Menu

Sedation for special needs teen at the dentist?

jelbe5

For those of you with special needs kids, have you found anything effective, other than general anesthesia, to be helpful in relaxing/sedating the patient enough for filling a cavity. My son had one cavity filled today and he was so distraught they could not fill the second one. We have another appointment next Tuesday. We gave him Thorazine before the appt. and the dentist used gas but that really did not seem effective. Anybody else have any ideas?

My one child had conscious sedation. She was a lot younger but hyper. I'm not sure of the name of the med they use for this, but your dentist would. Not all dentists use it, however. Our regular dentist referred us to a pediatric dentist who did.

Another child had gas alone, but it didn't work well for her and she would always cry with it. I think it was the effect of the gas and not just anxiety.

We just fought this same battle.

The psychiatrist gave us Ativan to use 30 minutes before her appointment and I have (but didn't use) extra Risperdal PRN. We also used the gas. Sometimes if they start that a bit before they start the work it seems to be more effective. Thankfully my daughter bought the idea that this would help and cooperated at the last visit. The dentist though he would just do 1 cavity but he got them all done in one visit.

Do you have a pediatric dentist you could use? We did find that our current dentist is much more successful than the previous one.

my child with autism only needed gas and local novacaine.  the drills were kinda quiet and they talked to her a lot like she was on a space ship (her obsession TV show was the wiggles space adventure).  so they did that.   I couildn't believe how relaxed she was.  She just played like she was on space ship and had to keep  her space mask on.  I couldn't believe my child was so calm..  I was nervous.  but she thought it was funny. 

My oldest, (not special needs) gets high anxiety levels at dentist. She had to have some valium prior to getting put under general for wisdom teeth out.  She (age 18 and regular needs) took in her teddy bears too. Prior to surgery day she told that dentist/surgeon "I'm really scared of the needle putting me under and I'm scared I"ll fight the needle" and he leaned over and handed us one valium.. in sealed container and had those with scripts on them. I guess he gets samples and only need the one.  Told her to take one hour before.  The other teen girl in the waiting room that morning had also taken the same thing one hour before.  and they were getting general sedation for wisdom teeth out.  and they both had teddy bears...  (ps...  I just looked up the ativan that ottakee mentioned...  learn something new all the time..  similar medicine to valium, it's a benzodiazepine.

((hugs)) as you and the dentist find what works.    My girls aren't on other meds other times. 

Another perspective, in my case Valium and gas both make my anxiety worse. Could that be happening and it is hard for the child to communicate the problem? I am probably an aspie but I was assumed neurotypical and could not communicate or really comprehend the nature of the problem during the reaction when I was in my early teens.

I have a special needs child - he's had horrid anxiety.  I understand - really.  I've also attended a lecture by a naturopath, as well as the one my son see's regularly that are absolutely under no circumstances opposed to having nitrous oxide inhaled because it can halt the methylation cycle in the brain.  in good cases, it will just shut down for a few days then slowly come back up. it can shut it down permanently.  the ND who lectured sat down with his dentist, and explained exactly what inhaling it does to the methylation cycle - that dentist no longer offers nitrous oxide.

My family dentist also specializes in treating people with dental anxiety. He is very respectful and willing to do whatever needs to be done to help people get the dental care they need.  I once a teen brought in who appeared to have special needs and was also quite sedated, but able to walk with some guidance. He was brought right into an office and it was very quiet and dim for him. In fact, I noticed that my kid was the only other one in the office, so it was scheduled for a time when it would be quiet in general.

Is it possible to find a dentist in your area who specializes in treating people who have dental anxiety? I know that the anxiety might not be the issue, but that sort of dentist is prob going to know ways to be helpful.

Is it possible to find a dentist in your area who specializes in treating people who have dental anxiety? I know that the anxiety might not be the issue, but that sort of dentist is prob going to know ways to be helpful.

Two of the dentists in the practice we go to are really known for this. One does sedation dentistry, and one primarily uses other techniques. Both are known for working with kids with various challenges and also elderly people with dementia.  Obviously each case requires a full analysis of the individual's challenges, but I've heard nothing but good about them.  They seem to grasp that certain measures can't be used with certain disabilities/medical issues and how to approach each case.  DH goes to the second dentist because of complex medical problems, and I've been very impressed with how much effort they'd gone to in order to fully understand what they can and cannot do.