Menu

ToG or SOTW for Crafty Child?

I think they are both as crafty as you want them to be.

I've found that some SOTW crafts are a little simpler-with templates in the book and that kind of thing. TOG crafts seem to be larger in scope-at least some of them. Both have lots of ideas. I love the book recs for both.

We do minimal crafts right now so we are just reading the books with SOTW.

If you just want craft ideas do SOTW. If you're thinking of using TOG later or are thinking more long term then pick TOG. SOTW is much cheaper if you're just wanting something with craft ideas.

I plan to use TOG later but am simplifying right now as we just moved and I have lots of littles. So SOTW it is!

I think they are both as crafty as you want them to be.

I've found that some SOTW crafts are a little simpler-with templates in the book and that kind of thing. TOG crafts seem to be larger in scope-at least some of them. Both have lots of ideas. I love the book recs for both.

We do minimal crafts right now so we are just reading the books with SOTW.

If you just want craft ideas do SOTW. If you're thinking of using TOG later or are thinking more long term then pick TOG. SOTW is much cheaper if you're just wanting something with craft ideas.

I plan to use TOG later but am simplifying right now as we just moved and I have lots of littles. So SOTW it is!

We are planning on using Tapestry for the long haul. I'm actually much more sold on using it for 5th grade and up than I am for 1-4. I would love to do Story of the World from 1-4, but I keep thinking that once my daughter starts using Tapestry in 5th, my son will be using it from 2-4 anyways, so I might as well do it now so I'll have the binders and some of the books. It's been a difficult decision for me. That's why I was hoping that one of them would be superior in terms of activities =)

I think they'd be pretty similar also. SOTW has a bit better instructions in the AG (TOG really doesn't give instructions - it's just "make a diorama of trench warfare" or "make a periscope").

I've used SOTW 1 and 2 and now I'm using TOG Y4. My middle son is a 1st grader. For my middle son, TOG has been a better fit, I think. I'm not sure that he would get as much out of SOTW as my oldest did (SOTW was perfect for DS1 in first grade). We've enjoyed the books recommended by both TOG and SOTW. Both include picture books and such. TOG is a bit more laid out for you in terms of what books you'll read, whereas SOTW gives you this huge list to choose from each chapter. I use library books mostly (though may have to buy some for TOG Y1 next year), and either way I have to look and see what my library has. I've made a couple substitutions in TOG Y4 without problems. Substitutions are super easy at the grammar levels.

I drooled over TOG when my oldest was 1st grade, but I wasn't sure I was ready to handle it. Looking back, I think SOTW was a good decision for ME at that time. My kids weren't really used to read-alouds yet. I had an 18 month old. My 4 year old was a bit of a terror. It was a rough year! I think TOG would have been too much for me at that point. I *love* it for 1st grade, and I don't think it's too much for 1st grade (they usually have one or two history books, plus a picture book for literature... I can read it all to my son in a couple short sessions). I just don't think I as a teacher was ready for it at that point. I'm totally ready for it now, and it's working well for me. I think it would have been fabulous for my oldest if I'd started it earlier. He LOVES history. And he would have read all the LG books himself, leaving me not much to do. :lol:

Anyway, I have no idea what to suggest to you. Either option is great! Go with your gut.