Menu

A question for our friends down under

AlmiraGulch

Ah, but it should be pumpkin pie.  Alas, no tinned pumpkin here.  At least not in the regular supermarket, you can buy it online here if anyone is desperate:

http://www.usafoods.com.au/Beverages?search=pumpkin

I browse this site when I'm feeling nostalgic.  :lol:

Wait, wasn't this thread about Christmas carols?  I just attended something where we sang a few carols and it got me realising that the tune to Away in a Manger is totally different here.  (Bonus: this takes place at a Carols by Candlelight event!)

Carols by Candlelight is a little different than the church type I went to in the US.  These are outside (cuz ya know, it's warm here and we can do that!) and are a community event.  It's like a concert in the park with different groups/individuals performing.  Everyone brings their picnic blankets/chairs to sit on.  Toward the end they pass out candles.  Sometimes there's a Santa visit.  Each community has one, larger towns will have several.

ETA:  This is a fancy one.  There's not usually an orchestra except at the big ones!  ;)

Oh no, I can't be doing with the Marmite! Lived in the UK, tried it. Too sweet.

That's interesting because I've never thought of it as sweet.  I checked the ingredients and they are (in the Morrisons knock-off version): yeast extract, salt, niacin, thiamin, folic acid and vitamin B12.  Sugars are given as 'trace'.  This is the nutritional information according to wiki - sugar is 'trace' again

L

I'm a marmite girl.

We're a little further down than down-under but we cheerfully sing of dashing through snow and dreaming of white Christmasses while chasing snowmen through the streets or toy town.  Love Grandma got run over by a Reindeer... played it at grandma's funeral :blushing: (she was run over... she totally would have approved). 

We do have some other versions too though... "Te Harinui", and "A Pukeko in a Punga Tree" come to mind. 

Those pies... they're not fruit, they're meat.  Unless you're talking fruit mince pies, but they're still not what you're thinking.  I make my own Christmas crackers.