Menu

Teaching Textbooks-text only without CDs?

I think the main reason a lot of us like TT is for the computer aspect. The computer takes a lot of the prep and teaching time away from mom (or Dad). This is helpful for a lot of reasons; from teacher having to much on their plate, to the student preferring a break from mom (or Dad) teaching. I think if I were not using the computer aspect there are a lot of other programs out there. Have you looked at Art of Problem solving? That is what we are moving onto after TT7.

Thanks for the response.  I have looked at AOPS, but I do not know if it is the right fit.  He is a super bright, mathy  kid, but has a very low frustration threshold.  I love the idea of a worktext with enough white space to prevent him from getting overwhelmed.   I will probably go ahead with the CDs as well and save them for DS2.

Thanks!

Yes, TT can be done without the CD's. I was looking for an interim program between Singapore 6b and Algebra and used the TT Text for several months just fine. I believe that dd stayed focused better without the CD lecture. Having me discuss the material in a conversational way and having her interact with me, a real person, was exactly what she needed.

BTW, we moved on to Derek Owens Pre-Algebra after using TT for a time. I much prefer the lecture style to TT Pre-Algebra. I think it would be much better than AOPS for a bright math student with a low frustration threshold. That describes my child to a 'T'.

DD12 used TT for Algebra 1.  After about a week, she got tired of listening to the guy's voice and started just watching the lecture with the sound turned off.  It worked fine - he works out the problems on a white board on the screen. After a while, she stopped watching all together and just worked in the book.  After she worked the problems, she would record the answers on the computer to be checked.  The process actually worked great.

I think that for a mathy kid, the TT workbook (I wouldn't call it a worktext, personally) would be sufficient for learning the basics but would be unchallenging. For a child who struggles with math, using just the workbook would mean leaving out much of the instruction and the multi-media aspect that speaks to a lot of struggling kids. In either situation, I think there are better alternatives. We use the TT CDs without the workbook.

"the TT workbook (I wouldn't call it a worktext, personally) would be sufficient for learning the basics but would be unchallenging"

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the TT Text includes all of what is on the lecture portion of the CD! 

That might be the case for the actual lesson.   However, the CD lessons include an explanation that works through the solution, if you get the wrong answer.  Which is one of the great things about TT, IMHO.  I don't think that feature is in the workbook.

You can use just the workbook, but I don't feel that you get the full benefit of the program without the CD's.   We switched to TT mid-year a few years ago, and just used the workbook at first.   And it just wasn't the same.   Now we use the CD's without the workbook.

Oh...I see what you are saying. We did the lesson portion together (interactively) so if there was a problem worked incorrectly or one that needed explanation, I did that with my child. Same goes for the actual lesson work. I did not use TT as an independent subject. I agree that you cannot hand the TT text to the student and get the same result as the CD program. I assumed that the OP would be an active participant with the math lesson.

Oh...I see what you are saying. We did the lesson portion together (interactively) so if there was a problem worked incorrectly or one that needed explanation, I did that with my child. Same goes for the actual lesson work. I did not use TT as an independent subject. I agree that you cannot hand the TT text to the student and get the same result as the CD program. I assumed that the OP would be an active participant with the math lesson.

Yes, I would definitely be an active participant in the daily lessons. I also plan on supplementing with LOF and assorted other things. Thanks for all the feedback!

My dd preferred to read and work from the book for TT Alg 1.  She ended up using the computer to watch the solutions for missed problems she couldn't correct on her own.  This system worked well for us and now that we are using something else for geometry (her choice--she wanted a live teacher), she misses not having the solutions/explanations readily available. 

• 4 weeks later...

My 10yrs old used TT3 without the computer a few years back. She struggles with too much stimulation.

We did the computer and then had her do the workbook and she just couldn;t do it. So finally I just took the computer away and just gave her the workbook only. 

The workbook was perfect. Black and white and very repetitive. It really helped her a lot in the beginning to give her the confidence that she needed to see herself succeed in math. My daughter seems to have some kind of memory issue. Very poor long term memory. So frequent repetitive problem was just what she needed. 

• 3 weeks later...