in my old washer. Clothes get clean. And they don't get torn or damaged. It is big and deep, big comforters are no problem.

Btw, SQ makes commercial washers.

Speed Queen all the way, baby!  You might have a local appliance dealer who carries them.

We got ours at Slyman Bros. in St. Louis.  My cousin in southern California even ordered from them and had it delivered out there!  I don't know what he paid, but it might be worth checking out. 

I lied.  Turns out they did order from St. Louis, but it was from Goedeker's, not Slyman Bros.

Scuff, have you gotten a washer?