Menu

Quick! Help me pick a game for tomorrow!

AlmiraGulch

This year we're foregoing the big family shindig and just hanging out with our own immediate family.  Two adults, a 17 year old and an almost 11 year old.

Three of us love board games, and DH will tolerate them.  We want a new fun game to play tomorrow, but I don't know what to get.  I'm sick of buying bombs.

I'm a trivia nut, but I'm the only one.  If we play anything that depends on knowing useless facts, I'll win every time.  No fun for anyone else, so that's out.

We don't want anything that requires deep thinking or too much strategy.

Needs to be relatively easy to learn or it won't be fun.

Someone mentioned on another thread that I can't find now some game that changes rules all the time.  It looked fun, but I don't think I can get it at Target.

We love Quelf and Cranium if that helps.   Think funny and silly and stuff that makes you laugh.  We also have a good time with Uno and that sort of thing.  

Suggestions, please!  I need to get out in the madness before it becomes even madder.  

Based solely on what's available at Target: 

Wits and Wagers~it's a trivia game, but one where it's more important to bet on the right answer then to guess the right answer. The trivia is almost impossible to know, you just have to be better at seeing the correct answer and hedging your bets.

Dixit Journey~ it's similar to apples to apples. One player choses a card from their hand and gives an abstract clue about the card. Everyone adds a card from their own hand which is closest to the clue. The difficulty lies in getting at least one person to guess your card but not everyone...can't be too obvious. Really beautiful and strange artwork. 

Blokus~you're trying to place more of your geometric pieces than anyone else. People try to construct blocks and head each other off. 

Pandemic~co-operative game where the entire group tries to keep diseases from taking over the planet while collecting cards which will cure each of the 4 diseases. 

Ticket to Ride~players get route cards and collect colored cards to create railroad lines. Not difficult to learn but playing means cutting each other off as you try to create the most complete routes

If you haven't left yet and you can find it, I'd go with Monopoly Deal. It's a card game where you try to collect the sets of properties. (I hear there is a new one called monopoly millionaire? I can't vouch for that one) we got it a few years ago and dh and I love it. We took it to our extended family gathering and everyone went out and bought their own soon afterward. It's now a staple game at all family gatherings!

Thanks for all of the responses!

I left before I was able to read any of them, but we'll get another for Christmas, too.

When I was at Target I was looking at Wits and Wagers, Qwirkle, and The Game of Things.  

Unfortunately, I ended up going with Sour Apples to Apples.  It's A2A, which we like, but with a twist.  It's fun, but...it's Apples to Apples, basically, which we already had.

I'm going to look at some of the others you've recommended for next time.  Thanks for your help!

Just left Target.  I bought Trouble. Dd looked a long time at one of the Settlers of Catan extension packs, but didn't tell me until we got home.  Other family games we like and will probably play tomorrow:

Lego Creationary

SkipBo

Dutch Blitz

Blockus

Doodle Dice

Bananagrams